Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2011 8:39:59 AM EDT
I am looking at the M&P .40 for my everyday carry. Right now I have a .45 G21, but looking for smaller. How is the .40 round? Read a little but want some info from those who have used it. And how is the M&P? I know S&W is solid but hoping for a little more info. Thank you ahead of time!
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Well theres not a whole lot to tell except that almost LE in the in states use the .40 has a higher fps over the .45 but very close to the same price in between .40 and the 45. the nice thing of the 40 there is a lot of self defense rounds for it. I still prefer the 45 over the 40.

As for the M&Ps they are solid i think the main complaint that most people have is the trigger. to me just doesnt seem solid enough but their backstraps are the best because besides extending length they get gerth on them as well makes for an ecellent fit
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not just go with the G23? You are already familar with the Glock platform. I carry a G23 and with 14 rounds of .40 it is good!
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why not just go with the G23? You are already familar with the Glock platform. I carry a G23 and with 14 rounds of .40 it is good!

The M&P felt much better in my hand, I have bigger hands and the ergonomics were much better with the M&P for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've carried a .40 both on and off duty for years. I like the bigger, faster round and higher capacity.
It does have more snap to it that a .45 or 9mm. I equate it to the difference between a .38 and .357. But once you get used to shooting it, the snap is not a concern.
For me, it's always been a great compromise between the 9mm higher capacity and the .45 knock down.
I have a G23 and a G27. I actually shoot the G27 more accurately. Plus I use a LW drop in conversion barrel to shoot 9mm.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer .40sw and .45acp to 9mm in most guns.

My Walther PPS is 9mm because I want the extra capacity in this thin compact.

For a full size auto for on or off duty I go with the .40 or .45

IMHO the BEST all around gun for capacity, power, ease of carry and concealment is the Glock 23

I've used G23s in dozens of schools, fired thousands of rounds and they plain work...
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Not much left to say. The ammo falls between the 9mm and .45 in price most places if that makes a difference. As for performance, they are all only handgun rounds and pretty close together as far as energy, etc etc. Use whichever of the three calibers you like with modern ammo and consider yourself well armed. I mostly got into .40 as I turned 21 right before the ban and was not going to pay jacked up prices for standard cap mags I mostly stuck with the cheaper, easier to get 10 rounders. So if you're stuck with only 10 rounds anyway that does eliminate some appeal of the 9mm. So all of my pistols were .40 and .45. I quickly found I didnt have much use for the .45 as the capacity was either low or the pistols giant and ammo was more expensive anyway. Now I shoot a lot more 9mm than I do .40 as it is cheaper than .40 and solid COM hits with 9mm are just as effective with modern ammo as the same with .40 and .45. YMMV.

I will say though the M&P40 is a solid choice in that caliber. I own one and its my favorite full size handgun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not much left to say. The ammo falls between the 9mm and .45 in price most places if that makes a difference. As for performance, they are all only handgun rounds and pretty close together as far as energy, etc etc. Use whichever of the three calibers you like with modern ammo and consider yourself well armed. I mostly got into .40 as I turned 21 right before the ban and was not going to pay jacked up prices for standard cap mags I mostly stuck with the cheaper, easier to get 10 rounders. So if you're stuck with only 10 rounds anyway that does eliminate some appeal of the 9mm. So all of my pistols were .40 and .45. I quickly found I didnt have much use for the .45 as the capacity was either low or the pistols giant and ammo was more expensive anyway. Now I shoot a lot more 9mm than I do .40 as it is cheaper than .40 and solid COM hits with 9mm are just as effective with modern ammo as the same with .40 and .45. YMMV.

I will say though the M&P40 is a solid choice in that caliber. I own one and its my favorite full size handgun.

Any experience with the M&P 40 compact? That is the one I am really looking at for everyday carry, I think I will be going that route as i have been impressed with the reviews and the info here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any experience with the M&P 40 compact? That is the one I am really looking at for everyday carry, I think I will be going that route as i have been impressed with the reviews and the info here.

The M&P.40 is what I carry everyday in a Milt Sparks SSII holster. I have thousands of rounds through my M&P40's with zero problems. The M&P mid size and compact does a good job of taming recoil with 180 grain loadings to that of a 9+p. The c model is very easily concealed and comfortable to carry with good capacity, 10+1 with the c mags and 15+1 with the full sized mags. I only carry the "c" mags for concealed carry. And most importantly its accurate and fun to shoot during practice. I got rid of a problematic G27 for it and am so glad I did. Every other magazine had a stove pipe or a premature slide locking issue with the G27.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the M&P 40c:

Overall I like the gun. I haven't owned it long, but now I have 400 rounds through it in two different range sessions.

I enjoy the M&P platform...in my opinion it is better than the Glock in the same caliber. (I own Glocks too)

The .40 in the M&Pc platform has some recoil to it. I found that I shoot the gun very well during the first 100 rounds or so, but then start to slip. I find myself flinching and generally just getting fatigued in my hands from grabbing on to the gun so tight to control recoil while doing double tap drills. I have shot 165 grain and 180 grain loads. The 180 recoil less, but it's still a good bit more than 9mm.

As a carry gun it's a very good gun. AS this is my first .40 gun, I am still on the edge about the .40. I like the power, that's for sure, but have been struggling at the range when shooting a couple hundred rounds in 45 min or so.

At this stage, I would still recommend the M&P 40c.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the M&P 40c:

Overall I like the gun. I haven't owned it long, but now I have 400 rounds through it in two different range sessions.

I enjoy the M&P platform...in my opinion it is better than the Glock in the same caliber. (I own Glocks too)

The .40 in the M&Pc platform has some recoil to it. I found that I shoot the gun very well during the first 100 rounds or so, but then start to slip. I find myself flinching and generally just getting fatigued in my hands from grabbing on to the gun so tight to control recoil while doing double tap drills. I have shot 165 grain and 180 grain loads. The 180 recoil less, but it's still a good bit more than 9mm.

As a carry gun it's a very good gun. AS this is my first .40 gun, I am still on the edge about the .40. I like the power, that's for sure, but have been struggling at the range when shooting a couple hundred rounds in 45 min or so.

At this stage, I would still recommend the M&P 40c.

I experienced the same problem with the fatigue you speak of with a G27. Stick to the 180 grain pills in the M&P and it should be much less. I don't notice fatigue at all with the M&Pc with the 180's.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never shot one. I will say they fill the hand a bit more than the G27 so it should be a bit easier to shoot. I shot a friends G27 once, that was down right unpleasant The 40c kind of splits the difference between the G23 and the G27 IMO so hopefully its a little easier to shoot at speed than a G27.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Everyone here pretty much said it all...

But my .02 - the .40 is by far my favorite caliber for a few reasons.  It seems to me to be the best compromise between knockdown power and round count.  9mm is high capacity, but not too powerful... .45 is powerful, but lower round count.  .40 is happy medium.  Much faster round than the .45.  I LOVE my 10mm the most, but ammo is hard to find and expensive.  The .40 is the same projectile as the 10mm just with a shorter cartridge and less powder behind it.  I like the .40 platform so much, I currently have TWO Glock 27's and a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in my Glock 20C so I can shoot .40 out of that as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up my new 40c today thing is awesome range time this weekend!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The M&P40c is an outstanding pistol, very easy recoil for a small frame .

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, if you're a fisherman, this ought to make sense.

All calibers are going to have some sort of feel. To me a 9mm is like a crappie. A fast wiggle. A .45 is like a pike. Heavy but steady. The .40 is like a bass. A good, fun smack.

None are uncontrollable. It comes down to personal preference.  Me, I love my .40. But it doesn't stop me from shooting the others.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Picked up my new 40c today thing is awesome range time this weekend!
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/GKgunner/56078287.jpg

Very nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top