Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2010 7:07:07 PM EDT
I've been working on a little project for a while.  I like to shoot lead because of the cost.  I don't like to shoot lead because of the smoke.  I use a slow powder but the smoke was distracting and it's annoying when the targets disappear.

This project started as a weight savings idea that morphed into something far better.  I have the full run down of how and why posted on another site but here I'll just post the down and dirty.
- 6 inch barrel that is as light as a bushing barrel, yet does not require a bushing.  Less reciprocating mass.
- Freebore Muzzle that acts like a vortex cannon projecting gas and smoke straight out.

Here's the test prototype, from the muzzle end.  It's a little rough, but you get the idea.

VIDEO:
A standard 5 inch barrel is first. The smoke actually comes back toward the shooter.  The W2R barrel jets the blast over 4 feet forward. Same ammo, same bullets, same power factor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V_fC-XVk_s
One more. 20 rounds of lead, then 10 of jacketed. The blast goes forward and dissipates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-zDzJirpU

The first production barre I received to testl is as accurate as the original 6" bull barrel I installed in the gun.

This has been a really fun project so far.  I shoot a 6" gun, but now I'm considering doing 5" barrel's like this too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That's great!  I've always hated the smoke cloud from lead, but I'm the same way on the cost side.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
good job!  its very attractive
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you achieve the same effect with just a short sleave on a threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
That's actually what this is.  Based on the testing I did with the first prototype, I needed close to 1 inch of counterbore to achieve my goal.  That put the effective length (lands and grooves) right at 5.2".  
This gave me double the bore diameter in free space length and also put me right at the 5.0oz mark.  Which was the goal based on the weight of a bushing barrel.

Starting off with a Briley barrel, Claudio (at Briley) was able to contour the barrel and cone into a seamless junction.  There is no lip like on cone style comps.  Using this method maintains 100% repeatable manufacturing tolerances.  The side benefit is that if the cone wears it can be swapped out.  Like changing a worn (or poorly fit) barrel bushing to regain tight lock up.  I've personally never worn out a barrel though.  I was really happy with the accuracy results.  Come to find out Briley has a pretty long history making pistol parts.  

I need to take the barrel out and take more pics.  I've been shooting the snot out of so I'll have to clean it first....
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
What you use a rat tail file and a hack saw, or do I have u confused with someone else?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
very cool, is there a utube of shooting it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's actually what this is.  Based on the testing I did with the first prototype, I needed close to 1 inch of counterbore to achieve my goal.  That put the effective length (lands and grooves) right at 5.2".  
This gave me double the bore diameter in free space length and also put me right at the 5.0oz mark.  Which was the goal based on the weight of a bushing barrel.

Starting off with a Briley barrel, Claudio (at Briley) was able to contour the barrel and cone into a seamless junction.  There is no lip like on cone style comps.  Using this method maintains 100% repeatable manufacturing tolerances.  The side benefit is that if the cone wears it can be swapped out.  Like changing a worn (or poorly fit) barrel bushing to regain tight lock up.  I've personally never worn out a barrel though.  I was really happy with the accuracy results.  Come to find out Briley has a pretty long history making pistol parts.  

I need to take the barrel out and take more pics.  I've been shooting the snot out of so I'll have to clean it first....

Please go into more details.  Are you saying that you think the . . . blast tube . . . should be twice as long as the bore is wide?

I shoot a good bit of lead 9mm rounds, and if I could get the same effect from a threaded barrel with an easy on/off threaded extension, that might be great for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
very cool, is there a utube of shooting it?

Yep, links are in first post.

Link Posted: 7/2/2010 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm headed to the range this morning.  My goal is get some low light video using factory ammo and comparing it with a standard barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 2:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]
looks like it works great!
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a Briley Versitility, it is a very nice 1911 and put together very well. They don't have the name recognition other makes do but compare well.

Interesting setup, are you going to have a special bore brush made to clean out the lead that will build up eventually?
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#15]
20ga bore brush.

I'm looking into a military style scraper tool.  Since the freebore is smooth, and has a CNC held dimension, a scraper tool is easy.  Similar to an M249 gas regulator scraper tool, or the combo tool for an M240.  

Something similar to this:  Shaped to fit the inside contour of the cone.
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/25688-ar-15-m16-bolt-carrier-carbon-scraper-bolt-carrier-carbon-scraper-a-o-manufacturing.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
That is one of the most inovative ideas I've seen in a 1911 for some time.
Hope you filed for a Patent.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#17]
While the effort is valient, its not new. There was a little experimentation with freeboring 1911 bull and standard barrels in the late 80's and early 90's.
Even so far as freeboring the barrel to officers length.  The best that was achieved at that time was moving the muzzle blast slightly forward and changing the shape. It sounds as if your getting the gains your looking for.........

Good Luck!

Chuck Warner
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Update:  I'm just finishing up installing a Schuemann 6" bushing barrel.  I had to get very creative on the bushing since my slide is cut in a way that prevents using a long spring plug.  

I'm testing the difference in recoil and feel between the W2R barrel and a standard length barrel.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#19]
A long range shooter friend of mine told me about this rifle, more importantly, about the recessed crown on this rifle.
4100fps with a recessed crown and accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue.  I guess the de-stabilization arguement is out the window.
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/09/24/franklins-4000fps-30-cal-varminter-a-hit-with-hunters/
http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/favoritevarmintrifles.htm
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A long range shooter friend of mine told me about this rifle, more importantly, about the recessed crown on this rifle.
4100fps with a recessed crown and accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue.  I guess the de-stabilization arguement is out the window.
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/09/24/franklins-4000fps-30-cal-varminter-a-hit-with-hunters/
http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/favoritevarmintrifles.htm

That video is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
this is very cool, looking forward to hearing/seeing more.

Makes me want a 6" er
Top Top