Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 7:46:11 PM EDT
OK,
So I'm pondering purchasing either a 686, GP100 (gasp), 625 or a used 27.  The biggest thing keeping me from getting a 686 or 625 is that damned key-lock.  Is it really that bad?  Are there any reports of it causing any problems (other than being an eye sore)?  I like the GP 'cuz it (surprisingly, considering Bill Ruger's past PC comments) doesn't have a key-lock system.  The 27 I found is older and in great shape too.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 340PD and it has the lock.  No problems yet.  I made sure it was unlocked when I first purchased it and now several months later and many trips to the range, I'd have to do a serious search to find that little key.  Having it on there is really no big deal.  Murphy's law may state otherwise though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
GET A USED LIKE NEW SMITH.But really i have a GP-100 ss 6 INCH and all i can say is it just works!nuttin fancy and to lighten the triger its a simple fix to drop in 2 wolf springs about 10 bucks
i also like how the ruger triger feels ,it kinda pulls back to a ready position then its KA POW!Almost like a 2 stage triger.
last but somthing to concider rugers are about 100 bucks plus cheaper than a comperable smith n wesson.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,
I found a S&W 27 in Great shape (not "turn" marks on the cylinder or anything) for $359.  I many have to pick it up.

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I wont buy any gun with an integral lock.  

Murphy is a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto what Lumpy196 said. Enough trouble will find you in life without inviting it to visit.

"Wait! wait! I gotta find that little key thingie so I can unlock my safe revolver...do over! do over!

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd jump on that 27 Trumpet, that's a good price for one in great shape, and they are really good guns, made when S&W took pride in their work.  Like Scooper, I've got a GP ss with a 6" barrel and it is a good one, damn near indestructable.  Like a lot of others, I don't and won't own a gun with the useless "Lawyer" or "Sellout" safeties.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a new in box S&W model 10 .38spl+p 4"h-bar with a lock and my dealer told me to throw out those keys. If I was nostalgic, maybe put one on my keyring, but dont use it...I put one on my keyring.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Counting DA revolvers only, I've got a Ruger Security-Six, a Ruger GP-100, a S&W 624, and a S&W 625-6 (.45 ACP).  The triggers on the Smiths are superb.  However, I'm not afraid to pound the crap out of the Rugers, and they get used a little harder than the Smiths do.

Are you mostly going to be shooting full power .357 Magnum loads?  If so, get the Ruger.  You can always have an action job done, and the stock grips on the GP-100 are nice, even without finger grooves.  If you're going to be shooting fairly light, target-type loads, pick one of the Smiths and have fun.  I think you'd probably be happier with a used S&W than a new one, but that's just MHO.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
 I just bought a new 686-6 in March. I've never even inserted the key to see if it fits. It doesn't bother me at all.  I don't even notice it except when I'm cleaning and fondling it.  It's the only handgun I own, but I really like it and it fits my hand perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Well,
The 27 was gone, BUT instead I found a NIB unfired S&W 625 from 1990....NO KEYLOCK!!!!!  I'm happy to say the least.

Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top