Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 12:46:12 AM EDT
Anyone have any commentary or own the new SW 1911? Im seriously considering one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
well? did you get it?  I shot a couple rounds thru one and liked it fine. great high grip cut frame. many standard features but also did seem to be of good quality. better than most out there. I'd buy one if I did not have a good 1911. wimpy sights though-
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I posted my recent experiences in this thread today:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=169156&w=myTopicPop

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
They do look good, if not a tad plain all glass beaded.
One example I saw had a gap behind the trigger, like it was out too far.
Just another place to catch dirt, I thought.
The rest of the gun was flawlessly done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried one in the store (dry fire) a couple weeks back since we can't buy them here in MA yet (isn't that ironic). I did not like the trigger. I found it heavy and uncomfortable, and *if* I were to get one, I'd have a trigger job done on it immediately. That seems to be an un-necessary cost to me for a supposed Custom Shop gun with a high price tag. On the flip side, once it's available (I understand the AG here had finally approved it), it will be the only new 1911 available in the state.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahh, such is life in the communist state of Massachusetts.  

I think we would be alot safer if we took the booz away from the Kennedys!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have looked seriously into the sw1911 myself. Let me know if you buy one and how it works out. I  have had a hankering to buy a 1911 and have narrowed it down to a springfield or the sw1911.The sw1911 sure looks beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a SW1911 and am very happy with it.  Fit and finish are excellent.  Great site.  Really like the weight and feel.  Very accurate.  My only gripe is that the trigger is a little heavy - about a 6 pound pull.  Rear checkering is also a little sharp, but you get used to it.  For other reviews, try going to www.1911forum.com - an excellent site for all things related to 1911.  BTW - I believe the SW1911 has been approved for sale in Mass. Malpaso.  Try callling Four Seasons in Woburn (although I believe they have a pretty large waiting list).  Might try purchasing one out of state and having them transfer to local FFL.  May be able to get if faster and cheaper. (This of course assumes my info is correct and gun can now be sold in Mass.)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The gun has been approved in MASS but the A.G. is dragging his feet with the paperwork.  I got this info from Smith & Wesson when I test fired the 1911 at their training center.  They were pretty upset about it and pointed to a stack of them waiting for delivery.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one and after a few of my favorite modifications, I love it (I always install an extended slide release and wrap around grips). I think the trigger pull could use a little lightening. So far, it has digested everything I fed it. When I compare it to my Kimbers, I find that they rhyme very well and S&W has come out with a premium product that will only get better with time and owners comments. I knew we (the SW1911 and myself) were gunna get along just fine when I took it to the farm, threw out an unopened diet pepsi can about 20 yards, and created a nice brown eruption with my first shot using 230 gr ball ammo. I think this weekend, I'll play with some 185 gr +P and see how I like it compared with my standard 200 gr loads.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought my SW1911 today. Picked it up at the Houston gun show for $640 out the door! I will be taking it to the range for a full day of shooting tomorrow. There is something to be said for buying something different but, from a name you can trust. Kimbers are great, but I just fell in love with the way this pistol looks. The Eclipse was my second choice, but for the difference in price, this was a no brainer. I will post a new thread on Tuesday with my range review.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from the range and all I have to say is that this is the best box stock 1911 I have ever shot!!! 355 rounds in rapid fire or double taps and no FTF or FTE's! I also used everything from 165gr JHP to USA and UMC ball and even the new UMC leadless. From 7 yards, I had constant X ring double taps and this was draw and fire from concealed carry. If .45 was not so damn expensive, I would never shoot my 92FS and 96 Beretta's again! I was going to buy a new Bushy this weekend, but I am so glad I got this gun. Best $640 I ever spent!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The gun has been approved in MASS but the A.G. is dragging his feet with the paperwork.  I got this info from Smith & Wesson when I test fired the 1911 at their training center.  They were pretty upset about it and pointed to a stack of them waiting for delivery.

No longer the case. Where are you in the state? You can drive out to Springfield and get one at the factory. Or, if you are neay Hyannis, go to Powderhorn; I think he has them in stock. I am waiting for 4 Seasons to get them in. I'm on the waiting list. No rush, since I don't have the cash yet.

I did put 50 rounds through one out at the factory before they were approved for MA and I liked it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Emoto: I got a call from my dealer on 5/30 and was able to pick my SW1911 up!  I have put 200 rounds through the pistol with no problems.  Verry accurate too.

I live about an hours drive from Springfield and made a trip to testfire the 1911.  There indoor range is the nicest I have seen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, that is a sweet range, isn't it?

What kind of a deal did you get (if you don't mind my asking). I hear they sell them for $749. at the factory...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top