Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 10:16:19 AM EDT
Midway shook me out of my masterplan. They ran the Forster Co-Ax for 185.00 this month, so I jiggled my budget and got the last item I need to reload 10mm (still need the "makins").

One thing I am interested in is drilling the 100 yard targets at my local range. I have tried several commercial loads with varying degrees of success- and been surprised at what got better results.

Do any of you have an accurate load you have used at this range in your Glock 20? I will naturally try any number of combinations, but would be interested in comparing them with a load someone else has had good results with.

WalterGA, if you are out there, I know you throw Hail Marys. What do you use??

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Search for McNett on Glock Talk.  He  lists some good info.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, tfod. Will do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
IM using his info on 800-x at this time.  Flat primers... no case buldge.  Bar-Sto barrel.  

Doesn't meter well, but is a sweet powder.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Callgood:  I've never done any 10mm reloading.  I have done a lot of shooting @ 100 yds. with my Glocks, though.  Best groups I ever shot were shooting .40 Super, which is similar in ballistics to 10mm.  I use AA#7, exclusively, for .40 Super; I understand that Accurate Arms recommends AA#7, above their other powders, for 10mm reloading.

I plan to get a KKM .45/10mm conversion barrel, probably threaded, for comp use, in the not-too-distant future.  I'll get some 10mm dies and do a little reloading when that happens.  Colorado Glocker, on GT, is doing a lot of experimenting with his G21 longslide, equipped with a 6" 10mm KKM conversion barrel.  He's claiming some pretty good groups; don't know if he's doing any 100-yd. shooting, or not.

One thing I would recommend, if you're not already doing it, is using the Elmer Keith method of sight picture acquisition for long-range handgun shooting.  I hold @ 6:00 o'clock, and simply raise the front sight to compensate for longer ranges.  That way, you always have a clear view of your target, and the front sight width is inconsequential.  Some folks think that a thin front sight is necessary for long-range handgunning.  Not so.  A thin front sight will allow for quicker target acquisition, in that you'll see more daylight around the sight, but that's irrelevant to long-range shooting.  Every front sight has an infinitely-narrow centerline; use it.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Walter. I'll try to get over to Glock Talk. I have used the Keith technique on my outings. I had to wait until after deer season. I swear there were guys trying to sight in the last week of the season. Dropped by in the middle of the week on my way to Birmingham and had a good session. I was surprised that I got better groups with 180 gr lead in my KKM barrel than I did with some 180 gr FMJ from Doubletap. Will try the FMJs in the factory barrel and see if there is much improvement.

1. I shot the FMJ after around a hundred lead bullets. I'm wondering if I didn't clean the barrel sufficiently.

2. My pistol likes the lead loaded to a lower fps than the hot Double Tap- My S&W model 41 likes subsonic better than anything else I have tried, i.e. Stingers.

Looks like I have a good deal of experimenting to do. Could take years. Sounds fun to me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top