Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2004 6:53:19 PM EDT
I think I'd like to get a gun that can fit in a pocket holster for times when I'm not wearing a belt for my IWB holster.  Something I could put in my pocket quickly if I have to run a quick errand, etc.  Anyone here have a pocket pistol just for that purpose?  How big a gun has anyone carried comfortably/safely in this manner?  Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Link Posted: 5/19/2004 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Believe it or not a lot of it has to do with how big your pockets are!  I’m a BFG (Big Fat Guy) and the pockets on my jeans are BFG pockets.  I can comfortably carry a 3” 1911 (Colt Defender) in a Fist pocket holster… barely.  I know a couple of skinny guys that carry small single stack 40s, I think one's a Kahr (sp?) and you’d never know they were armed.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/20/2004 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Kahr Pm9 and Pm 40..  single stack thin guns with a decent size caliber. A tad pricey but, how much is your life worth?
Link Posted: 5/20/2004 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kahr Pm9 and Pm 40..  single stack thin guns with a decent size caliber. A tad pricey but, how much is your life worth?

I've looked at the Kahrs a couple times.  They seem well made and worth the money.  My regular carry gun is a Glock 23, so I looked at a Glock 27 to match, but I think it might be too bulky for the pocket, although there are pocket holsters for it.  The Kahr would probably be a better choice.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2004 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a G27 in an IWB holster. I can carry it all day and just about forget it is there. However IMO it is definitely too big and heavy as a pocket gun.

Check out the Kel Tec pistols with a pocket holster rig if the pocket is where you want to let it ride.
Link Posted: 5/21/2004 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2004 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
When it comes to a pocket  gun that's not a mouse  Kahr wins hands down. You get what you pay for. Justin Moon ( kahr's creator)  made medical grade surgical equipment prior to producing firearms. He still uses the same machinery to produce Kahrs. Laser guided precision machining. High end gun designed for CCW with high end quality.
Link Posted: 5/21/2004 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My regular carry gun already is a Kahr (MK9) but my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun is a Kel-Tec P32. I have no illusions about magical stopping power but that's why I practice like a bastard with the mousegun.

My company seems to be getting more corporate by the day (and I haven't been there very many days) and getting made would be instant unemployment. Between my build and my work clothes, I have to rely on off-body carry for the full-sized guns during the work week. The P32 fits easily in a back pocket or clipped inside a homemade, pseudo-"belly band" just below my waistline when toting the laptop case would be too conspicuous.
Link Posted: 5/22/2004 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear size 40 in my 5.11 pants, and most shorts.....

I have no problem with a Glock 26 in a Alessi pocket holster.
Link Posted: 5/23/2004 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not very big at 5'10" and 150 lbs...... but I can carry my Kahr PM9 in my Dockers with a good pocket holster and no-one's "made" me yet as far as I know. It's a little too much for my jeans pocket but looser dress pants aren't a problem. It fits jacket pockets perfect. It's much easier to conceal in a IWB type holster and an untucked shirt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2004 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Scandium S&W .357 in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster.  My all the time gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2004 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a kel-tec p-3at with a belt clip.  I can slip it in the waistband of my pants, and it doesn't print at all, even in light clothing.  It's only .380, but it's better than nothing.  It's so unobtrusive that I've come close to taking it to places I shouldn't because I forgot I was wearing it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2004 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/25/2004 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#13]
The S&W J-frame in one of the airweight designs has pretty much defined the pocket pistol for years, and is still a top choice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2004 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the ideas, everyone.  I've got some new choices to consider now, especially the revolvers.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2004 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I second the Kel-Tec P3AT. I carry in a pocket holster when it is difficult to carry a larger gun.

The gun is surprisingly accurate for its size.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Seecamp in a pocket holster.  Yeah, its only a .32, but better that than nothing.  My 5'10", 180 pound frame doesn't hide anything too much bigger without a wardrobe change.
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm 5'6" 125ish. I carry a little Beretta .22 in my pocket, no holster usually.

There isn't room for much else, heh.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm 5'6" 125ish. I carry a little Beretta .22 in my pocket, no holster usually.

There isn't room for much else, heh.

I have the Beretta 3032 Tomcat. Great little pocket gun. Never b e caught unarmed.

Link Posted: 7/2/2004 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
the ultimate carry gun, but I hear you have to be rich to buy one.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/product.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]
3rd on Kel-Tec P3AT.  I am tall and thin it's tough to find something that doesn't print on me.  This thing slides in a pocket and just about disappears.

But I put a few hundred rounds through it before I was confident enough to use it for self-defense.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an AMT Backup .380 thats great for inside the pocket carry. its bad about cutting the webbing of you hand between the thumb and fore finger if yuo try to grip it high. but its small & accurate at 25 yards. .380 is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"Pocket gun" means different things to different people.  I actually know someone who carried a 5" 1911 in their 5.11 front pocket (modified) off duty.  Did it well.  

Back to my reality- PM9 tops my list of "pocket guns".  The PM40 has had some reliability issues, but the PM9 is a solid performer for CCW.  

Yup...I carry a PM9 in a Galco front pocket holster
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#24]
+4 on the Kel-Tec P3-AT.  I just picked one up this past weekend, it functions perfectly and is more accurate than I ever expected from such a small pistol.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]
i'm carrying a g27 in my left side jeans pocket as we speak.  now i'm reaching down and pushing the magazine back in because my office chair keeps hitting the mag release.

does it really take that long to snap an iwb holster on?  ever try to draw from your pocket in your car?
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
+2 on the J-Frame snubby.

Small autos tend to have reliability issues and pocket lint can compound the problem.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
does it really take that long to snap an iwb holster on?  ever try to draw from your pocket in your car?

When you have to lean over a lot and you can't wear much cover and concealment is highly coveted, even an iwb prints way too much.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
+5 on the Kel-Tec P3-AT, and with corbon 95g +P ammo, seems like it would be effective.
I shot a box of Wins 100 rounds no problems, recoil was light for a pocket rocket, but then I cycled the corbon, that shit bites but I liked it
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i'm carrying a g27 in my left side jeans pocket as we speak.  now i'm reaching down and pushing the magazine back in because my office chair keeps hitting the mag release.

When I'm just going to take out the trash or running out to pick up dinner/movie, etc., it is.  If I'm going to be out for a while, I wear the IWB.  I can get my Glock 23 out of my pocket fairly easily in the car, when I'm carrying it out in the morning so I can leave it in the glove box while I'm at work.   I usually wear khakis, and they tend to have larger pockets.  I considered the Glock 27 for pocket carry, but I think it is just going to be too bulky for my purposes.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I'm just going to take out the trash or running out to pick up dinner/movie, etc., it is.  If I'm going to be out for a while, I wear the IWB.  I can get my Glock 23 out of my pocket fairly easily in the car, when I'm carrying it out in the morning so I can leave it in the glove box while I'm at work.   I usually wear khakis, and they tend to have larger pockets.  I considered the Glock 27 for pocket carry, but I think it is just going to be too bulky for my purposes.  

Galco makes a pocket holster for a 27...it's bulky but it doesnt print.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a Kahr PM9 and it's awesome!  Fits my jeans and dockers without any problems.  Plus, it hits decently hard and I can hit what I'm aiming at.  Gonna get a P40 as well for something a little bigger (when the P228 is just too thick).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Kahr is the best in my opinion for undetectable pocket carry.  Well made somewhat costly, though not extreme  (how much is your life worth?).

I'm not extremely big, though not a lightweight, and I like the Colt Defender or a Kimber compact.  I carry a Defender in my pocket and it's not really much more detectable than a Kahr (I have a PM 40 and a P40).  So, I'll probably stick with that.  I back it up if it's absolutely necessary to go through a bad area with a Bond Derringer in .45 acp.  

I think what you feel comfortable handling and can hit with is more important than overall caliber.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
colt pocket nine.

6+1 of winchester silvertips.  its usually in an uncle mikes IWB holster that ive removed the clip from.  im ordering a nice leather one that is a bit more square to get rid of the slight trace of 'gun' shape...

not readily available anymore but ive seen them around.  alloy frame, stainless slide, dao...

david
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
+5 on the Kel-Tec P3-AT, and with corbon 95g +P ammo, seems like it would be effective.
I shot a box of Wins 100 rounds no problems, recoil was light for a pocket rocket, but then I cycled the corbon, that shit bites but I liked it

+6
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#35]
+3 on the S&W J-Frame. I carry a 340PD (Scandium Alloy Frame) all the time now in a Desantis Nemeses pocket holster and know one knows the difference. Plus, only 12oz, so need to wear an unstylish "gun" belt except when I'm carrying something a little bigger (Glock 19 with 15 round mag).

-HEDHNTR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top