Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 6:45:36 PM EDT
Though I've long had a fascination with gun, and have done a decent amount of studying-up, I'm a relative n00b when it comes to actually shooting them. I've done some shooting, but nothing to the extent to be able to really get a "feel" for any one type of gun. Today, I decided I would take my first step toward changing that.

Ever since I started reading about Sigs, and consumers' reviews of them, I've wanted one of my own. In particular, like many, the 226 is what I've wanted. Well, not having a mountain of money, or experience either, to go out an buy a gun, it suddenly dawned on me that I can just rent a gun. So a few days ago I arranged everything to go shooting today and couldn't wait to finally get some experience with a gun that I've wanted so much. I was not let down. I just didn't want to give it back.

Though, as I said before, my experience with handguns is limited, the gun almost immediately just "felt right." I definitely hope to get that feeling more often.

Anyway, I was very excited to put a couple boxes through the Sig, and I wanted people to know just how excited I was.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful.  Sig Fever (along with Black Rifle Disease) makes heroin addiction seem like a vauge wish for something salty.

That rental will wind up costing you thousands and thousands of dollars over the next few years.

The Sig 226 fits most hands VERY well.  Combine that with simplicity, refinement, superb accuracy, and boring reliability, and you have one of the finest handguns ever made.  May I also STRONGLY recommend the P228 (compact version of the 9mm 226) and the P220 (fullsize .45).  But ALL the classic series Sigs are fantastic pistols.  Those mentioned above are my personal three favorites.  

CDNN has awesome prices on used, police-trade-in Sig pistols, many for under $400.  I have purchased or handled several, and though not cosmetically perfect, all were 95% or better on finish, and 100% on function, at half the cost of new.  Order from them with confidence.  Download the PDF catalog and take a look.

Another tip.  Spend money on a combat handgun course for beginners.  It will seem expensive at first, but you will learn the important fundamentals, safety, and curb any bad habits before they get too ingrained.

Good luck, and get down with the sickness!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Be careful.  Sig Fever (along with Black Rifle Disease) makes heroin addiction seem like a vauge wish for something salty.

That rental will wind up costing you thousands and thousands of dollars over the next few years.

The Sig 226 fits most hands VERY well.  Combine that with simplicity, refinement, superb accuracy, and boring reliability, and you have one of the finest handguns ever made.  May I also STRONGLY recommend the P228 (compact version of the 9mm 226) and the P220 (fullsize .45).  But ALL the classic series Sigs are fantastic pistols.  Those mentioned above are my personal three favorites.  

CDNN has awesome prices on used, police-trade-in Sig pistols, many for under $400.  I have purchased or handled several, and though not cosmetically perfect, all were 95% or better on finish, and 100% on function, at half the cost of new.  Order from them with confidence.  Download the PDF catalog and take a look.

Another tip.  Spend money on a combat handgun course for beginners.  It will seem expensive at first, but you will learn the important fundamentals, safety, and curb any bad habits before they get too ingrained.

Good luck, and get down with the sickness!

Thanks for the advice.

While at the range/store, I handled a 228. Felt just as good as the 226, but the grip was not as nice. The 226 had a rubberized grip, and the 228 just had the traditional textured steel. Other than that, it felt just as good in my hands.

I will definitely look into that course. I have no doubt that it will prove its value many times over.

And, thank you, both for your welcome.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohhh, gotta try a 239 also... And then... and then..... and then.....

It's bad.....

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... The 226 had a rubberized grip, and the 228 just had the traditional textured steel. ...

The rubberized grip you speak of was probably an aftermarket grip such as a Hogue.  You can also get them for P228’s and P229’s.

P226’s are superb handguns, but to my mind the P228/P229’s are a bit better for concealed carry due to their smaller size.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yes.... it starts.... First a 226 then a two-tone, then the 228, the 229, the 239 maybe a .357sig the a .40 sw barrell, my wife never understands,,,  now I jonesin' for a 226x5, just after I got the TRAILSIDE target....  There must be help... out there... somewhere....good thing I don't care for .45's ....

It DOES start out like a drug ,,... just a little bit now and then... but soon it's all you can think of..

Have fun...

F1

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure gets bad. I've shot a Sig but once, and already I feel the bug a little.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Dangerous bug.  I had 5 Sigs at one time, 3 of the 220 in .45ACP.  I only have one GSR now, but plan to replenish.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top