Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2002 5:28:38 PM EDT
I know that this should be in the ammunition section, but I figured I'd get a better response here.

I have a S+W model 60 in .357mag and I'm concerned about it going through the walls (which wouldn't be too hard), in the event I had to use it (God forbid!!).

I remember seeing some kind of ammo that would break down when it hits walls that was available in 38 spl, but don't remember where I saw it.

I wonder how good it really works---for defense purposes.

thanks.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Your refering to the class of frangible ammo.
Glaser safety slugs are one of the breed. When they hit anything the front end breaks open and releases shot.

It was originally developed for the air marshals but even they do not use it anymore.

you would be better off with one of the rapid expansion hollowpoints such as the starfire or hydra-shok. Just make sure you hit your target.

Overpenetration is of course always a consideration. Working for one of the largest sheriff's offices in the nation. We issue hydra-shok for our .45's and 9mm. and we have not had any overpenetration problems, and we shoot in all matter of circumstances and thru all forms of building materials.

Try to find a firing solution that offers the least amout of exposure to your neighbors apt's. if not then you may want to consider other alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If that is your concern, the Glaser round or the Mag-Safe round will do the trick.  They are very specialized rounds as opposed to general purpose rounds, but within that specialized area they do an excellent job.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased years ago at a local gunshow some .38+p made by Triton called 'Quikshot'.It's a 110grn bullet that fragments into 3 'equal' projectiles.Tried it thru several different 3-D targets and got three seperate exit channels.seems to work pretty good.IMO, I would never use .357 ammo in an apartment.But then again,are my +P's too much? They do fragment.Hmmmm....
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok---thanks a lot guys!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top