Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2010 8:29:59 PM EDT
Always wanted a Python.. I check GunBroker occasionally just to see what's out there. I see the prices have gone from "high" to "estupido"

~$3k Really?
Anywho, I see several "King Cobras." Don't know too much about them, but they are actually decently priced, even on GunBroker. Any Colt experts care to share their thoughts on these?
The only obvious difference that I can see is that they don't have the vented rib.
I do own one Colt, by the way. Bought this new @15 years ago:

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The inner workings are totally different on the Python too produce the trigger pull that its legendary for. While the King Cobra is a nice gun their is a reason it doesnt cost as much as its sibiling.  Pythons can be had for half of the $3000 price you named, in fact I always see excellent condition shooter grade Pythons for around $1100 to $1200
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Python and King Cobra are totally different guns with nothing in common other than the Colt name.

The Python is a hand built, semi-custom gun that was intended to be the finest DA revolver ever made.  It's legendary for it's accuracy and smooth trigger.  Like an Italian sports car, it has to be treated properly and needs occasional tune ups to keep it in proper working shape.
If it was a car, it'd be a Rolls Royce.

The King Cobra was a mass-produced revolver that required little hand fitting.  It was intended to be about a step above the other brands, but still a popular priced gun.  It's usually noted for above average accuracy, and is probably the strongest medium framed DA revolver ever made.  It's only "weakness" is that you need to use snap caps for dry firing to prevent any chance of a broken firing pin.  A broken pin is a factory level replacement ONLY.
It was designed for unlimited use with full power .357 ammo, and seldom gives trouble.
If it was a car, it'd be a Hummer.

If you shop around, you can usually find a Python shooter for prices starting around $800.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Python is a hand built, semi-custom gun that was intended to be the finest DA revolver ever made.  It's legendary for it's accuracy and smooth trigger.  Like an Italian sports car, it has to be treated properly and needs occasional tune ups to keep it in proper working shape.
If it was a car, it'd be a Rolls Royce.

The King Cobra was a mass-produced revolver that required little hand fitting.  It was intended to be about a step above the other brands, but still a popular priced gun.  It's usually noted for above average accuracy, and is probably the strongest medium framed DA revolver ever made.  It's only "weakness" is that you need to use snap caps for dry firing to prevent any chance of a broken firing pin.  A broken pin is a factory level replacement ONLY.
It was designed for unlimited use with full power .357 ammo, and seldom gives trouble.
If it was a car, it'd be a Hummer.

Yup. Thats pretty much spot on.  I own both. S.S. 6inch Cobra and Blued 8inch Python. Both are really nice guns. But you can really feel the "Rolls Royce" in the Python.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah I think I get it. Thanks fellas!

That $3k figure I cited was for SS Pythons.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Why anyone would want a stainless steel Python is beyond me....  I bought mine for one reason, and one reason only: the Royal Blue finish!

(Python is NIB, unfired)
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to shop else where.
Even stainless Pythons can be had for prices starting around $1000.

The problem today is a lot of sellers at gun shows and on the internet auctions are throwing out "bait guns" to see if some sucker will bite.
The $3000 Pythons are the super rare models like the 3" barrel that collectors are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why anyone would want a stainless steel Python is beyond me....  I bought mine for one reason, and one reason only: the Royal Blue finish!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/Revolvers-9.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/1911%20Pics/p_00230.jpg

(Python is NIB, unfired)

Gorgeous!  I agree.  I doubt I'd have the willpower to keep it unfired though!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Python is NIB, unfired)

Gorgeous!  I agree.  I doubt I'd have the willpower to keep it unfired though!

Not being a revolver shooter, it really isn't difficult.  I really just admire its precision, finish, and looks.  It is the ONLY firearm I have that isn't a combat arm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

(Python is NIB, unfired)

WOW...that is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm with you! NOTHING is a nice to look at as a Royal Blue Python. I have a couple I just polish up and stare at .... BUT I did invest in a stainless Python as my shooter so I don't get tempted to shoot or mess up my blued Pythons. That stainless guns is by far one of my favorite shooters. As far as comparing a Python to a King Cobra there is NO comparison. The Python action and finish are by FAR superior to the King Cobra. They both will chamber and shoot .357 rounds and that's about the only similarities other than the Pony on the frame. My King Cobra is a nice gun but it's trigger is much heavier in pull and nowhere near as smooth. I actually do shoot much better with the Python too. Here are a couple pics of mine.

3" Combat Python

6" 1956 vintage 3-digit s/n Python

6" stainless shooter Python

6" blued King Cobra
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top