Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 7:07:39 PM EDT
Okay, need advice on a fantasy purchase (it'll happen eventually but I'm broke right now). I've got a Browning Buckmark and it's one of my favorite pistols. Problem is, I buggered one of the sight rib screws so I can't strip the thing down completely for cleaning until I get it replaced. The design was always a little annoying but now it's a flat-out pain.

Back when I was first looking for a .22, I was considering a Ruger (both MkII and 22/45) but thought *they* were kind of a PITA to reassemble.

Can anyone recommend a good .22 semi-auto that's as reliable, affordable and accurate as a Buckmark or a Ruger but takes down like a "normal" pistol? Lock the slide, pop the slide release, slide upper from lower? I'd rather not just get a kit for an existing centerfire handgun. Walther P22?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you use an EZ-out extractor on the buggered screw? When you go to drill the hole for the extractor, use a lefthanded drill bit instead of a conventional one, and it may unscrew the screw for you without your ever having to deal with the ex-out itself.

Or, take the gun to s machine shop or smith to do it for you. Should be cheap. I have a Buckmark and it is far too good a shooter to ever part with...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my Ruger 22/45 and its a snap to put together. See link...
www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip_quick.htm
Its the same for the MkII or 22/45.
Add Solow mounts and a good red dot and its deadly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's the front screw on that Buckmark thats stripped, just remove the rear screw and lift the whole assembly off.
I think the early ones used a slotted screw, the later uses hex head and should be relatively inexpensive from Browning.
Get a few recoil buffers too, while you have them on the phone.
They are easily lost when removing the recoil spring and do need replacing when worn out.

As far as the "fantasy purchase"...Beretta model 87 Cheetah .22LR..."normal" but pricey.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
i never understand people who say the ruger's are tough to break down and re-assemble

it's easy as hell, just read the directions
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I gotta buy a thesaurus - I keep giving the wrong impression . I am *not* parting with the Buckmark (!), Emoto, just looking for another .22 to add to the stable but one that breaks down without tools.

DOA and Red_Beard, I'd always heard a lot of griping about dis-/re-assembly but that link makes it look pretty damned straightforward to me. If/when I get serious about buying, I think I'll go to a "toy store" when it's slow and ask the guy if I can just do it then and there. Find out first-hand once and for all.

Anothergene, it *is* the front (muzzle-end) screw and it's a hex-head. I tried removing the rear screw and pivoting on the front but having to lift over the recoil spring plug was starting to put a slight bend in the sight rail. I'll probably end up buying a new rail when I order the screw, just to keep everything plumb. Should probably buy a bunch of stuff while I'm at it, too, or I'll spend $7 shipping for a $2 screw! Cheap bastard that I am....
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a Buckmark and love it. A buddy I shoot with loved it so much also that he had his wife buy him one for Christmas. On mine, I had to put LokTite on the rear screw because it always worked loose. On his, he couldn't get the rear screw loose-it kept on just twisting the allen wrench. He took it to a local Browning authorized repair shop and got it removed and replaced for free. Try that option, or just send it back directly to Browning in Arnold, MO. They're pretty good people-likely you can get this repaired for FREE.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DOA and Red_Beard, I'd always heard a lot of griping about dis-/re-assembly but that link makes it look pretty damned straightforward to me. If/when I get serious about buying, I think I'll go to a "toy store" when it's slow and ask the guy if I can just do it then and there. Find out first-hand once and for all.

One warning, don't base your buy/don't buy decision on the first time you take the Ruger appart.  It can go a little slow the first couple of times until you get the routine down.  That said I find mine to be a snap to disassemble and reassemble.  I can do it at the range in under a minute each for disassembly / reassembly (using my clip loading tool to release the latch ).

If there is someone at the shop that has REAL expirience with the Ruger MK II have them show you how they do it.

I own both the Ruger and the Buckmark, if I had to choose between the two it would be the Ruger, no hesitation.

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top