Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 11/6/2002 5:11:56 AM EDT
On another board on the net, a gun writer and a pistolsmith are discussing reviving the ASP concept, but using a modern design, easily available handgun for the base.  One that is a strong contender is the Kahr K9.  I was fortunate enough to own to ASP's in the past.  1st was built on a 39-2 and the 2nd on a 439 (I was also foolish enough to sell them [whacks self in head repeatedly], before they became the collectors items they are today).

I think the K9 would be a GREAT base gun, following the ASP concept, but omitting the Guttersnipe sight (never got used to them!) and the lexan grips (every set I had cracked around the grip escusions, within 100 rounds).

So, what would you think of such a customised K9/New ASP??  You thoughts and observations, please.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's an unnecessary, expensive concept, especially since the Kahr K9, unmodified, meets almost every design criteria for the ASP.  The P9 is even closer due to its lighter weight.  I just don't see the utility.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the ASP concept is dated.  It has been made obsolete by the current crop of compact autos.  I did and still do like the guttersnipe sighting system....always intrigued me.  What was it about the sights you didn't like, beachboy?  I don't own a firearm with the system, but thought about converting an NAA guardian at one point.  Also saw a Glock in Combat Handguns a couple of years back that had a guttersnipe.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think the ASP concept is dated.  It has been made obsolete by the current crop of compact autos.  I did and still do like the guttersnipe sighting system....always intrigued me.  What was it about the sights you didn't like, beachboy?  I don't own a firearm with the system, but thought about converting an NAA guardian at one point.  Also saw a Glock in Combat Handguns a couple of years back that had a guttersnipe.

I think you can trace a developmental line from the ASP to the boxy 469 and 669 and then the 3913/3914 single stack 9mm's by S&W.  I had a customised 3913 built by Kurt Wickmann and Ken Novak that was a near replacement.
For me the Guttersnipe sights were a struggle to use, for 2 reasons.  One due to years of using conventional front and rear sights, I had a tendancy to elevate the front of the slide when sighting, looking for a non-exsisting front sight.  And due to the fact that I carried conventionally sighted handguns as a LEO at the time I could not dedicate myself to the Guttersnipe concept.  Also I am cross dominate, right handed and left master eye. This too, caused me to have to slow down and concentrate on using and balancing the Guttersnipe sight plane.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it's an unnecessary, expensive concept, especially since the Kahr K9, unmodified, meets almost every design criteria for the ASP.  The P9 is even closer due to its lighter weight.  I just don't see the utility.

There are several features that would be a plus on the K9.  Such as an extensive "dehorning"  like the ASP's had, there were no sharp edges on those guns.  Truly felt like a "well used bar of soap"  The grips and magazines modified to allow an easy ammo capacity check at a glance.  The trigger guard modified to allow the tip of the dominant index finger to slip by with out resistance, are just a few that come to mind.
Besides, owning a true custom handgun isn't always about utility...sometimes it's about wanting something unique.  Can't always point to justifiable reasons as much as just...because I want it!...
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There are several features that would be a plus on the K9.  Such as an extensive "dehorning"  like the ASP's had, there were no sharp edges on those guns.  Truly felt like a "well used bar of soap"

I can see the removal of sharp edges.  Okay.

The grips and magazines modified to allow an easy ammo capacity check at a glance.

Bzzztt!!!  Take your eyes off a potential threat to check your ammo?  No, thanks!

The trigger guard modified to allow the tip of the dominant index finger to slip by with out resistance, are just a few that come to mind.

No big deal there.  That's the old "Bill Jordan" shaved triggerguard trick.

Besides, owning a true custom handgun isn't always about utility...sometimes it's about wanting something unique.  Can't always point to justifiable reasons as much as just...because I want it!...

Now THAT I can understand.  
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top