Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:54:22 PM EDT
I read the posts regarding the P2000 performance issues, and am attempting to get as much information on this pistol as possible. I work with an agency in the Dept. of Homeland Security that is in the process of turning in it's Glock 17 9mms for the HK P2000 - with the LEM Trigger I'm pretty sure. Now I love my Glock, and can make that sucker sing, even with the heavier trigger the Agency mandates. I'm starting to get nervous about this P2000 thing as it seems that it doesn't seem to perform up to (HK's ) standard from the posts that I've seen.

Just wonderin' what all y'all think about the pistol....assume the following:
it will be in .40 S&W, and I won't have a choice about it (Bye-bye Glock).

Thanks.

Boom-Stick

"In valor, there is hope." -Tacitus
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll love it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It performs fully up to HK standards, I don't know who told you otherwise.  The LEM trigger is dandy if you like or must use DAO.  While I cannot say I am a fan of the P2K, it is not because the pistol does not perform.  Fully reliable and more accurate than it has a right to be but I do not like the LEM DAO trigger in any form and I do not like the V3 SA/DA decocker version either.  I much prefer the USP/C V1 with safety/Decock and DA/SA shooting. While I do not like my P2K and SK .40s it does not mean the pistols are bad or that there is anything wrong with them, it just means that I do not like them just as I do not like Glocks.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to post but Big Bore said it. Carrying cocked and locked is my attraction to the USP series.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Love it. It is my duty gun. The gun is stupid accurate, if you practice with it you will be stupid accurate too. I've been shooting bugs crawling on the target at 7 yards with it. I have had zero failures or even hiccups in the 2000 some rounds I have put through it. I have 100% confidence in that gun to go bang whenever I need it to and it did that right out of the box.
Either you'll like the LEM trigger or you won't if you go that way. Personally I like it, but apparently I'm wierd. I've got the V2, thinking about getting the trigger work done to turn it to the lighter version.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The P2000 is a great gun.  I have one in 9mm (going to list it for sale), and have put 500 rounds down the pipe, with absolutely no problem.  It is small, great for concealment, has different backstraps so it can be customized to your hand.  The sights are clear as day, and sight aquisition is great.

HOWEVER, the negatives for me are:  I am old school, and do not drop a magazine from the right side of the gun, even though the magazine release is ambidextrous.  I use my thumb.  It is not easily reached (like on a Sig or Browning), and I have to reach a little, which adjusts my grip to a non-firing hold on the gun.

The second negative (and the reason why I am selling), is the trigger action.  While I qualify with it at my agency, I am not very accurate with it.  My other gunS, I am a tack driver, and when I am done, the 10-ring is just about gone.  I cannot get precise groupings with the P2000.  Other people who have shot it have no problem.  The solution is practice, which I don't have a lot of time for (once or twice a month is all the time I have).

I guess I am impatient at learning to shoot it.  I believe you should be able to take ANY gun out of the box and shoot accurately.  I cant seem to get it with the P2000.

Just my .02, not the end all or be all of the gun.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I can use my index finger to close the slide and drop the mag. I thought this is really neat. can't do that with other guns. the slide lock on the right side is useful although i'm not left handed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW! 1st post since you registered 2 years ago.

I was recently issued a P2000.  I had to get used to it (previous issue was a .40 Beretta) but now I'm extremely comfortably with it.  There aren't any issues with the reliability of the pistol.  It passed a 10k test before DHS approved it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey bro,
You do lots of sitting on an X or does your station let you do the "real" job?  Seems each station or even sector is a whole different world in the big green machine.
Mi estacion no va a darme una P2000 hasta 2007.
Cuidado mano,
Honor First
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey bro,
You do lots of sitting on an X or does your station let you do the "real" job?  Seems each station or even sector is a whole different world in the big green machine.
Cuidado mano,
Honor First

I spent the first few years sitting on a hard X.  I could throw a rock and hit the next guys truck, we were stacked so thick.  Thankfully we went to 'areas of responsibility' about 5 years ago. We get assigned between 2 and 8 miles of winding river and are free to work it the way we want.  It's not as much area or freedom as I've seen out in AZ, but it's better than what it was.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey bro,
Cuidado mano,
Honor First

I spent the first few years sitting on a hard X.  I could throw a rock and hit the next guys truck, we were stacked so thick.  Thankfully we went to 'areas of responsibility' about 5 years ago. We get assigned between 2 and 8 miles of winding river and are free to work it the way we want.  It's not as much area or freedom as I've seen out in AZ, but it's better than what it was.

I'm guessing you guys are Border Patrol?
I'm thinking of applying when I get my degree in 2007.
The reason I clicked on this thread, was that I heard BP is going to the HK P2K
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, glad to see some of my colleagues in Mean Green are around here. I'm with a seaport unit with CBP (Cold Beer and Pizza...and you can't have Cold Beer and Pizza without ICE ... HAHA) . I have done a lot of training with my Glock, and wanted to get the overall feel for the opinion on the P2K out there as we'll be going to them at some point in the next year. I'm glad to hear that your guys are pleased with the P2K.

Be safe out there.

"In valor, there is hope." --Tacitus

hippie.gif
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Another member of the Green here.  Rumor has it we will get our P2K's in the next quarter...  we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had limited time with a P2K 9MM.  I didnt like it very much.  It had the LEM trigger.

I dont know if i'm just use to my USP 9 DA/SA, but I prefer that, over the P2K.  

Anyways, I had a few problems shooting it.
1) Had a hard time finding a good grip for it.  Not use to small frame guns, and i have small hands too.  

2)  Because of reason #1, I experienced lots of muzzle flip.  When I finally found a good grip, it was alright, but still snappy, and this was just a 9MM.

3)  When I found a good grip, I guess one of my fingers were barely touching the slide-release bar.  So it wouldnt lock back on the last round.  At least that's my reasoning.....

So honestly, I would take a USP C over the P2K as of now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a P2K .40 LEM.

I didn't like the LEM.  I decided I prefer H&K's standard trigger better.  But I prefer C&L carry, so I sold the P2K as it doesn't have a control lever.

The LEM is a love / hate thing it seems.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top