Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 9:44:17 AM EDT
I'm mulling over suppressing my Springfield 1911...I have several questions-

Will a full length guide rod work with a suppressor?

Will a regular 6'' 1911 barrel work for threading?

Who here has a 1911 suppressed and can you show me pics of your 1911 with the suppressor mounted and of the barrel with it off?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting to ask?

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a search, and came up with a generic thread about suppressors, but not one that is 1911 specific.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing that thread, too...

Basically, the barrel doesn't unlock correctly (that huge weight on the end), timing is totally shot, and you essentially wind up with a single-shot 1911. Remember the barrel, chamber side, cams down just after the bullet leaves the muzzle, which will certainly lead to baffle strikes...unless you mount it on the slide, which has it's own whole new set of problems.

YMMV, IANAL, IMO, yadda yadda yadda..
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Well a friend ( David Fisher of Fisher Enterprizes in AZ ) did up a Para Ord P12. ( circa 1996 or so )

It used an extended bbl made for a comp. IIRC it was threaded .550-40 or whatever those 1911 types use.  It then had a adaptor bushing which threaded on to the .550-40 and had courser threads to mount the suppressor.

This was a very lite weight can - but it was a wet can. (messy!) ( I'm sure he has made a few generations of updates since, including dry models )

Gun was perfectly reliable as long as you used 200gr+ ammo.

I hated it! - The suppressor does tilt up and down during cycling and compared to normal recoil feels very strange ( to me atleast )

The longer bbl just intensifies this tilt effect. Edit: The bullet has allready exited the can before the tilt has become a factor - the increased mass delays the recoil / bbl pivot.

I'll stick to my M10 if I want to shoot a suppressed 45. - I traded my Combat Government model for a knifle ( the poor sucker! )
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Scollins has a suppressed STI .40, maybe he will chime in...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot a 1911 with a wet can ( cant remember which) and it cycled fine.  A local C2 had it and said it always ran great.   He stuck it on the end of a Wilson Combat govt model.   Dont know what barrel or can was used, only that it worked.   It was a grease filled suppressor and very smokey.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
My SWR HEMS-2 .45 ACP suppressor works perfectly fine on my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 pistol with AAC extended & threaded barrel.  Never had a cycling issue, and no baffle strikes using 230-grain ball ammo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My SWR HEMS-2 .45 ACP suppressor works perfectly fine on my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 pistol with AAC extended & threaded barrel.  Never had a cycling issue, and no baffle strikes using 230-grain ball ammo.

THANK YOU!!..That is the kind of info I wanted, from a owner of a 1911 and a suppressor..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top