Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 6:07:21 AM EDT

I was very suprised to see a Stainless Steel Bushing.  I thought it was also going to be parkerized.  I like the stainless better.

I am going to the range this weekend, to shoot it with its stock parts.  Then next week I am going to put these parts in.  I will post another pic after I change the parts out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Those part are the EXACT same modifications I made to my Milspec. Great minds think alike. There is one exception, though. I noticed you are substituing a long trigger for the stock short trigger. You sure you want to do that? For all I know you're 6-4 with monstrous hands. At my size the stock short trigger is a MUCH better fit.

Very nice pistol, sir.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Those part are the EXACT same modifications I made to my Milspec. Great minds think alike. There is one exception, though. I noticed you are substituing a long trigger for the stock short trigger. You sure you want to do that? For all I know you're 6-4 with monstrous hands. At my size the stock short trigger is a MUCH better fit.

Very nice pistol, sir.

Thanks for the complement
and thanks for noticing that.
Because I did not.

I have medium hands.  I did not see short or long, I just saw the trigger I wanted and it said 1911 trigger, so I ordered it. I wanted spacificaly the trigger with the three rounded triangles cut in it(for looks), so that is what I got.

It was only $15 for the trigger, so if I do not like it I will just get another one.  I will let you know how it turns out.

I have fired my friends Kimber Custom II's, and I think they have the long trigger now that I think about it.  I shot them very well.  I will just have to see how I like it.  I can always go back.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a real supprise get a group gripper and a match bushing from Wilson.  

I have a stainless Colt 1991 that shot ok, when I got it.  I add the same trigger, hammer, sear, the group gripper with full guide rod, match bushing and reduced power main spring.  Now this thing is deadly. Trigger pull is sweet. I also added a stiffer recoil spring, ambi safety, extended release.  

The best bang for the buck was the group gripper!

Ron
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Are those parts "drop in"

Hilton Yam said the only beavertail that fits on the Springfield Milspec, due to the shape of the frame, is the Wilson Combat.

Are you going to Remove the ILS?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hilton Yam said the only beavertail that fits on the Springfield Milspec, due to the shape of the frame, is the Wilson Combat.

The ILS is in the mainspring and I don't think it will have any impact.  All the parts say they are just drop in.  I won't know until I try.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ILS is in the mainspring and I don't think it will have any impact.  All the parts say they are just drop in.  I won't know until I try.

The ILS uses a shorter stiffer mainspring. Standard Mainspring is 23lbs. ILS is closer to 27LBS. By replacing the ILS with standard components, i took at least 1lbs off the trigger pull weight.

You can further reduce triggger pull weight by going with a 18.5# recoil spring and a 19# mainspring. Remeber, the mainspring obsiorbs the initial recoil of the handgun, before the recoil spring even starts to work. So if you decrease the mainspring weight below the standard 23Lbs, you must increase the Recoil spring rate to compensate, or you'll batter the frame.

It that a McCormick trigger in the second pic, i like the looks of it. and who's hammer is that?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The trigger and hammer look like CMC stuff, and I assume the sear is as well.  Is that a King's #204 grip safety, or Wilson Combat?  

I think the modifications you are planning are pretty popular with the Milspec.  They're the same I did also (used the King's grip safety).  Only other thing I did was get rid of that stupid ILS crap.  I REFUSE to have a keylock on a pistol, rifle, or anything.  Just one more thing to go wrong.  Next mod:  Night sights! (although, some machining will have to be done to cut the dovetails)

Good luck, and good pistol!

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the Kings beavertail as well. It is supposed to be the correct radius for the Springfield.

I want night sights as well. The factory staked on front site is canted to teh left, and the original rear site is hanging off the slide slightly on the right --- but it shoots awfully straight! What options are available for tritium sights? I would rather not have to send it off to get front and rear dovetail's cut.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I used the Kings beavertail as well. It is supposed to be the correct radius for the Springfield.

I want night sights as well. The factory staked on front site is canted to teh left, and the original rear site is hanging off the slide slightly on the right --- but it shoots awfully straight! What options are available for tritium sights? I would rather not have to send it off to get front and rear dovetail's cut.

I took it to a gunsmith when I got night sights on my Glock 19, and he said that they could stake in night sights normally, but the post in the front on the Milspec is smaller diameter than normal (I think is what I remember).

My front sight is canted to the left as well.  Shoots pretty straight, but I don't like the sights on it.  Eh, gunsmith says he can get the slide dovetailed for a nominal fee, so I may do that.  I wonder if it includes re-parking (probably not)
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
very nice pistol!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
It will almost look like my Mil-spec.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I like you mil-spec tzyck!

ALL parts are Chip McCormick

EZ fit sear, trigger, and hammer

and yes the Beavertail saftey is also CMC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting to see all you guys buying Mil-Specs and then making them Space Guns.

I think I would change out the sights only.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Uh, if all parts are CmC, that grip safety may not work without frame modification.  I was originally going to get all CmC parts, but the grip safety wouldn't work without extreme frame mods.

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot it.  So smooth, I love it.

It shoots low but straight and tight grouped.  I want to try better ammo.

I tried to put the new parts in.  Having never taking a 1911 apart before has made stripping the thing down all the way quite fun.  But I know how every part fits now, and can do it with out looking at the book every 5 seconds.

DANG YOU!!! you were right!  all parts fit EXCEPT the Beavertail.  and the hammer will not work with the stock grip saftey.  so I have to either put the spur hammer back on, or get a beavertail that fits.

What beavertail do you have that works in teh Mil-Spec???????????????????????????

Model number??
Link to website you bought it from??

Here is a pic
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
DANG YOU!!! you were right!  all parts fit EXCEPT the Beavertail.  and the hammer will not work with the stock grip saftey.  so I have to either put the spur hammer back on, or get a beavertail that fits.

What beavertail do you have that works in teh Mil-Spec???????????????????????????

Model number??
Link to website you bought it from??

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7642&s=19118#19118

It's the one with the arrow next to it.  Brownells part number 487-204-001.  Dropped right in, no fitting.  The only thing that needed fitting was the thumb safety.  The engagement surface was rounded rather than flat, so it didn't engage "with authority", but kinda just eased into "safe".  but it could knock out if I wasn't careful.  I filed the surface flat, matching the contour of the old safety, and the problem was solved.  Good luck,  man!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I shot my milspec yesterday in an IDPA match... It ran good, but I need some serious practice!  I shot better weak handed than strong hand.

I'm lucky that I don't get bitten or chafed by the stock grip safety, so I don't think I'm going to replace it with a beavertail.  I dropped in a trigger that a friend gave me.. it's black plastic (from a Colt, I think), and it's a little loose, so I'm going to replace that.  I want to keep the stock milspec appearance, tho, and most replacement triggers are stainless!  Darnit!

However, I might try that Group Gripper and maybe a match bushing... and I WOULD like to get a different MSH.  Got to find an arched one, again, want to keep the milspec appearance.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7642&s=19118#19118

It's the one with the arrow next to it.  Brownells part number 487-204-001.  Dropped right in, no fitting.  The only thing that needed fitting was the thumb safety.  The engagement surface was rounded rather than flat, so it didn't engage "with authority", but kinda just eased into "safe".  but it could knock out if I wasn't careful.  I filed the surface flat, matching the contour of the old safety, and the problem was solved.  Good luck,  man!

Thanks Gloftoe

It is ordered!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
and I WOULD like to get a different MSH.  Got to find an arched one, again, want to keep the milspec appearance.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8725 is the one I used.  They offer it in arched, and flat.  Don't forget to get a new mainspring.  The one in the ILS MSH is something like 28#, and much stiffer than stock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the tip on the Kings safety. It's cheaper than the Wilson Combat "drop in" that allegedly also fits the milspec.

Gloftoe, check yer IM....

I got rid of the ILS and used a Smith & Alexander Mainspring housing. Ed Brown has a tool steel MSH. Many are plastic, cast, or MIM.

BTW what weight of recoil spring and mainspring is everyone running?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#21]

I've changed out the slide stop and safety for stainless ones since this picture. I too been looking for a drop in beavertail grip safety ...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Springfield Mil-Spec Operator with an M3 tac light that I absolutely love.

I had some FTF's with it at first.  Put in the wilson group gripper with FLGR, and I haven't had any sort of failure since.  Fired all sorts of ammo, including JHP's, with no problems.

I also replaced the ILS bullshit with wilson parts, got a new mainspring, and my trigger pull is now at 4lbs, for a whopping 10 dollars worth of parts.  Replacement was very straight forward once you took it apart, and made the mil-spec one very sweet handgun.  I also replaced the recoil spring with a heavier 18.5 lbs spring, with some shok-buffs, and got the recoil down a bit too.

I own a 92fs, and an HK USP .40, and my run of the mill mil-spec is still my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#23]
done...sort of

I am also incountering some safety issues. BOTH safeties!  The new grip saftey does not like to engage without a little help.  I will have to smothe out the left edge that keeps dragging on the frame.  The slide saftey also does not smothly click into "safe".  have to push it a bit.

But it works, and it looks great.  Thanks for all your help.

Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine has a Parkerized bushing and barrel.  I'm not sure why there are some with park. and some with stainless.  It seems that if they call it a "Mil-Spec, then they should all be parkerized.

http://members.cox.net/rtset/Springfield%20main%20web.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my parts from Brownells yesterday and installed them today.

The Kings grip safety needed some light fitting to smothly engage. there were some rough mold/cast mark that were dragging, making a crunching sound when the grip safty was depressed. a little stoning and some cold blue cleaned it up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The slide saftey also does not smothly click into "safe".  have to push it a bit.

Yep.  I had the same problem with my thumb safety.  Get the one you pulled out of the pistol, and compare the engagement surface with the new thumb safety.  I'll be that the NEW one is a little bit rounded, or just more "bulky" looking.  Just file it down to match the stock thumb safety, and all your problems _should_ be solved.  File only a LITTLE at a time (I'm sure you know this)!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
no no no no, I am using the original thumb saftey.  The one that came with the gun.  I never got a new thumb saftey.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]
OR, you could have just gotten a "Loaded" model . Actually though, it sounds like you're having a heck of a good time.  'Course what you're doing is actually better than buying a current "loaded".  From what I understand they're using MIM parts.  I have a "loaded" from '98 (No MIM) and it runs like a champ.
Enjoy!

Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top