Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/30/2011 2:52:14 PM EDT
I recently bought a browning high power mk3 - serial number indicates it was built in 1992. The frame seems to be forged instead of cast. Is it ok to shoot 9mm +p ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:22:55 PM EDT
Welcome to the world of the timeless Hi- Power!

I have fired limited amounts of plus P thru my Mark III with no issues. I don't think it's an issue with the Mark III but I have read the use of such is ill advised in the older Hi- Powers. Others on here are much more knowledgeable and perhaps they will weigh in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:44:14 PM EDT
There is a good article about this topic here:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPandHighPressureAmmo.htm

FWIW, I try to avoid shooting +P in my HP's. If I feel the need to shoot +P I have other pistols that will probably handle it better in the long run. If you want to shoot +P, it is generally suggested that you at least use a 18.5lb recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:46:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mike92GT:
There is a good article about this topic here:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPandHighPressureAmmo.htm

FWIW, I try to avoid shooting +P in my HP's. If I feel the need to shoot +P I have other pistols that will probably handle it better in the long run. If you want to shoot +P, it is generally suggested that you at least use a 18.5lb recoil spring.

Excellent article! Many thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:53:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alex_B69:
I recently bought a browning high power mk3 - serial number indicates it was built in 1992. The frame seems to be forged instead of cast. Is it ok to shoot 9mm +p ?

Flip it upside down and look at the butt. If the butt of the frame (by the mag well) has grooves it is cast. A few cast frames did not get the grooves but the vast majority did.

Any Hi Power is safe to shoot +P............but you'll need to replace the recoil spring more often or better yet get an extra power Wolff spring set.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:11:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Originally Posted By Alex_B69:

Flip it upside down and look at the butt. If the butt of the frame (by the mag well) has grooves it is cast. A few cast frames did not get the grooves but the vast majority did.

Any Hi Power is safe to shoot +P............but you'll need to replace the recoil spring more often or better yet get an extra power Wolff spring set.

Mine does not have the grooves. I know it was made in 1992 by the serial number.
Top Top