Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
How many LEO's out there are pro carry? And what are your thoughts?
I'm sure that not many LEO's have a problem with it but just curious.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
87 at most
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have strongly encouraged almost everyone that I have come in contact with to purchase, receive training on and carry a handgun with them at all times.  I have also taken a few from idiots who got a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier because they had one and felt compelled do show everyone how tough they were with their "gat".  

I mentally approach everyone as if they were armed and willingly to do me harm as a means to keep myself safe.  The more people carry concealed, the more the bad guys will be forced to do the same and we'll have fewer good folks turned into victims.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
87 at most

Is that a percentage???

I would say the anti-gun, liberal educated, gun fearers are the minority. Ones that actually know the carry laws are probably even smaller than that.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
87 at most

Is that a percentage???

I would say the anti-gun, liberal educated, gun fearers are the minority. Ones that actually know the carry laws are probably even smaller than that.

Chuck knows!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked at a gun store for several years prior to becoming a LEO. Since then I've trained hundreds of civilians to shoot. I'm anti-bad guy as can be and I always suggest that the good guys be armed and trained.

Call 911 and CYA. The good guys are coming to help but you gotta protect your own butt till we can get there...

I've never really thought of it as Cops, Civilians, and bad guys.... Only two teams.. Good and Bad.!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I encourage and train as many good people to carry as possible.

As others have said, you need to protect yourself, as I can't always be there. And maybe someday I'll need you to be there for me as well.

Good Cops and Good People will put fear into the Bad Guys.

It's about time that Bad Guys started wondering who the Good Guys are, Not the other way around.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
When I stop someone and they are carrying a weapon illegaly, I don't make much of a fuss about it unless they are drunk, or are a known criminal.

If I don't know the person I will check them NCIC and run the weapons NCIC and depending on how they look, act, and conduct themselves I may let them go, or issue them a citation and confiscate the weapon.

(So far only weapons I have confiscated involved drugs, alcohol, and felons.)

If they are good people with a gun, they will help me on down the road. One way or another.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I stop someone and they are carrying a weapon illegaly, I don't make much of a fuss about it unless they are drunk, or are a known criminal.

If I don't know the person I will check them NCIC and run the weapons NCIC and depending on how they look, act, and conduct themselves I may let them go, or issue them a citation and confiscate the weapon.

If they are good people with a gun, they will help me on down the road. One way or another.

I wish all cops had that attitude, ChickenKiller.  Do you recommend to the illegal packers that they go get their OK CHL?

Thankfully I live in a state where I can carry above-board.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish all cops had that attitude, ChickenKiller.  Do you recommend to the illegal packers that they go get their OK CHL?

Thankfully I live in a state where I can carry above-board.

Yes, I tell them they need to go get their Concealed carry permit and let them know not every officer has the same view as I do.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
87 at most

I'd agree with that!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a bit of a rarity in LE.  I would prefer a nationwide CCW program for civies.  The more armed good guys there are, the less chance some creatin can victimize a good guy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I have worked in LE for about 5 years.....I honeslty wish they would do away with all the requirements, license BS and renewals......hows about:

Buy gun
Carry gun

end of story
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think you pulled me over once.

Yeah - LEOs like these really do exist and I am living proof.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I got my CCW when I turned 19, my badge when I turned 23. I have never forgotten which came first or the sense of pride and responsibility I felt when I began carrying. I fear no lawfully armed citizen and they have no reason to fear me. I have always figured that one day an armed private citizen could save my life if I am in a bad spot. I routinely encourage crime victims to arm themselves, always with the accompanying advice to seek out competent training and to commit to regular practice. Most of the crap you hear in the news about cops being against concealed carry is bullshit propogated by politically indebted police union bosses and police chief's organizations that have little connection with the true rank and file. Most of my co-workers would like nothing better than to respond to a report of a mugger/burglar/robber/rapist etc. shot dead by a private citizen. I have been waiting my whole career for that call. I swear I will buy the guy dinner and a few beers if it ever comes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been a LEO for 7 years and I'm from IL. one of the worst states on guns there is. Heck in the big city of Chicago the good guys cant even have guns at there home I dont understand there reasoning by not arming the good guys so they can have a chance. Our lovely gov. wants to ban all assault weapons for the state, I just dont understand. The gun laws only hurt the good guy. Your safe if you get pulled over by me and you have a loaded gun on your persons and everything is good. Some of these "new" cops out there that think the law is the law and that's it.   Anymore it seems like some LEO's don't care about there brother whether your blue, brown, or whatever color your uniform is. Feel sorry for those who come across one of these people that call themselves a cop because they have a badge and a gun. OK I'm done for now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top