Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2003 5:43:06 PM EDT
Which is the better CCW/combat pistol? I am looking into buying one or the other (40 s&w) and need a little help.

I've read all the threads about the P99 and have to say I am impressed. I handled one the other day and I've got the itch for one but I've always been partial to Sigs. The 229 seems to fit me better than other Sig models.

Which would you prefer?

Poll coming.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That's like asking which to get: Rolls Royce or Bentley?

Clearly the P-229 has a bit longer track record to draw on than the P-99. I've shot both & really like the P-99.

For carry use, I prefer the Walther design because it's hammerless, IOW no spur to snag on clothing.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Anouther vote for the 99.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
99 ok gun but trigger pull is weird,its a traditional da but then its a 2 stage trigger
hard to describe borrow one first or rent one and try it.sigs are great accurate,dependable,great track record,but try both if you can,i personaly didnt like trigger
on 99 bought a 228 hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the P99.
Yes the trigger takes a little getting used to.....but after you do, you will like it!!!

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
As a shooter, I rather have the 229.

As a comfortable CHL weapon, I rather (and do) have the P99.

I like the P99's trigger. It still feels wierd but I shot great with it.

I am one of the few who have found the P99 to not be the most reliable.

I think the sig will handle being used and abused much better then the P99.

So in conclusion, I think the P229 is better for combat/open carry and the P99 is better for civilian personal protection/concealed carry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have done some real solid 1" / 25 yrd groups from a 229 and it is as reliable as it gets. The down side is it is on the bulky side.

If weight and size is an issue I say go with the P99 and if it isn't and you like the feel of the 229 better the Sig.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 40 one and it has been 100% reliable and very accurate. For me it is the most comfortable pistol in its size for my use. I absolutely love it. And you can use Beretta hi-caps in it with a slight mod!

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Having owned and shot both, the P229 wins..

Excellent ergos, flawless reliablity, accurate and not needing any tinkering..

The P99 is a fine gun too...IMO it's what a Glock should have been. Excellent grip, good accuracy, relaible.

The controls are a bit funky. It takes a bit to get used to the mag release, which if you all you shot were guns button type mag releases, then you will have a tough time...I did. The de-cocker is a bit of a reach if your hands are small...being on the slide makes it hard.

Both are great guns, but for a combat carry auto, go with the P229  
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the P229 a lot, but it is a tad wide to fit in an IWB holster.

My P99, however, conceals very easily under even just a T-shirt. I love my P99 and it is most often the pistol on my hip as of late. It is superbly accurate and very easy to shoot. I also like the small grip as it lets my big hands get an even better control on the recoil. (Which can be stiff with +P hollowpoints)

The Sig is an excellent weapon, but for CCW use I would take the P99...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Having owned and shot both, the P229 wins..

Excellent ergos, flawless reliablity, accurate and not needing any tinkering..

The P99 is a fine gun too...IMO it's what a Glock should have been. Excellent grip, good accuracy, relaible.

The controls are a bit funky. It takes a bit to get used to the mag release, which if you all you shot were guns button type mag releases, then you will have a tough time...I did. The de-cocker is a bit of a reach if your hands are small...being on the slide makes it hard.

Both are great guns, but for a combat carry auto, go with the P229  

This is the first gun I owned with such a mag release and I found it VERY easy and quick to learn so much so I know actually prefer that type.

As far as the decocker I really like that as well as it is large and easy to use all the while being totally un-obtrusive and snag free. I donr feel the 40 kicks any more than the similar in size G23.

And the trigger in SA, well it has 2 VERY distinct stages, the 1st is like nothing with an easily felt 2nd stage that is very easy to prep for a fast follow up. I like it very much, it;s not like the constant "mush" of a glock trigger.

SorryOciffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top