Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2003 7:27:58 PM EDT
Turning 21 in December, but I know it can take time from submission date of paperwork till you actually get the license.  Two questions...

1) I will be filing for my pistol permit (in nj, where I my permenant address is) the day I turn 21... or sooner, going to ask them in person and find out, so the question is do I need my pistol permit before I go for CCW in PA?  Or do they assume/only need to be 21 with no crimes in the past

2) Any hypothesis on if I can submit paperwork and it goes through and is 'waiting for me' or they hold it until I am of age?  I will contact the appropriate authorities in October (end), but just curious now... reading all the threads in handguns to find out, and will handle some firearms now.

I'll let everyone know what happens.  =)
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Check here to find out what you need.

Scroll down to where they speak of Chester County.  This is a very pro gun everything county that will gladly help you through this process.  

The only person I know who had their permit approved the day they turned 21 was one of the Sheriff's sons in Butler county.  I waited until I was 21, and since I live in Allegheny County (where Pittsburgh is) I figured I'd have a long wait.  About a week and a half later I got a letter in the mail saying come on down and I had my CCW permit.  At the time it only cost $17.00, but its still only $19.00, a bargain for legal carry!

BTW if you are trying to go through Philthadelphia the city PD issues the permit, not the sheriff.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Do I have to use Philadelphia PD, or can I mail/call Chester County?  I think Philly PD would be slower (busier?) and not care as much.  Maybe better to take the load off them and go with a known pro gun Chester county.  Thanks for the input wgjhsafT!

Ben
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I apologize!!!  The county I was thinking of is Centre County.  Click on the link in my previous post and there is information regarding Centre County Sheriff's dept.  

He can do everything by mail which is probably the best way for you to go.  Just make sure you have everything listed at the top of the page such as a valid driver's license, two wallet sized photos, at least two references, etc.  Just check that page and give the Sheriff's office a call ahead of time.  I am sure they will be helpful.  

Centre County Sheriff
Centre County Courthouse
Bellefonte PA 16823-1488
(814) 355-6803
county.centreconnect.org/211.htm

PA is one of the easiest states to get a CCW license, one of the reasons I still live in this state and why I moved the flock out of NJ years ago!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top