Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2003 8:20:36 PM EDT
Took my recently acquired FEG PA-63 to the range this am and here is my report:

Reference Photo:

This is a PRK listed handgun and I got it from an FFL out of state via www.gunbroker.com

Total cost with gun,s/h & fees was about $160. Unfortunately my local FFL rarely has in stock what I want.

Came with 2 magazines and leather holster. Magzines hold 6 rounds of 9mm Makarov.

I purchased a Fobus Holster that was listed as fitting the PA63 by a dealer, but it DID NOT fit well at all. Holster was designed for a Bersa. Luckily a buddy has a Bersa, so I'm not out any $$$.

Fired 26 rounds. Gun is pretty accurate at the 10-15 yard range I was firing. Consistently hit the 6" steel plates. No malfunctions on both slow and rapid fire. Gun does "bite" a bit. Not sure if it is the way the grips are or just the shape of the pistol, but I found it pounding hard against the webbing of my hand as I fired it. Overall though, totally manageable.

Hardball and Hollow Point rounds are available in 9mm Makarov. I was firing surplus hardball.

Assuming it continues to function in the same manner as today's limited test, I'd give it my recommendation for an inexpensive PRK-approved  handgun.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the RR, F-A-S
Does the hammer come back that far over the tang to bite the web of your hand?
I have the BHP clone/copy and the hammer just kisses my hand.
A Mauser HSC in 9MMK I had was a real "biter".
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#2]
No, the hammer doesn't interfere at all.  I think it's just the ergonomics of the weapon that causes a bit of "bite".  A person with larger hands than mine may not notice the "bite" as much.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased the same pistol in Jan and took it to an outdoor range yesterday.  The weather was 30-35 degrees with 10-25 mph wind.  After I loaded and shot he first mag., both mags would not feed.  They were hanging up after the first shot.  An example would be the after I shot the first round, The spring would not push the follower up to feed the next round.  The spring is not weak at all.  I don't know if the cold weather affected the mag enough to not let it push up.

Any thoughts on how to correct?

TIA Rebel 13
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If the mags came greased, degrease them and give it a try, Rebel.
One example I can relate to was a LNIB Springfield .45 that came out of a cold car trunk...I could not rack the slide until the gun warmed up!
Hope that's it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of those in .380.
It is a biter for my small hands too, but I am still considering it for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting update on my FEG PA-63.  If you notice I talked about both mags having feeding problems.  After taking Anothergene's advice, I tried to make sure they were clean and oiled.

Started to load a mag and the same thing.  After the first round was in, I would put the second in and it would be loose so that all but the first round would fall right out if you turned the mag upside down.  All this whil in my basement, nice and warm.

After a little trial and error, I noticed the Silver Bear ammo was hollowpoint and it looked like the bullet flared more at the tip.  Sure enough, I tried the full metal jacket Wolf and TCF and......amazingly no problems whatsoever!!!

Anybody else have problems using hollowpoints on an FEG-PA63?  How about a Makarov?
(ps this is the std 9mm Makarov round)

Oh, well, I have a useless box of Silver bear and a usless box of CCI Blazer hollowpoint ammo and I know to buy FMJ next time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rebel 13
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
PA-63  mags are narrower than makarovs mags and most people have problems with the hollow point bullet feeding in the PA63. Check at www.makarov.com and gunboards.com makarov section for more info.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of these.1 is atached to a AK chest pouch.the other is one of my beaters.great little $100.00 guns JGSALES had them then....wicked little double action trigger pull though.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top