Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 2:34:27 PM EDT
Hello all, I am looking for a revolver(DUH!), one that can pull double duty as a fun range gun and a formidable "bear backup". Anything under $850 retail is fair game for me and I don't care too much about ammo price, so feel free to name any caliber with allotta' stopping power. Size does not really matter because I am not gonna' try to conceal it or anything, I was thinking somewhere around a 7or8 inch barrel, but I am open to barrel length suggestions. Pictures of yer' revolvers would also be welcome seeing as 1911 folks allready have theire pic thread. Thanx guys
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a bear gun as well as a fun shooter, I would recommend a Model 29 Classic from S&W.
There are others with a bit more power, ie. .454 Casull, .480 Ruger and .500S&W but you said you want a gun which is fun to shoot also.  Stick with a .44 mag.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger SRH in .454 Casull also shoots .45 long colt.  I can tell you from experience that everytime you let someone shoot a hot .454 round, somebody will be smiling.  Speaking only for the .454 the ballistics are impressive and I enjoy going to the range with mine every time.  A little recoil heavy but you can shoot the Winchester hunting loads and get away from a lot of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Another advocate for a S&W 29/629  can't go wrong with this classic .44  If you absolutely need to have a bruising to shoot and bruising to your wallet revolover, then get a .454 or .480.  But if you can find an extra $50.......This usually will put the .454/480 advocates to shame, especially considering its a S&W with the normal terrific trigger.

or if you prefer the shorter barrel:
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what your uses may require but D/A Revolvers can be somewhat fragile. I tend to prefer S/A Revolvers so the choice would be easy for me. I like to carry 4 1/2" Revolvers, I like to shoot 7 1/2" or 10" Revolvers so I generally carry a 5 1/2" or 6" Revolver as they are easy to live with as an all purpose Revolver. If it were me I would acquire a Blue or Stainless Super Blackhawk (44 Mag), or a Stainless Blackhawk (45 Colt).
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum.  Plenty of power, fun to shoot, and you can pick up ammo at Wally World.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top