Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:17:57 PM EDT
Alright guys, I just purchased my 3rd pistol. After a 92FS and a 1911, I felt compelled to try a Glock after a defensive handgun course with a bunch of LEO's. For variety's sake, I picked the .40 S&W G22. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but I couldn't help but stumble on to the warnings to re-barrel it with an after-market barrel with more chamber support. I don't plan on reloading anytime soon, and have noticed that this was a common factor in a lot of the horror stories. With all the G22's in service, I know there is probably little to worry about. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't really a "standard procedure" or something. Just wanted to get the opinion of people who actually shoot these scary polymer guns rather than the opinions of those that are too afraid to try them for fear they may actually like it. So, am I gonna be sorry if I *gasp* shoot my new G22 right out of the box?!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well i have more then 12k+ rounds out of a glock 22 with a stock barrel shooting moly coated lead!!!!!!.
I think you will be fine.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I  think I've shot about 30 jacketed bullets out of my 4 Glocks ever(9mm, .40, .45).

The other 15k or so lead.

So , just shoot the "BALLS" off of it!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The factory Glock barrels are of the highest quality, especially being hammer forged. So long as you keep your weapon clean, and fire only clean, newly manufactured, commercial ammo, you shouldn't have a problem. Dont fire uncle Bobs reloads, or ammo you are uncertain of. I personally would not shoot lead out of the factory barrel.

Aftermarket barrels are better for shooting lead because they use a different type of rifling than the Glock barrels. They have slightly tighter chambers than factory barrels and usually offer a little more case support at the 6:00 position. There is no such thing as a fully supported .40 chamber as the round would not feed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top