Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2007 7:25:52 AM EDT
I have a Ported XD 9mm and have only been to the range twice with 200 rounds total through it. I've cleaned it thouroughly after each use since the port results in a lot of debris and smoke covering the front site (standard white dot). It's very difficult to see the front sight after ~ 60 rounds and it is hard to get the site clean (Qtips and solvent still not doing the full job). I've used "Nitro Solvent" (bought from Walmart) to clean it.

I was wondering if anyone thinks it is normal for the finish to look a grayish color after cleaning it, but then looks good after oiling it? Is that a PROBLEM or NORMAL?  Is the nitro solvent too powerful? It doesnt seem to need painting at all, I'm just worried about it at this point and for the long term. I want to clean it thouroughly, but not kill the finish in the process. Also the front sight is not white anymore, so I don't know what to do, even if I bought new sights.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a parkerized finish is a matte grey after you use a solvent since it removes all the oil that was in the pores of the finish, which makes it look darker.  Just lightly re-oil the finish and it will be fine.  I would use CLP or Aerosol Rem-Oil to clean as well, and then follow with a good gun oil or grease on the slide rails and other areas to re-lube.

The white painted dots on the springfield XD sights are easy to remove with some solvents, I suspect the solvent has removed some of your paint.  Only way to eliminate this is to have night sights installed, but still yet, you don't want to bathe them in solvent unless necessary.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks- I appreciate the information.  I guess I shouldn't use the solvent unless it is really necessary.  I've not heard of a "parkerized finish", but that sounds right.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top