Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2002 7:13:37 PM EDT
I finally picked up my 1991 Gov`t model about two weeks ago after a 4 1/2 month wait for my pistol permit. After a good cleaning, I finally got it to the range yesterday.  I had one failure to eject that i believe was due to an aftermarket mag, and one mag that didn`t want to drop free ( again aftermarket). Other than  that it functioned flawlessly. It` a matte blue 5" barrel piece of art. I`m pleased.

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
How did the factory mags work?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Armabill
I had 2 Colt factory mags that worked flawlessly.
Cocked and Locked,
The two non colt mags are stainless steel mags I got for my Series 70. They haven`t been exercised for awhile. They`re due for a good cleaning and lube.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 1991A1 Commander and my mags also work ok. I tried a Chip Mccormick in it too and got the same results.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got a Wilson mag yesterday. Can`t wait totry it out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a 1991A1 Commander.  I'm off to the range tonight to see how it shoots.

I don't know what it is about having 3/4" whacked off of the end that makes it so much better for carrying, but I like it better than a 5" gun.  I love the black parkerizing too.

ARBOB,
I've had a lot of trouble with my 10+ year old mags in several 5" guns recently.  Maybe it's the alignment of the planets?  Your plan of cleaning plus a fresh spring has fixed all but one.  

Also, I moved out of The Democratic People's Republic of New Jersery over the exact nonsense you had to go through.  It took me a while to line up a good job, but it was worth it.  Now I'm adult enought to buy machineguns and carry a concealed handgun.

Good luck with your new Colt a good luck with NJ.

Jon

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
My duty gun is a 1991A1. I have some 8 round McCormick mags that work perfectly while the Colt mag that came with it fails to lock the slide back when the last round is fired. Sometimes they're just picky I guess.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my Colt 1991 a few  months ago.  I liked it at first, but in my haste, I did not look at it closely enough before I bought it.

While I like the pistol, I noticed that the trigger was PLASTIC, upon close inspection I noticed the mainspring housing was plastic too.  Needless to say I put some money into the gun. Whole trigger job, and new mainspring housing.  

I was very upset that I paid that much for a Colt and there were important parts that were plastic.  My fault for not looking close enough before I bought it.

Just don't pistol whip anyone with it and you should be fine.

Function is good with good ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Plastic parts...I never heard of them failing and are not as cold to the hand/finger in cold weather. I know its a cheap out, but they work. I have the stainless replacements, just in case. I love my 1991-A1, similar to my series '80 Govt. model, except that ugly sand blasted finish (I glass beaded my slide, looks much better) On hand are a few of the Mec-Gar 11 round mags, that work fine in my 1991, Govt. and Gold Cup...all stainless, of course.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top