Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 2:14:32 PM EDT
I took my ORM Commander to the range today for some pratice.  In the middle of shooting I notice something hit me in the face then quickly realize that half of my rear site was missing.  It was a clean break, the left side of the site is gone.  Have any of you experienced this?  Do you think Colt will send me a replacement part?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have seen sights fly off of guns although it's usually the front sight blade that did so.

Rather than wait 6 months for Colt, I'd go ahead & replace the sight myself, maybe get one I liked better?

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It's odd that the sight itself broke.  Sounds like a manufacturing defect or it got hit and fractured prior to taking it to the range.  The slide sees high acceleration but the blade is very light so the forces would be quite low.  I'm rather puzzled.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That is very wierd, this is not an adjustable sight is it? If not, I'd call Colt and ask them what's up with that. I have NEVER had a rear sight [non adjustable] come apart like that. I would bet they would send you another one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
No it is a fixed site.  I plan on calling Colt on Monday when they open.  FOr now I will just have to carry a gun with half of a rear site.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a guess, but perhaps a spent casing hit it during recoil.  Those sights are in there pretty tight, not to mention that it's a dovetail.  The shape should have kept it from just flying out from recoil, even if it was cracked in half.  Anyway, if you want to attempt to do it yourself, I would suggest you check with a local smith for a takeoff sight.  All you need is a vise, hammer, and brass punch, maybe some tape to pad the sight, and a little patience.  Heck, I have plenty of take offs that would work for you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advise.  I plan to contact Colt to see if they will send me a replacement.  I already have a smith that will do the work for me for free, I just need the part.  If I can't get Colt to send me the part I will purchase one from you Hobs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Purchase?  Forget that.  It's free.  Just let me know if you need two dot or black.  Oh, and send me your address if Colt doesn't send it to you.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Purchase?  Forget that.  It's free.  Just let me know if you need two dot or black.  Oh, and send me your address if Colt doesn't send it to you.  

Will do thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I contacted Colt today.  I got to say that I was not suprised by their response.  I was asked for the serial number of the weapon.  The rep promptly told me that the gun was made in ' 01.  When I explained what happened she said that they didn't have any in spare parts and that they didn't know when they would be available.  She promptly offered contact info for Colt certified 'smiths to contact to buy a new site.  

Hobbs I guess I will have to take you up on that offer for a rear site.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top