Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:52:14 PM EDT
I recently bought a browning high power mk3 - serial number indicates it was built in 1992. The frame seems to be forged instead of cast. Is it ok to shoot 9mm +p ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the world of the timeless Hi- Power!  

I have fired limited amounts of plus P thru my Mark III with no issues.  I don't think it's an issue with the Mark III but  I have read the use of such is ill advised in the older Hi- Powers. Others on here are much more knowledgeable and perhaps they will weigh in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a good article about this topic here:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPandHighPressureAmmo.htm

FWIW, I try to avoid shooting +P in my HP's.  If I feel the need to shoot +P I have other pistols that will probably handle it better in the long run.  If you want to shoot +P, it is generally suggested that you at least use a 18.5lb recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is a good article about this topic here:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPandHighPressureAmmo.htm

FWIW, I try to avoid shooting +P in my HP's.  If I feel the need to shoot +P I have other pistols that will probably handle it better in the long run.  If you want to shoot +P, it is generally suggested that you at least use a 18.5lb recoil spring.

Excellent article! Many thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently bought a browning high power mk3 - serial number indicates it was built in 1992. The frame seems to be forged instead of cast. Is it ok to shoot 9mm +p ?

Flip it upside down and look at the butt. If the butt of the frame (by the mag well) has grooves it is cast. A few cast frames did not get the grooves but the vast majority did.

Any Hi Power is safe to shoot +P............but you'll need to replace the recoil spring more often or better yet get an extra power Wolff spring set.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flip it upside down and look at the butt. If the butt of the frame (by the mag well) has grooves it is cast. A few cast frames did not get the grooves but the vast majority did.

Any Hi Power is safe to shoot +P............but you'll need to replace the recoil spring more often or better yet get an extra power Wolff spring set.

Mine does not have the grooves. I know it was made in 1992 by the serial number.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top