Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 6:20:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Of the ten Mosquito's we've sold.  Seven have had to go back to the factory and the eigth one brought back to the store today.  They seem to be almost as problematice as the Walther P-22.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
what seems to be the problems with the Mosquito that 9 out of 10 have had problems necessitating a trip back to the factory.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife just shot one the other weekend. Ran 100% with match ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Mosquitos need to be broken in with roughly 250 - 500 rounds, before they run 100%.  I had a few hiccups with mine, but once I got to roughly 300 rounds everything seemed to work itself out.

The claims that 9 out of 10 Mosquitos need factory repair are greatly exagerated 'internet lore'.  There has to be 13-17 guys at my range with Mosquitos and nobody had any issues after breaking the gun in and nobody had to sent them back to the factory.   Keep in mind that it is a .22 target gun with an inexpensive price tag, not an expensive carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mosquitos need to be broken in with roughly 250 - 500 rounds, before they run 100%.  I had a few hiccups with mine, but once I got to roughly 300 rounds everything seemed to work itself out.

The claims that 9 out of 10 Mosquitos need factory repair are greatly exagerated 'internet lore'.  There has to be 13-17 guys at my range with Mosquitos and nobody had any issues after breaking the gun in and nobody had to sent them back to the factory.   Keep in mind that it is a .22 target gun with an inexpensive price tag, not an expensive carry gun.

Might be an exageration.  Might not.  My Mosquito is back at Sig for work right now.

DA trigger is abysmal.  After 1K rounds it was still abysmal.  Feel like I may have damaged a nerve in my trigger finger after 200rnds on the first range trip with it.

Slide lock is floppy, takedown lever rotates 360 deg even when firing and I never got through a full mag without a FTF/FTE of some sort.  The list goes on.

I've talked to several sig folks and the consesus seems to be that the Mosquito could have been better.  I like it enough to keep working with it and try to make it better.

Not a good platform (mine anyway) for teaching beginning shooters in its present state.  Not all that inexpensive at nearly $350 to $400.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
So, I take it I ought to go with the SIG-Hammerli Trailside pistols instead, huh? They're about the same price at the local store.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So, I take it I ought to go with the SIG-Hammerli Trailside pistols instead, huh? They're about the same price at the local store.

Perhaps.

My reason for getting the Mosquito was/is the fact that it is about the size of a Sig P229.  It has the controls setup similar to other Sigs therfore I surmised that it would be a good choice for training new shooters (the wife for example).  I didn't expect that it would be a "target" pistol like the SIG-Hammerli Trailside or Buckmark.

I now realize that it is more important to teach the basics such as safety/sight picture/trigger control/grip etc. with a simple straight forward 22 cal. handgun than it is to worry about similarites to defensive weapons.  When you teach someone the basics they will easily adapt those basics to other weapons platforms.

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#8]
problems with a .22LR pistol?  NO WAY! /end sarcasm
Probably becuase my dog farts more GAS than a 22LR bullet can't produce...

better get off my before I get

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Absolutely.  The Sig-Hamerli is one of the best rimfire handguns ever made.  

All of the Ruger Mark II variants run like gangbusters too!!! Much lower cost.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  The Sig-Hamerli is one of the best rimfire handguns ever made.  

All of the Ruger Mark II variants run like gangbusters too!!! Much lower cost.

+1 for the Trailsides!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top