Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2002 5:23:58 PM EDT

I was at work earlier.  Showed a guy the Pro-CDP and notices some slight rust on the barrel.  I look at it closely and see the barrel is covered be light rust enough that it did not just wipe off.  I go in the back and look at two other Pro-CDP's we had.  One had not been opened and it had a good bit of rust on the barrel the other did not have any.  
What the hell is this?  A $1k handgun that had a stainless barrel that rusts!  Between this and the Series II 'problems' there is no question that I'll be getting the STI now.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem is partly due to the barrel... it's not stainless. Kimber uses mostly carbon steel barrels that they leave "in the white". IIRC only two of Kimbers guns (two full size guns) have stainless steel barrels. I've seen allot worse from Kimber in terms of rust including a couple of "stainless" guns I had in my shop that were anything but stainless. If the current crop of Kimbers had a better surface treatment his wouldn't be as big of a problem as it seems to be. I have an earlier stainless steel Kimber that has a very different finish than their current product and I can tell you for sure that its smoother finish is much less prone to moisture collection.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember that it is:

stain less

This does not mean that it will not rust.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks drjeffallen, I do know that stainless can rust.  I was actually not that surprised about the one with a little surface rust that was in the case as it has been handled a good bit without being cleaned off.  The new Kimber that had yet to be opened was a big more disconcerting.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks drjeffallen, I do know that stainless can rust.  I was actually not that surprised about the one with a little surface rust that was in the case as it has been handled a good bit without being cleaned off.  The new Kimber that had yet to be opened was a big more disconcerting.  

Sounds like bad storage practices somewhere in the pipeline.  I just bought another SS today....its always frustating to buy a gun for those characterics and still see failures for whatever reason...
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My main carry piece, a UCII in stainless, has developed a little rust along the muzzle that is driving me crazy. There is a little discoloration on the left side of the hammer too. I guess that is the price to pay for carrying it daily, but it shouldn't do that for the price paid after only six months.

Hopefully, you will never have to collect an insurance reimbursement directly from the pistol.  I carry the same daily and I hope that it slowly rust/decays without having to stop a threat against you/me or our family.
Top Top