Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 2:34:27 PM EDT
Hello all, I am looking for a revolver(DUH!), one that can pull double duty as a fun range gun and a formidable "bear backup". Anything under $850 retail is fair game for me and I don't care too much about ammo price, so feel free to name any caliber with allotta' stopping power. Size does not really matter because I am not gonna' try to conceal it or anything, I was thinking somewhere around a 7or8 inch barrel, but I am open to barrel length suggestions. Pictures of yer' revolvers would also be welcome seeing as 1911 folks allready have theire pic thread. Thanx guys
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:15:02 PM EDT
If you want a bear gun as well as a fun shooter, I would recommend a Model 29 Classic from S&W.
There are others with a bit more power, ie. .454 Casull, .480 Ruger and .500S&W but you said you want a gun which is fun to shoot also.  Stick with a .44 mag.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:26:10 PM EDT
Ruger SRH in .454 Casull also shoots .45 long colt.  I can tell you from experience that everytime you let someone shoot a hot .454 round, somebody will be smiling.  Speaking only for the .454 the ballistics are impressive and I enjoy going to the range with mine every time.  A little recoil heavy but you can shoot the Winchester hunting loads and get away from a lot of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 6:02:59 PM EDT by InFALliBill]
Another advocate for a S&W 29/629  can't go wrong with this classic .44  If you absolutely need to have a bruising to shoot and bruising to your wallet revolover, then get a .454 or .480.  But if you can find an extra $50.......This usually will put the .454/480 advocates to shame, especially considering its a S&W with the normal terrific trigger.

or if you prefer the shorter barrel:
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:19:31 PM EDT
I don't know what your uses may require but D/A Revolvers can be somewhat fragile. I tend to prefer S/A Revolvers so the choice would be easy for me. I like to carry 4 1/2" Revolvers, I like to shoot 7 1/2" or 10" Revolvers so I generally carry a 5 1/2" or 6" Revolver as they are easy to live with as an all purpose Revolver. If it were me I would acquire a Blue or Stainless Super Blackhawk (44 Mag), or a Stainless Blackhawk (45 Colt).
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:30 PM EDT
I would recommend the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum.  Plenty of power, fun to shoot, and you can pick up ammo at Wally World.
Top Top