Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:00:01 PM EDT
Hey I know nothing of painting guns or the such.  The city I work in has a business that does powder coating.  I work the night shift and they work late cause of the hot oven they have to work around so I've stopped and talked to them before.  Anyways that got me to thinking, could you powder coat a slide?  I guess you'd have to cover up the bottom portion of it so as to not get any powder down there cause I would assume it'd add size to stuff and you don't want that.  But the outer portion of the slide maybe?  I"ve seen things they have done and when it's done it just looks like paint really to me.  You can get it nice and shiny or flat and ANY color.  Neat stuff.......anyways just an idea.  What do you all think?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you could, but why?  The black phosphate type finish on Glock slides is very durable as is.

Is your slide in need of refinishing?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No I was just wondering.  Thought maybe someday it'd be cool to have a different color slide or something.  Just thinking is all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem in general with powder coating are firearms is the thickness. Powdercoating is generally pretty thick. If I had to refinish a Glock (and was going to stick with black), I would have it IonBonded. If I wanted a color other then black I would probably go with Duracoat
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
How hard is duracoat to do though?

ETA:  also how expensive is Duracoat?  I know if I actually decided to do something powder coat wise (assuming it's not bad for the glock) that I could get it done cheap but done right by those guys.  This is all just conversation right now I'm not planning on doing it as of now.  I just thought I'd ask about it and see what some of your opinions were.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The powder coating I have been around is nice, but you would no longer be able to read anything on the slide.  Ionbond, duracoat or one of the spray and bake finishes.  I prefer the Brownells moly/teflon bake on finish, it is available in about 10 or 12 colors.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
True, I didn't think of that, powdercoat filling in the engraving on the side of the slide.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You can probably find a local duracoat trained gunsmith to do a pistol for around $100. Maybe more if you want tacticool tiger striping or digital patterns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Duracoat probably would be a better option.  It's not that expensive, but they do recommend an airbrush approach.

Heck, get it powdercoated.  If you don't like it, you can always sandblast it off and then Duracoat it.

I for one would be kind of curious to see what a Glock slide would look like powdercoated.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I may do it just to see how it turns out.  I was out there talking with those guys today and found a color of powder actually called "desert tan" under a mil spec section of colors.  I think it may look good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
How do people change the colors on the frame?  Is that a different process for the material on the frame?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do people change the colors on the frame?  Is that a different process for the material on the frame?

Yes.  Duracoat is usually the way to go with the frame also.  Very tough finish, lasts.  Some have used Krylon or similar paint, but it usually wears off quickly on raised areas.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Duracoat is usually the way to go with the frame also.  Very tough finish, lasts.  Some have used Krylon or similar paint, but it usually wears off quickly on raised areas.

So have you done any duracoating on any of your guns before?  Just curious how hard it is to do or if it's better to find someone to professionally do it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm getting ready to do a rifle with duracoat.  Its fairly simple.  Just get a cheap airbrush or if you're just doing a pistol, buy the kit from Lauer.  Cost you about $50 for the paint and all, and you can have the pleasure of doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to do a rifle with duracoat.  Its fairly simple.  Just get a cheap airbrush or if you're just doing a pistol, buy the kit from Lauer.  Cost you about $50 for the paint and all, and you can have the pleasure of doing it yourself.

Ok I was looking at the Lauer website.  What is the propellant for?  I thought that was what the aircompressor was for...to propel the paint lol.  I can see how that could be fun to pick your color/colors and do it all yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top