Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2012 5:12:37 PM EDT
Just got home with my SD9VE.  I thought I would do some initial comparisons with my SD9.

The SD9 came in a plastic clamshell box with 2 magazines.  The SD9VE also came with 2 magazines but was shipped in a blue S&W cardboard box.

Here are a few comparison pics.

SD9 (black slide) above the SD9VE (silver slide)

The slide is melonited on the original SD9 and left bright stainless on the SD9VE. This is really the only noticeable difference until you really look close.

The SD9 has been my CCW gun for a while now, the finish is holding up extremely well.
I saw a post that indicated that the loaded chamber indicator might be different, but it is not, not on mine anyway.

You can see that the sights are different.  The SD9 rear sight has a set screw that the SD9VE sight does not.

The front sights are similar, but the SD9 has a front night sight, versus just a white dot on the SD9VE.

The SD9VE also has a different, and better, trigger than the SD9.  The weight is about the same but the length of pull on the VE is shorter and slightly smoother.  I expect it to get even smoother when it's had a bunch of rounds through it.  The triggers aren't very different, and I probably wouldn't notice if I didn't have them right here to compare back to back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It is interesting to note the differences. I am the one that posted the comment about the differing loaded chamber indicators. I wonder if they are changing the LCI or if a different version will be offered for a specific market?

As I mentioned in the other thread, the manual states there is a different manual for SDs and SD-VEs. Can you compare manuals and see what the differences are?

Here is a pic of the front of the SD-VE manual:

Then here are a couple pics of the part of the manual referencing the LCI:

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The manual for the SD9VE is the same as yours, the one for the SD9 is different and doesn't have the "new" style LCI.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I was wondering why they would have a different manual for the two, but I guess if the LCIs are going to be different it makes sense to change it.

I am still curious about the LCIs too. I wonder if they are going to make both, or if they are planning on changing to the pop up version? Seems like a lot more work to mill the slot and holes for the pop up version, then the parts would have to be assembled. Seems backwards for a budget pistol, but who knows for sure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks. I was wondering why they would have a different manual for the two, but I guess if the LCIs are going to be different it makes sense to change it.

I am still curious about the LCIs too. I wonder if they are going to make both, or if they are planning on changing to the pop up version? Seems like a lot more work to mill the slot and holes for the pop up version, then the parts would have to be assembled. Seems backwards for a budget pistol, but who knows for sure.

They might know something we don't regarding current or impending legislation in some state(s) requiring tactile LCI's.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Or they are just covering all of their bases.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the write up OP. I am glad to see that the SD line is not going away. In fact with the drop in price it may really take off.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a post over on the S&W forum that indicates that the triggers are exactly the same between the SD9 and SD9VE so any differences in mine, and just differences in two individual guns.

And the rear sight is plastic on the VE, front is steel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw a post over on the S&W forum that indicates that the triggers are exactly the same between the SD9 and SD9VE so any differences in mine, and just differences in two individual guns.

Thats good as thats the one most subject to holster wear anyway. I thought the standard SD was a decent value but with the price drop I think its a great pistol for the money, at least for CCW.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats good as thats the one most subject to holster wear anyway. I thought the standard SD was a decent value but with the price drop I think its a great pistol for the money, at least for CCW.

I agree, I shoot my SD9 well and it's been 100% reliable, I see no reason the SD9VE will be any different and it's a bargain.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The 2nd version of LCI is most likely ONLY for states that mandate a tactile indicator - like Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 2nd version of LCI is most likely ONLY for states that mandate a tactile indicator - like Kalifornia.

That would make manufactor more complicated, having two types of LCI. A spring loaded bar that comes up would not bother me although I prefer the little hole. Wonder why they dont go with a piece on the extractor that sticks out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top