Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2009 8:23:55 PM EDT
I posted this in the Sig Forum yesterday, and thought it would be informative here as well..

- When I bought my Sig Pro 2022 it was because of the price and quality compared to Glock, XD, M&P, etc.. After I bought it, shot it, took it apart and tinkered with it, I couldn't believe what a real value it was for the money. Even though it is polymer framed, it was less expensive than the other brands listed, excellent quality and accurate beyond my expectations.

The only two things I didn't like (pertaining to carry only) was the lanyard loop extension on the small grip, and the pinky ledge extension on the mags. Makes the gun (grip/handle) a little too long (height) and the pinky mag base prints and catches on my shirts. I don't know why they have them on such a good sized grip.

Anyway, I have resolved my issue and it's just perfect for me now. I bought a small stippled grip w/o the lanyard thingy from Urbanamish99 (thanks again for the deal!) and I sanded and polished 1 of the magazine bases to remove the pinky ledge and contour it to match the grip frame.
The shortening of the overall height is just shy of 3/8" and the mag base feels/looks better under the shirt. The other mags are not a problem, but my carry mag was bugging me.

Here's some pics of the before and after:

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I've got big hands... if I didn't have the ledge on the mag my pinky would be hanging off the gun.

Looks good though, not like you just hacked away at it, but nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess I've got big hands... if I didn't have the ledge on the mag my pinky would be hanging off the gun.

Looks good though, not like you just hacked away at it, but nice and smooth.

Optimus, man you must have big hands.. I'm 6'0, 210, and have bigger than average hands shooting guns like the Desert Eagle, Coonan's etc, that most complain are too big for them. They fit me just perfect.

I do have to be honest and say than my plinky rests on that last little ridge I left on the baseplate, but it's flush right to the bottom. Just perfect.

The problem was not holding or shooting, but the "pinky protruding ledge" was a problem 'printing' while carrying. It was just more a nusance than anything.

Thanks for the compliment on the mod.. I've been modding real guns, paintball guns, Sci-fi props, etc for over 30 years. I'm in production engineering, machining and sheetmetal, so my skill-set (fortunately) is "there" for quality modifications. If I don't like something, I modify it until I do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is not a Sig... no no no no NO!

I like polymer guns as much as the next guy, but not my beloved Sigs.

OK Hiram, I can understand how you feel. I have seen many other makers switching to polymer guns that used to be "all steel" and yes, it bothers me, but we have to move forward with the times no matter how painful.

Personally I don't like polymer, plastic whatever, but have to admit they do make sense for capacity, ergo's, weight, etc.. for carry purposes.

I had 2 other Sigs in the last 15-20 years, one was a 226, and the other I honestly forgot. Both had alloy/alum frames, and I hated the feel of both of them. Just didn't fit me. Then I tried all forms of Glocks. This was in the early days (gen 1) and they didn't work for me either.

Now I am accepting polymer more than the past.. (still own several all steel guns though). When I bought this Sig Pro 2022, I was and still am in semi-difficult financial conditions, but wanted a carry gun this size I could afford.  The newer glocks, M&P, XD's and this Sig all seemed to fit me well... The ergo's have all been upgraded over the years on the poly's...

But I chose the Sig!!  Bro, it's a start back into the Sig family. C'mon man, be accepting...  You wouldn't prefer I bought a glock, would you??

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Optimus, man you must have big hands..

I think I've got wide hands, my fingers aren't extremely long, but my hands are very boxy.  Plus I am around 6'5" and 215ish lbs... so I'm not  a little guy either.
After playing around with mine a little more, I think my hand would fit about the same on your gun as yours does though.  I think I just have a little more preference for some extra gun under my pinkie.

Have you shot it that way yet?  I know mine has a bit of flip, I don't know how much the ledge helps fight that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought the same gun the other day....... 525..havent shot it yet, Had one before in 40.....    I have a glock 36 for my conceal carry.. I bought this because I have alot of 9mm amm and no gun... I was going to get the ruger LCP before figured what I was going to spend on the gun then needed to go buy ammo for it, I got this instead... Yes I like the p226 but for the price of this, cant beat it..
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Is 525 the average price for a 2022?  Just curious as I came across a deal from a guy for a NIB for $400 as he is needing the cash.  Sound like a good deal?
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is 525 the average price for a 2022?  Just curious as I came across a deal from a guy for a NIB for $400 as he is needing the cash.  Sound like a good deal?

Hell yes. I paid $525 for mine 2 months ago..

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm I may have to look at it closer then.  Don't really need one but if its a good deal might buy it to hold on to.  Guy is a libtard, might rescue this baby lol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Pics of mine with shaved base plate on magazine. Paid $389 for mine new in 04,  these didn't have the lanyard loop or the hooked triggerguard.  Also the first Gen rail were proprietary and snag-free.  Good idea to get a 2022 for use where you can have a light attached, and find a good cond. 2340 for concealment. The plus is the mag interchangeability..
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
My 2022 was my first gun––I really like it despite the polymer frame––Rainier Arms hooked me up with it about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I like what you did. I would consider doing it to mine, but like an above poster said my pinky would hang off.  Do you think they will ever make more accessories for this gun?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks good. I will be doing the same to mine as soon as I get my CCW.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Bud's is running a sale on SigPro 2022 .40 with nite sights and two mags for $439 shipped. had to get one myself even though I haven't gotten my 9mm 2022 out their layaway........they coulda waited....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
off topic but cdnn has 2022 9mm mags on sale for $25 this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top