Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 7:48:05 AM EDT
When I shoot my G19, my right thumb holds the slide catch down, thus not letting the gun lock open when empty. When I try putting my thumb eslewhere, it changes my grip and really opens up my groups.
This isn't major deal most of the time. The fact that it doesn't lock doesn't cause much problems in normal use.  But I've been kicking around the idea of shooting in the local Glock matches. That last shot on an empty chamber, and having to rack the slide after a reload won't help me any, time wise.

I was thinking I'd just remove the tap on the slide lock lever. Then to drop the slide I'd have to pull back and let go. Slower, but at least I'd know when the gun was empty.  Thing is.. if I do this, it won't be stock anymore.  I'd have to shoot with the old salts in modified / master class?  I dunno...

Anyone have this same problem, if so, is there something you've done about it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would really recommend that you relearn your grip. Put your thumb on the web of your support hand.

Second you should not shoot to slide lock (except in some situations in idpa, never in uspsa/ipsc). What type of competition are you shooting? You have to plan your stages and reload before you run dry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If the Glock matches you are talking about are the GSSF matches then modifying the slide lock wouldn't change the class your in as long as the modified part is a Glock part. Also when shooting a GSSF match there are no reloads under the clock.

I had the same problem when I started with Glocks, but I have changed my grip and after getting used to it I shoot just as good as before.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
cigna63... thanks for the info. Guess I was reading the stages wrong (the "course of fire" is poorly described on their websight.

Yarl.. I shoot just like your picture..  only my hands are MUCH larger than your models.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had this problem also!  Changed my grip and it did the trick but I still don't like it!  The former grip I used just felt natural now it's a bit awkward.  Time will cure that I guess!  I even thought of folding(gently) the catch upward so I could still use it when needed but felt it may weaken/fatigue the metal so I canned that idea.  I mostly use the "pull and release" method as well and thought about removing the lever altogether.  Again,  didn't do it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
when we 1st went to Glocks @ work(long time ago)
 We had 2 guys with this problem however we were always taught to use the Tap,Rack, Bang system.  Shoot till you reload/empty then insert new mag and rack slide. Releasing the slide uses fine motor skill which may be difficult or slow under stress. We found that racking the slide is actually quicker and utilizes simple motor, easier under stress:)
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
XWing is 100% correct.  The proper method of releasing a locked slide is to grab the slide and pull it back, then let it go.  It is much safer, and the method is taught at every first rate combat handgun school in the country (Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, Blackwater, etc.).  You won't be able to manipulate the slide lock in a gunfight.  Trust me, all ten of your digits turn into thumbs when you loose your fine motor skills in combat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top