Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2013 5:22:22 AM EDT
Getting ready to take my new 92-A1 to the range for the first time.  Any advice regarding breaking it in?  Also any particular advice regarding ammo selection?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it real good and shoot the snot out of it. No "break in" necessary. Run a bunch of different ammo through it. If it is worth keeping it will eat anything.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure to give it a good cleaning to remove the factory grease.. Oil it good and enjoy. yellow box PMC is the only ammo I have ever heard of some guns not liking when new due to it being a weak load but even those would eat it up after 100 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It ain't a 1911.

Clean it, load it up, shoot it until it goes 'click'.

Repeat.

Change the recoil spring in 4000-5000 rounds, keep it lubed and clean, and it will serve you for a very long time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it!
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say use some stronger/higher pressure loaded ammo for break in.

When my 92A1 was new I had one FTE and a lots of shoddy ejection with cheap TulaAmmo.  After that when I tested some 124gr HST (not +P, mind you) I noticed that the casings were all ejected in a much more positive manner.

Gotta keep in mind, standard European 9mm in a bit hotter than standard USA 9mm and the European guns are built accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Also be sure to clean out the magazines. My 92A1's magazines were chock full of the preservative.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I ensure the gun is not gunked up and is lubed well then fire 300-400 through it before cleaning. Just my deal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Make sure to give it a good cleaning to remove the factory grease.. Oil it good and enjoy. yellow box PMC is the only ammo I have ever heard of some guns not liking when new due to it being a weak load but even those would eat it up after 100 rounds or so.

PMC bronze or Remington UMC mega pack?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
both my m9a1's shoot everything from tula to premium hp ammo 115gr. to 124gr. no problem ever.  shot alot of the aluminum case blaser too, no problems. 92's arent finicky to ammo imo
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I was finally able to get to the range today, and was able to fire about 100 rounds before I had to leave.  Seller & Bellot, American Eagle and Winchester (all 124 grain) shot flawlessly for me, but my wife had 3 failures to seat properly, about 1/3 of her total shots, before she gave it back to me and went back to her XD.  I loved it and am looking forward to firing off a bunch more rounds, but I don't think we'll be using it for our go-to home defense weapon until my wife gets a better handle on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top