Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2023 4:49:54 PM EDT
Good, bad, and ugly please. Considering one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO you're better off with a S&W 686+ 3", the 7 shot GP100's have been somewhat problematic with (very) stick case extraction.  I had one and had to beat the ejector rod with a mallet to get the brass out.    I like the GP100, but only as 6 shot guns.  For 7 shots, I think S&W does it better.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Last I heard Ruger had long since fixed the sticking issue with the early 7 shot models.  

Any of the new guns available today should be fine.  I've been jonesing for a 7 shot 4.2".  I have a couple 3" GP100's and I love them.  While I'm not a fan of revolvers shorter than 3", you can't really go wrong with a GP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last I heard Ruger had long since fixed the sticking issue with the early 7 shot models.  

Any of the new guns available today should be fine.  I've been jonesing for a 7 shot 4.2".  I have a couple 3" GP100's and I love them.  While I'm not a fan of revolvers shorter than 3", you can't really go wrong with a GP.
View Quote

I have the 4.2" 7-shot and it has been great. The newer ones have fixed the problems the earlier ones had.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I know Ruger had a problem with the SP line of tight cylinders. I have a 3” SP101 327 fed and it is about 2 years old. No problems with it. Have heard Smith and Wesson QC has not been good. Leaning towards the GP.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know Ruger had a problem with the SP line of tight cylinders. I have a 3” SP101 327 fed and it is about 2 years old. No problems with it. Have heard Smith and Wesson QC has not been good. Leaning towards the GP.
View Quote

I bought two new smiths this year. A 66 and 629

66 was nearly immaculate

629 was pretty nice but there is some chatter marks on the forcing cone from where they cut it. Nothing terrible but my other smith(586 bought in 2018) with a 1 piece barrel does not exhibit any chatter. Doesnt seem to effect anything however

Both had really terribly cut rear sight blades. Very pronounced on the 629. The 66 blade was smaller and less pronounced so I didnt catch it at first. But when I bought the 629 it stuck out like a sore thumb. They had to have had a horrible batch done and just decided to roll with it which is super annoying. Both fixed by them sending me new rear sight assemblies. The 629 is straight now. The 66 is close enough

Both shoot incredibly well. The 629 has the most fantastic double action trigger that I have ever felt on a revolver. I am not sure if thats due to the slightly larger frame and or the weight, but it feels smoother than my other smiths.

Im not sure if they had a guy with horrible eye sight or what on the QC. But the rear sights were pretty pathetic. Otherwise the revolvers were in tip top shape for the most part.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Hammer looks off center too
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]

That is a pretty expensive gun, and very easy to look at.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Smaller barrel options I would consider a 627 performance center. 8 shots of .357 > 7 shots.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 7 shot GP100 357 when they were new.  They had issues where the rounds wouldnt all fit without binding up.  I RMA'd mine and they sent me a 6 shot match champion whats been perfect.

No clue if they fixed their issue yet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a 2019 made 7shot gp100 that binded terribly.  Sent it back to the factory and was advised it was "unfixable" and they would be replacing it with a brand new gun.  I asked if I could swap it with a 6 shot model and they did it for free.  Cost me a extra transfer fee but thats what I get for not doing my homework.  I've read that Ruger "fixed" the 7 shot guns prior to mine being made.

IMO there is no fix, the tolerances are so tight that due to tolerance stacking some guns work fine and some don't.
Top Top