Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2013 5:17:12 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a .380 of some sort. Leaning toward the S&W Bodyguard .380. ETA: Bought a Kahr P380 instead.

I've started checking out what ammo will cost me. I'm amazed to see that low end .380 plinking ammo averages around $0.30-$0.40 per round, while at the same time I picked up 1000rnds of 115gr Blazer 9mm at $0.25/rnd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the .380 uses less brass, less lead, and less powder than it's bigger brother, the 9mm, yet it's more expensive. Is this just a supply/demand thing? Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture...
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Exactly a case of supply and demand. It's not a 'common' caliber. So it is not cranked out in the same volume as 9mm. Since it is not produced in the greatest of numbers, demand is artificially inflated even with a lower number of buyers and people will still pay for it so it stays at that price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Volume pricing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
.380 has been higher for years. 1 reason I got rid of mine 2 years ago. It's also hard to find at some points in the year. I have read on other forums .380 is only produced at 2 points during the year from places like Federal & Winchester making availability limited. How true I don't know but yeah....380 costs more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.380 has been higher for years. 1 reason I got rid of mine 2 years ago. It's also hard to find at some points in the year. I have read on other forums .380 is only produced at 2 points during the year from places like Federal & Winchester making availability limited. How true I don't know but yeah....380 costs more.
View Quote

Batch produced
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any insight on what times of year the prices dip?
I don't mind paying $0.40/round for a few break in rounds. I'd like to think I could be patient enough to hold out until the prices drop when "these bi-annual batches" hit the market.

Good info from all replies. Thanks guys.

ETA: However, being a NYer, time is against me. As of Jan 2014, no more online ammo sales.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not see any reason for the price to go down. As the popularity of .380 decreases the price will increase because the mfg have to spend time not producing ammo that sells well while they produce a batch of ammo that sits waiting on buyers. Like the .25 it will be much, much cheaper to load your own rather than buy it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd caution you about your choice of firearm.

I loved my BodyGuard for the first few weeks I owned it.  Then, the pathetic screw that holds the laser in back out while at the range and locked up the slide.  Sent it to S&W for repair, and when it came back, I never could get a good feeling about it, so I traded it towards a Shield.

The hex head on that screw is so small that you can't really torque the screw down much without stripping it.  I wish they had gone with a more robust mounting method.  I'd probably still own the BodyGuard if they designed it proper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Price on 380 never drops.  Buy it when you can at whatever the going rate is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I loved my BodyGuard for the first few weeks I owned it.  Then, the pathetic screw that holds the laser in back out while at the range and locked up the slide.  Sent it to S&W for repair, and when it came back, I never could get a good feeling about it, so I traded it towards a Shield.

The hex head on that screw is so small that you can't really torque the screw down much without stripping it.  I wish they had gone with a more robust mounting method.  I'd probably still own the BodyGuard if they designed it proper.
View Quote

Well I went to the LGS, handled the Bodyguard and an LCP. These were the two I researched most. I definitely liked the Bodyguard more.

Just for shits and giggles I asked to handle the Kahr P380.......... and I bought it. It just seemed leagues above the other two. I hadn't researched it much, so it was kind of an impulsive buy. From what I've been reading in the archives, people have feeding issues during and past the 200rnd break-in period. I just hope mine is issue free. I loved how it felt! The trigger was outstanding and the sights were great. Should have it in about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Price on 380 never drops.  Buy it when you can at whatever the going rate is.
View Quote

Snagged 1000rnds of Speer Lawman 95gr for $360 from SGAmmo. Seemed reasonable...

Been digging through the archives reading about the Kahr P380. Some posts from 2010 are complaining about $25+/box plinking ammo. Prices seem better now than 3 years ago?
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well I went to the LGS, handled the Bodyguard and an LCP. These were the two I researched most. I definitely liked the Bodyguard more.

Just for shits and giggles I asked to handle the Kahr P380.......... and I bought it. It just seemed leagues above the other two. I hadn't researched it much, so it was kind of an impulsive buy. From what I've been reading in the archives, people have feeding issues during and past the 200rnd break-in period. I just hope mine is issue free. I loved how it felt! The trigger was outstanding and the sights were great. Should have it in about 2 weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine just bought one. There were quite a few FTF's with the first couple of mags. With after 100 rounds, it cleared up significantly. I would put at the very least 300 down the pipe to be sure.

I recommend Buffalo Bore if you haven't sourced some already.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen this brand mentioned multiple times in my research. I'll have to give it a try. Sounds like they're super hot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The price difference is due to what is called "economy of scale".  

Even though the .380 uses less brass and lead, the 9mm is made in much larger quantities.   Thus the cost of the buildings, power, equipment etc can be amortized over a much larger number of cartridges.

Put another way, if you make 100 million of something instead of 1 million, it does not cost you 100 times as much.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've seen this brand mentioned multiple times in my research. I'll have to give it a try. Sounds like they're super hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have excellent velocity and expansion. Competitive with 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 1:57:55 AM EDT
[#15]
That's exactly why I have multiple 9mm guns and no 380's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine just bought one. There were quite a few FTF's with the first couple of mags. With after 100 rounds, it cleared up significantly. I would put at the very least 300 down the pipe to be sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd recommend racking the slide several hundred times before ever going to the range.  You can do it really fast if you hold it right.  Grab the slide so your 4 fingers and palm are holding it, and then with your other hand, force the frame forward.  I can do 100 rack slides in like 2 minutes if I don't get too tired.  3 minutes if I take a break halfway through.  Make sure you take the magazine out so it doesn't lock back each time.  

Then take it to the range and see what happens.  My M&P Shield was a bit finickey at first, so I did this, and there's been no issues for the past 600 rounds since.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Do a cost/price analysis of .410 versus 12ga birdshot. It will blow your mind!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top