Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 5:00:41 PM EDT
Found a set of new Novak night sights on the EE.  They came off a Springfield Armory 1911, the same model I have; mine has the factory plain black sights.

Having never tinkered with Novak sights before, anyone have any opinions on how hard they are to swap out?  Can I do it myself, or should I pay to have someone do it?

One other question--the plain front sight has a small set hex screw to hold it in place, but the new night sight has no such animal.  How, then, is it held in place?  Nothing but tension, or something else?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
[echo]  Anyone out there?  [/echo]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The slide will need to be machined for the Novak sight to fit, the front sight is dovetailed, it's just a press fit.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The slide's already dovetailed--the sights I bought came off a SA 1911, I'm going to replace the factory black sights on my SA 1911 with these.

Question is, is this something I can do myself, and if so, how, or should I let a professional do it?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can get the old sights off easily and the new ones are "bolt on" you can do it.  If not it will require some fitting and/or drill and tapping for the new hole pattern.  You can try and do it, but if it isn't strictly a bolt on job I would opt for the gunsmith option.  I can get a set of sights installed for about $30 in about 10 minutes and if you mess up the fitting of the metal to metal parts, you aren't going to be able to fix it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top