Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2005 3:20:50 AM EDT
I have had two Taurus handguns in the past. One was a PT92 9mm and the other was a 627 .357
The PT92 locked up (slide locked in place) on the 3rd shot I put through it. After firing around 75 rounds through the 627, when I opened the cylinder it fell off the gun to the floor (in front of several people at the range). The screw that held the cylinder on the gun had apparently worked itself loose during shooting. Both of these guns were BRAND NEW. I swore after my second bad experience I would never own another Taurus, but now I am looking at a PT111 Millineum Pro and a Kel-tec as a small inexpensive carry gun. Has the quality of Taurus improved over the last 5 years? Is the Millineum a decent gun? I know my experiences in the past have to be atleast part bad luck, or Taurus would be out of business by now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 145, 945, and a 92 plus I bought my dad a 111 for his birthday. All of these have been purchased in the last 3 years and after several thousand rounds combined I have never had a single hiccup using a wide variety of ammo and even bargain bin mags in the 92. No FTE, FTF, stovepipes, not a single one. IMO they are one of the best firearms for the money. By the way the PT111 I got for my dad ran me $279.99 NIB at the gunshow with hard case and two 12 round mags. Excellent firearm at that price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks LANCEMAN. I'm glad to hear your experience. Maybe I  just got two bad guns, it's possible. The PT111 Millineum Pro is the perfect size for what I'm looking for. I just wish I had a little more confidence in Taurus.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Tracker in .22WMR, and it was well-made, had a pretty good single-action tigger pull (but a rather heavy double-action pull), and pretty accurate. I've also owned a couple of 66's, and all of them were good guns. The trigger on a Taurus revolver will never be as good as a S&W, though. All of my experience with Taurus has been with revolvers, but I've never gotten what I would consider a "lemon" from them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a PT99 that I have around 1000 rounds through.  I had one FTF in the first 50 rounds because I was using reloads.  I quit using them and have never had a problem.  The pistol shoots very well.

My wife just bought a PT 111.  She bought it for its size.  So it will fit in her purse.  But she enjoys shooting the PT99 a lot more.  The 111 does have a heavy trigger but we have never had a FTF in the 400 rounds or so that we have put through it.  I think I may even end up carrying it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned 3 taurus pistols. My pt 92 is still a great gun and has thousands of rounds through it without problems. I had a pt58 .380 and should have never sold it. I bought an ultralight .17 hmr revolver on a whim and  that was a mistake. It's not that the gun itself was that bad just that the 17 is horrible in a pistol. I'd definatly buy a taurus again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of getting this one in the near future link

Here is a review of it link

I think it would be a decent choice... Better than the Kel-tec IMO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 5 Taurus guns, and all of them are solid performers and have never failed me or disappointed.

I have the Tracker in .45acp, a 945, a PT-111, PT-111 Pro and a PT-92.

I love them all, would buy all again in a second. I think Taurus is VERY much an improved company from that of 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a PT 92 and never gave me any problems.  I just changed the hammer spring to a Wolff reduced power 19 lb, and that helped smoothen the trigger pull.  It was so good that my wife asked for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I purchased a Tracker in .22LR in AUG04  for my first gun because I SUCK at handgun shooting. After about 50 rounds it the cylinder was locked up solid. This started to happen gradually, hammer was stiff to draw. The problem dissapeared after cleaning but it is still there when firing live rounds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a PT 140. Had a KB during range time, but they fixed it with out charge. No reason given for KB, but it works fine now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 627 Tracker (.357/4" barrel/stainless) and so far I've had no trouble.  The only thing I don't like about it is the front sight.  The blade is painted a glossy orange color and when the sun is at the right angle, the reflection is nearly blinding.  It's almost impossible to aim when that front sight is lit up like the sun itself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a 627 Tracker (.357/4" barrel/stainless) and so far I've had no trouble.  The only thing I don't like about it is the front sight.  The blade is painted a glossy orange color and when the sun is at the right angle, the reflection is nearly blinding.  It's almost impossible to aim when that front sight is lit up like the sun itself.

Why don't you change the color if you don't like it?  I've used fingernail polish for such things, it works well and it is cheap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a relatively new PT92AF. Using Taurus 17-round mags this gun is dead-nuts accurate and functions like a Swiss watch.

I too have heard unkind words about Taurus firearms in the past, but a buddy of mine was selling his  so cheap I couldn't pass it up! I'm glad he was desperate for money, because this was probably  the best $200 bucks I've ever spent!

Last night I spent about two hours over at "The Firing Line" reading dozens of reviews from other PT92 owners, and about 98% of them were favorable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top