Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:33:35 PM EDT
I am purchasing a new CCW and as you know there are many options out there.  I've never owned a Springfield pistol, but I'm considering one now.  My other options are a little more expensive: Sig 229, HK P2000 (trigger quite heavy though), and HK USP compact.

I'm interested to know how the XD subcompact in .40 cal performs.  I need something that'll chew up any ammo I put into it without ever missing a beat.

I'd also like it to be somewhat accurate.  

Thanks for the input.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an XD sub compact 9 and in the 2,000 rounds of all kinds of ammo I put through it it has never jamed! An absolute great gun! Accuracy is also great for a small gun. It will group as good a a 4 inch barrel gun at 10 yards.

The 229 is also a superb gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with the XD.

Spend some time over here:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned a Springfield XD Subcompact in 9mm.  It was a great little gun, but a little fat for CCW IMHO.

If the HK P2000 is not a good option, you might add a Sig 239 to your list.  It is an amazing pistol and is slim for carry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not owned an XD40 SC. I have, however, owned an XD40 Service and an XD9 SC.  If you're not used to .40 in larger pistols, I would not recommend it in the Subcompact.

That being said, I have only had a handful of failures in XDs, between my XDs and my father's (XD9 Service).  Collectively, I've shot several thousand over the last couple of years, mostly out of my father's XD9.   The failures I can remember were all failures to eject the spent case, mostly out of the XD40 when I first got it.  I think that was an "operator error" or break-in issue though, because it disappeared rather quickly.

One peculiarity I've had that I'm not sure anyone else has is that with the XD's trigger, if I get too antsy and lift my finger off too quickly and don't follow through, I've managed to touch off an unintentional double-tap a couple of times.  Again, it's operator error, but I find it amazing that I can bumpfire XDs on occasion.

The XD40 I traded off for the XD9 SC, and I find it to be easily concealable, even with a cheapass Uncle's Mikes Neoprene IWB.  If you spend a little money and get a real IWB holster, it'll disappear nicely.

Accuracy out of the SC for the purposes for which it was intended is not a problem.  A decent shooter can easily manage COM shots at 15 yards.  I'm not the best handgun shot, but I can consistently keep about a 3-4" group with the XD9 SC at 7 yds.  25 yards is a long shot for that pistol, and beyond that you're just being silly with a 3" pistol, I think.

Biggest carry issue with an XD that I can see are twofold - since it's a single action pistol (it is, don't argue, anybody) some people may not be comfortable carrying it with a chambered round in front of a cocked striker.  There is no manual safety lever, however I feel the the FP block along with the trigger and grip safety keep it safe enough.  Secondly, sweat will cause corrosion to the XDs finish over time, so maintainance is an issue.

Also, if you get an XD SC, make sure you get the Pearce magazine floorplates for your SC magazines.  They should just be required equipment, because unless you have little girl hands your finger will fall off of the end of the grip.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I owned a Springfield XD Subcompact in 9mm.  It was a great little gun, but a little fat for CCW IMHO.

If the HK P2000 is not a good option, you might add a Sig 239 to your list.  It is an amazing pistol and is slim for carry.

+1, try the 239.  I may eventually retire the XD9SC in favor of a 239, or at least add a 239 into the rotation.  If you can shoot well with the single-stack 239 grip and capacity isn't a problem, it's a nice little pistol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone for the replies.  El Camino, I appreciate all the info.  They sound like great little guns.  I've got a gunshow coming up this weekend here in Houston, so I'll feel a couple of the models.

I've been strictly a 1911 shooter in the past, so polymer framed, double-action type autoloaders are somewhat new to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the replies.  El Camino, I appreciate all the info.  They sound like great little guns.  I've got a gunshow coming up this weekend here in Houston, so I'll feel a couple of the models.

I've been strictly a 1911 shooter in the past, so polymer framed, double-action type autoloaders are somewhat new to me.

I'll be honest, I have no more trouble concealing my XD9 SC than I do my 1911.

The size isn't as important as the thickness.

I bought my XD9 SC to be a 'more concealable' CCW pistol... But I don't see it as any more concealable, just higher capacity.  The increased thickness of a double stack over a single stack negates the advantage.

Now I'm a pretty big guy, I can see how someone shorter might have more problems with the length than I do... But it's definately something to consider.  A 1911, esp. with thin grips, is pretty concealable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top