Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 11:00:55 PM EDT

I don't venture over to this side of the fence very often, but a few months back I won this 5-1/2" barrel Uberti at an NRA fundraiser. It's my first single action revolver, and I have some questions for you guys.

I went out and shot about 50 rounds of some cowboy load (may have been ultramax but I can't remember). The load shot right on in terms of windage, but shot several inches high at 25 feet.

What kind of load is appropriate for these beasties, and what distance are they usually zeroed at? I'm not used to the .45colt trajectory.

Has anybody removed the silly little safety doo-dad on hammer of one of these? I've read that many CAS guys do this to improve the action a bit. Should I bother? I'd really rather have it as close to an original in feel as I can. It's the only thing that really seems hokey on the gun. I understand the hammer down on an empty chamber thing...

I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this pistol for the prices they go for. Although I don't have experience with a "real" SAA, it seems quite tight and has a great (light and crisp) trigger. I ended up paying $200.00 for the chance of winning it, so I'm pretty happy with the bargain!

Here are a couple of pics.

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had a few ifthe Uberti guns and have been pleased in the past.  One thing that I found was that all of them needed a little   cleaning up and parts dressing of burrs and rough spots.  There is a lot of good sights that go through what needs to be done.  Also, look into getting a new set of springs from Wolff or my favorite the Lee Gunslinger kit; be sure to get the round wire spring and not the flat kit becasue the flat kits have a tendancy to brake.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I have found some good pages on tuning these things and playing with the springs, but I am pretty clueless about the cartridge.

Does anybody have some sage advice about .45colt?

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
wow thats a nice gun, i like it.  I'll give you 250.00 for it!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you simply holding up too much of the front blade in the rear groove? You really just barely want to see the top of the sight level with the groove. Try it at longer distances and with real 45 colt loads to see if it patterns differently.

They may leave it intentionally too tall for folks to file and turn for final sight adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I was really careful to just use the tip of the blade. It shot ridiculously high.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you simply holding up too much of the front blade in the rear groove? You really just barely want to see the top of the sight level with the groove. Try it at longer distances and with real 45 colt loads to see if it patterns differently.

They may leave it intentionally too tall for folks to file and turn for final sight adjustment.

DO NOT DO THIS!

These are built off the original Colt patents for loadings that used Black Powder. They will not hold up to modern smokeless loads. The "Cowboy" loads are made to resemble the pressures of the old black-powder loadings and that is what you need to shoot through these.

WTA: My Spelling was sucked.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the warning. That was my thought as well. I have no plans on putting hot loads through this pistol.

However.

How would bullet weight effect trajectory? How hot a load is too hot? Can I shoot standard pressure FMJ  ammo or should I restrict myself solely to lead reduced pressure loads?

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Chris,

I can't really answer those questions. My Uberti is mostly just for fun, so I have never tried to get the most out of it, I just buy cowboy loads.

Maybe check a C.A.S. or S.A.S.S. forum, these are often used in cowboy shooting sports.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wow thats a nice gun, i like it.  I'll give you 250.00 for it!!

Heh. I'm sure you would!

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What kind of load is appropriate for these beasties ........

The standard pressure Cowboy loads you mentioned are "standard" for the .45 Colt.

The Uberti's are fine "clones" ................. enjoy it!

I've been a Cowboy Action Shooter for 6 years.......As far as modifications are concerned I suggest leaving the mechanicals alone and simply replace the mainspring to lighten the hammer pull.......this is easy and the lighter springs are available from many sources.

The .45 Colt is easily handloaded and is a hoot to shoot.

The Uberti "clones" aren't designed to be shot alot with FIREBALL loads.......just load them with standard pressure rounds with the 250 gr or 200 gr slugs and be happy with it.
For some real enjoyment get a lever action rifle in the same caliber!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of load is appropriate for these beasties ........

The standard pressure Cowboy loads you mentioned are "standard" for the .45 Colt.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say, I was just trying to steer him clear of the hotter loadings that some call "Ruger" loads.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, hot loads were never my intention. Does anybody know what distance these "cowboy" loads should zero at? I'm a bit concerned that it prints so high at 25 feet. I'd rather not have to put a taller front sight on it if this problem can be solved by load selection...

Thanks a lot,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top