Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2018 1:55:02 PM EDT
I bought a used Cimarron 1873 SAA revolver clone at the last gunshow.

The original owner filed the front sight short. It shoots way high with 250gr loads.

Looking for a good gunsmith who can replace it for a reasonable cost and timeframe.

....or thinking about getting some brownells silver solder & flux and trying myself.

Imagine I'd have to make up a jig to keep it from tilting as the solder cooled

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/solders-flux/hi-force-44-solder-prod709.aspx

replacement, upside down to compare heights...

original sight, poorly filed...

Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you thought about building the sight up with silver solder?
Then filing to point of aim.Just a thought.

After some thought,i would use silicon bronze rod.
Sticks to most any metal,low melting temp, and would work
well as a sight bead.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Send it to uberti and don’t worry about it. They will fix it but it won’t be covered under warrenty
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send it to uberti and don’t worry about it. They will fix it but it won’t be covered under warrenty
View Quote
they said it would be cheaper and easier to just replace the barrel
said about $150

Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Solder it and file it round.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I found this. give them a call, you may be able to shave yours down and use this.
http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=23
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I want it to look like a traditional old Colt.

Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The original Colt's had their front sights brazed or high temp soldered in - I believe the clones are done that way also. To replace it, you need to have it heated to around 1100 deg. - and as such, will need to be refinished once the new sight is in.

If you want it to look like it was done at the factory - I think $150.00 will be your cheapest option!

If you have good welding & filing skills, you can Tig or Arc weld a few beads across the top of the existing sight - but if you have to pay for someone with that skill, it still might be cheaper to get a new barrel.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top