Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:49:13 AM EDT

I admit I baby my guns. Which does not stop me from shooting them.
I am sure many of you have or have seen that "swipe" mark from rotating the take down lever on the finish of the reviever during disassembly.

Here is a little trick I learned to prevent that. Take a business card and place it under the lever when rotating it so the lever contacts the card and not the slide itself when it moves.

Am I OCD about my guns? Maybe a little but when they cost as much as a SIG then I guess I am guilty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't worry about that stuff. You can always get it refinished (in most cases a good company will make your gun look better then the day you bought it)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I suppose you could have that done. But how much would it cost with shipping and all. Not to mention the time your pistol is tied up in a shop somewhere.

I just like to take care of my gear - cause it takes care of me
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always done this with my Sig!No marks on mine,hate it when people put those marks on there 1911s also!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You can replace the old style takedown lever with the new style and this problem will go away.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What I've always done is push on the takedown lever shaft from the right side of the frame while swinging the lever down.  Of course it took putting a mark in the frame of a new gun to look for a way to avoid that...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I call it character, something that comes from use.

My old W. German Sig is quite worn.  It's a work horse, not a show horse.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh, who gives a shit seriously... Its a combat pistol meant to be used.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure it's a combat pistol -

But it's an EXPENSIVE combat pistol...

Like alot of you I buy/shoot and sometimes trade my pistols and I take care of them.

To me it's kind of along the same lines of putting scratches in the paint of a Porsche - after all - it's only a car...right ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sure it's a combat pistol -

But it's an EXPENSIVE combat pistol...

Like alot of you I buy/trade my pistols and I take care of them.

To me it's kind of along the same lines of putting scratches in the paint of a Porsche - after all - it's only a sports car...right?

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow. I thought I was anal about my guns. Never been bothered by this though. I think marks from real world use add character. I don't like or want safe queen guns anymore. If I can't use them for fear of marking them up a little I don't want them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
While I probably wont use this little trick, I do thank you for sharing it!  Dont let people who dont like this idea scare you off from sharing tips, tricks and other tid bits, that stuff is always helpful to someone.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While I probably wont use this little trick, I do thank you for sharing it!  Dont let people who dont like this idea scare you off from sharing tips, tricks and other tid bits, that stuff is always helpful to someone.

+1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top