Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2005 9:56:04 AM EDT
Hi all. I am new to this forum and am not sure if I have posted to the correct section. I am a long-time Sig user, but not yet an owner. My duty weapon at work is a P228.

I was thinking of purchasing a P226, as a friend of mine is looking to sell his and buy another gun. I was hoping to get the "good buddy" discount, however I do not want to low-ball him too much on the price and make him feel guilty because he knows I am broke. I really want the gun, and can't really afford it, but I hesitate on missing a chance to get one at a good price, especially one in like-new condition. I need a personal weapon for off-duty training. He asked me to give him a reasoable offer, and is willing to offer it to me 1st before putting it up for sale. Maybe you guys can give me an idea of what this setup is worth, and what a reasonable offer might be.

This is what he is offering:
-Sig 226 9mm ,<90 rounds fired, looks brand new, paid $715 NEW in TN.
-3-dot Trijicon night sights
-Nitron finish,no scratches, he describes as 99%+
-Factory short trigger. Any of you guys find this beneficial? I am 5-11, 200# w/average hands ,L gloves.
-1-17 rd. mag, LEO stamped, purchased afterward. Does this mag extend beyond the end of the grip due to its length?
-2-10 rd. mags. I find this a problem because I need at least 3 high-cap mags for duty-carry. What is the going price for 15-17 rd. high-caps?

BTW, he originally stated that he might let it go to me for around $625, but I think he might want a little more since he found his receipt and discovered what the current price of a new 226 was going for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Used is used offer him the $625.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, $625 ain't bad, but $600 would be even better.  $500 wouldn't even be unreasonable if it's a buddy discount.

Also, the 17-round LEO mag isn't a Sig factory mag.  It's probably a Mec-Gar (which makes Sig mags).  The only difference between it and the 15-rounder is they shorterned the mag follower to fit the 17 rounds in it.  Other than that, it looks the same and will fit flush with the grip like the 15 rounder.

When the mag follower is shortened, it makes it more prone to tilting in the magazine and causing a jam.  Although I have not heard of any horror stories over the 17 rounder not working, many people would rather depend their life to the factory Sig 15 rounders, since they have the longer mag follower less likely to tilt and cause a failure.

You can find the factory Sig 15 rounder online at many places.  I believe CDNN has some in stock.   A Mec-Gar 15 rounder will be identical.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the word guys.  My friend has put the gun up for sale and found that he has gotten inquiries for close to what he paid for it.  I can't fault him for wanting to sell it to someone else, as I am not offering to come even close.  So, I have decided to go with Ordnance Outsellers and purchase a certified pre-owned 226 9mm with nitron finish and 2 mags for  about $500 to my door.  Just need to pick up a couple extra mags and some nightsights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top