Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2023 9:54:47 PM EDT
I have had a Ruger Security Six, all of my other revolvers have been S&W. I have been thinking about a 4” barrel GP 100. What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold my gp100 4" some years back to buy my first 1911. I regret it deeply and one of these days hope to find another gp at a price I'm willing to pay to replace it.

It's a tank of a revolver in the way it's built. Not as refined in fit and finish as a smith, but balances well and has a great reputation and can shoot better than me. Oddly enough, when it comes to wheel guns I currently have one Ruger (a Blackhawk) and the rest are all smiths. I say go for it. It's one of the guns I've let go I miss the most.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote saying go for it.

4" carries well if you plan to do that (within reason) and shoots really well.  It balances really well with a 4" barrel.
They are excessively overbuilt and will oulast anything you could possibly throw at them.  
As the other poster said, they are not as refined, and it will show in the trigger pull and it will feel a little clunky but it will get better the more you shoot it or more you dry fire it.
Easy to work on if you want to tinker a little bit.  Changing out the main spring to make the trigger pull a little easier (while maintaining reliability) is not hard at all.  There are videos on youtube about how and where to polish internals if you really want to.

They just work and they look good and are worth the price tag in the wheelgun world today.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The GP-100 is a fine revolver. Find one used in excellent condition and at a fair price. You can’t go wrong with it should you ever need to sell it for money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The GP is a fine gun.

But I would find another Security-Six if I were in the hunt for a Ruger.

The SS is a better-looking gun. Find one that doesn’t have lawyer-puke on it if possible.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend a fewore bucks and get the Ruger Match Champion.

I liked it better than my model 27
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
i've got a 4.2" stainless up in the EE priced better than gunbroker

may list a 4.2" blued as well, fucking bills hit HARD this month

both new in the box, i never got around to doing anything with either since i've got a bunch of K frames laying around already
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the reviews. I really appreciate them.
Mark
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The GP100 is a fine revolver and comes in many forms. While it is a bit larger than other guns, it just fits me the best. The 4" barrel, to me, is a great all around length.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I will second the Match Champion. Wonderful revolver.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought the 4" SS model and its a nice well built 357.  I can tell this was made to shoot full power 357 loads.  Like the trigger as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend a fewore bucks and get the Ruger Match Champion.

I liked it better than my model 27
View Quote
yeah

The Match Champion is awesome. Well worth the small extra cost over the base GP100.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
They're on the big side for CCW but could be done in a pitch.  If you want to CCW a revolver you could try an LCR or SP-101 instead.  

They are excellent hiking/mountain guns.  I can shoot them very accurately out to 50 yards, better than I can with something like a Glock.  

For a revolver they're pretty easy to take apart.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yeah

The Match Champion is awesome. Well worth the small extra cost over the base GP100.
View Quote

How’s the recoil/flip with that model with .357s? It seems to be significantly lighter up front than the standard models.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Heck yeah is always the answer.  Mine are 3" but the 4" is high on my list of wants.  Great guns that will probably survive a nuclear blast.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How’s the recoil/flip with that model with .357s? It seems to be significantly lighter up front than the standard models.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah

there's a full lug match champion but it never seems to be in stock anywhere
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The GP100 is one of my favorites, it's a very solid gun that will last forever.   Stock for stock S&W has a better trigger, the GP100 can be made to have a good trigger with a Wolff reduced power spring kit, but even then the S&W has a better single action pull.  I'd have a hard time choosing between say a GP100 and a 686, but would lean more towards the 686 although that's no knock on the GP100, it's a fine option.  I do like the cylinder release on the GP100 better than what S&W uses and the quickly interchangeable front sight is a plus too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

It’s the best balance and feel out of all my revolvers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I really need to grab a Match Champion and put a dot on it. Thanks for the input on the balance and recoil.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Stout
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My first and only wheel gun is a GP100 6" 357. pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_1571_jpeg-2840417.JPG

It’s the best balance and feel out of all my revolvers.
View Quote

Sexy!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I've owned a 4" stainless for many years.  I don't carry it anymore but just the other day took it out of the safe and ran 50rds of 357 through it.  

Man, that brought back the memories of a line of guys qualifying, noise, flash, and a bit of recoil.  Fun.

The gun feels indestructible and has a decent trigger.  Buy one!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was a Lipseys exclusive or limited edition - something like that.  I scored one on GB a while back and use it in IDPA.  Fantastic gun with a wonderful balance.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I miss my GP-100. I wish I’d never sold that revolver. It was a great pistol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was a Lipseys exclusive or limited edition - something like that.  I scored one on GB a while back and use it in IDPA.  Fantastic gun with a wonderful balance.

https://i.imgur.com/qIlbVoe.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's a TALO model, ruger # 01786

i've got them on my wants lists and one backordered, maybe ruger will decide to make some more one of these days
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Talo!  Thats it.  I could not remember what the special model was for.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I eventually want to get a Match Champion in 10mm.  I still kick my butt for not buying one when CDNN had them for $599 in 2019.  Oh well.

This is my only GP100.  Bought her back in the 90’s.  Paid $350 for it.  Sure miss those days.  Should have bought more revolvers then instead of those plastic/fantastic guns.

OP you will love a 4” model.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is AWESOME…!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Talo!  Thats it.  I could not remember what the special model was for.  Thanks!
View Quote

i checked gunbroker and there are 3 that are damned reasonably priced
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't dissuade you from a GP at all. If you're also considering used ones, try to find one
before MIM. (There may be some 'new', old-stock examples also).
IF you see a hollow channel behind the trigger, like with a Smith, it's MIM.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought this thing:

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is my only GP100.  Bought her back in the 90’s.  Paid $350 for it.  Sure miss those days.  Should have bought more revolvers then instead of those plastic/fantastic guns.

OP you will love a 4” model.

View Quote

My 1st GP 100 was the 6" blue model, paid a little less than $300 then.  Sold it a few years later.

My dumbass friend got a 4" SS model at the same time, which he put on consignment for $250 (by mistake) 10 years later.  In actuality, he got less than $200 for it....

Presently, I got (back) a Stainless model in both 4" and 6" (still brand new)  - NOT gonna sell these.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Shot like 130-something rounds yesterday, and have been dry-firing it a good bit. Everything seems to work, smoothly. The ejector rod needed a drop of oil. I’d describe the finish as “utilitarian”, with the brushed stainless surface having less glare than a highly polished one would. The front sight was difficult to see in low light or against dark backgrounds, so it got red nail polish.

The Hogue grip seems to do its job without being squishy and sticky.  The loads I shot are near-max .38 +p in the book, at least, and between the grips and the weight, recoil was very mild, and I can shoot this thing fairly quickly. The trigger is heavy, but really smooth. I may install a lighter spring in the future, but for now I’ll keep it. Its smooth enough that the weight doesn’t bother me, and I’ve got these hard Eastern European primers, which this gun lit off with no problems. Overall, I think its an excellent trigger.

POI was significantly high and left. Adjusting to a 6 o’clock hold helped, but still left and a little high.  I intend to put a RDS on it. I need to get some proper .357 brass and see what she does loaded all the way. Its a full ounce heavier than a full-size 1911 with mag funnel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shot like 130-something rounds yesterday, and have been dry-firing it a good bit. Everything seems to work, smoothly. The ejector rod needed a drop of oil. I'd describe the finish as "utilitarian", with the brushed stainless surface having less glare than a highly polished one would. The front sight was difficult to see in low light or against dark backgrounds, so it got red nail polish.

The Hogue grip seems to do its job without being squishy and sticky.  The loads I shot are near-max .38 +p in the book, at least, and between the grips and the weight, recoil was very mild, and I can shoot this thing fairly quickly. The trigger is heavy, but really smooth. I may install a lighter spring in the future, but for now I'll keep it. Its smooth enough that the weight doesn't bother me, and I've got these hard Eastern European primers, which this gun lit off with no problems. Overall, I think its an excellent trigger.

POI was significantly high and left. Adjusting to a 6 o'clock hold helped, but still left and a little high.  I intend to put a RDS on it. I need to get some proper .357 brass and see what she does loaded all the way. Its a full ounce heavier than a full-size 1911 with mag funnel.
View Quote
Does your gun not have adjustable sights?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#36]
The new 3" Wiley Clapp 7-shot is tiddies.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOT my auction

Also not my auction.

My GP100 (and Spyderco Kerambit)

Mine was a gift from my father while I was in the Marines.
Dad later asked if he could use it for teaching people in CCW classes, and I said sure, why not.
The has had roughly 8k rounds of lightly loaded 38 special through it.
It also has about 10k dry fire cycles through it.
This has resulted in the trigger being smooth as butter.

Love this gun.
Not going to sell it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does your gun not have adjustable sights?
View Quote

It does. I just haven’t adjusted them yet. Because I failed to bring a tiny screwdriver to the range. I’ve got a RDS for it; just need an adapter plate, which will install in place of the rear sight assembly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It does. I just haven’t adjusted them yet. Because I failed to bring a tiny screwdriver to the range. I’ve got a RDS for it; just need an adapter plate, which will install in place of the rear sight assembly.
View Quote

Shot it again today. Adjusted the sights with a few rounds of 148gr .38 +p wadcutters, and a handful of factory .357 158gr of JSP and JHP varieties.

Shot another 50 factory .357 158gr JSPs. I was able to keep almost all of them in a 4” circle at 25yds, most at least breaking lines on a 3”, and all of them within a 8” circle. So, it seems to do what it’s supposed to do.

Recoil, noise and flash were much more notable than they were with .38s, but not objectionable. Shooting much more than I shot today would trigger frequent dry fire at the range, though.

Its a nice shooting gun with a good trigger. I need to chamfer the charge holes a hair.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Any suggestions for a holster for a 4.2” one with a red dot sight mounted?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#41]
The Gp100 is excellent.  They do benefit greatly from putting in a Wolfe reduced power spring kit, really transforms it.  I still think the 686 has a better single action, but the double action on a GP100 I think is better, it's not as heavy.  I like the cylinder release button better too.  I have the 4.2" Match Champion 10mm Gp100, really wish S&W would come out with an L frame 10mm/.40.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any suggestions for a holster for a 4.2” one with a red dot sight mounted?
View Quote

I don't think they list them on the website yet but JM Custom can make them. either the OWB1 model or AIWB.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I will differ from the majority opinion.

Granted they are real good revolvers but for me shooting a revolver is all about the trigger and to me the Rugers are a step below a S&W .

Ruger folks will reply that their Ruger with a spring kit and some tuning by a gunsmith will have a trigger just as good as a S&W. Maybe so but if you spend the time and effort to have a stock S&W trigger tuned you will have a beautiful thing that you will be hard pressed to get In a Ruger.

I know there are lots of Ruger guys out there that don't look at these things like I do.

I also don't believe there is much of any strength difference between the cast Ruger and the forged S&W guns using factory ammo .. If one is at the ragged edge of super hot 357 reloads maybe one should consider a caliber that starts with a 4 or a 5
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I kept the 4 inch and sold the 6 inch.  Have no plans to part with it, my favorite wheel gun.  Bought it used, and really had to scrub the carbon rings out of the cylinders from previous owners .38 loads, but it had very light use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't think they list them on the website yet but JM Custom can make them. either the OWB1 model or AIWB.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I am a huge Ruger revolver guy, but MUCH prefer the old style grips with the wood inserts.

Just my personal opinion.  Looking for a Toklat 454, but they are like hen's teeth.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#47]
GP100s have sure gotten pricey since I last bought one. Dayum.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The new 3" Wiley Clapp 7-shot is tiddies.
View Quote

I have one of the older six shots.  Probably the best revolver I own, and that includes Pythons and a Smith 27.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I've had several Security Six revolvers over the years.  I recently gave a 4" blue (Made in the200th Year) to my son.  I gave a 4" Stainless to the wife years ago.  We still have it.

Last year I sold a stainless 4" GP 100 7-shot here on the EE.  Realized pretty quick I made a mistake so started looking.

My LGS got a 4" blue in so I got it.  I installed the fancier insert grips and a fiber optic front sight.  I'm keeping this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've had several Security Six revolvers over the years.  I recently gave a 4" blue (Made in the200th Year) to my son.  I gave a 4" Stainless to the wife years ago.  We still have it.

Last year I sold a stainless 4" GP 100 7-shot here on the EE.  Realized pretty quick I made a mistake so started looking.

My LGS got a 4" blue in so I got it.  I installed the fancier insert grips and a fiber optic front sight.  I'm keeping this one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/20230306_150518__Medium__jpg-2876111.JPG
View Quote

It is a handsome revolver.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top