Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 9:40:50 AM EDT
I decided to take pics of all my 1911's so I thought that would make a good reason for a thread.  I've posted a couple in the picture thread but since I'm going to do all of them individually I'd just put them in one place.  I know my collection pales in comparison to some but I do have some interesting (at least to me) pieces so I figured "what the heck".  Anyway, I'll start with a group shot of just the Colts:

Let's start with the 1991A1 ORM:

Colt 1991A1 ORM with some work by the Colt Custom Shop.

Full de-horn
Gold Cup cuts on the front of the grip
Pony stamped on the slide
Refinish in matte blue

I fitted a short trigger, arched MSH with lanyard loop, wide 1911 hammer, hardball sights, and a 1911 small safety before the trip to Colt.  It's also wearing Spresser Knife Works Sambar Stag grips.

Next is the Officers Match:

One of 350 built.  Special run by the Colt Custom Shop in 1988.  Came as a matched set with the serial numbers on both slides.  I've got Spresser Knife Works buffalo horn grips on it and the original custom shop grips in the bag.  The foam in the case is a little worse for wear.  It was already fired by the time I got my hands on it so I've put a little through both slides.  The 5" slide shoots like a regular Gold Cup.  With the Officers slide on its snappier but of course has a great trigger.  I've even carried it a few times with the Officers slide on "just because".

A little closer shot:

I'll update this every couple of days with more pics of the collection.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I kinda Hate you. Please keep putting up more pics. I have NO 1911's. I have two Hi-Powers, a Glock(issued) and a Mark III. I want a 1911, but what do I get?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, that makes me feel a little better about my addiction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice set.

Showcase the bottom - right with the star grips next?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Man that is a pic full of happy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Please may we see the 1911, inside and out, next to a 1911A1?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
WOW.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice set.

Showcase the bottom - right with the star grips next?
View Quote

Thanks all.  The bottom right with star grips is a Colt Night Defender.  It was a Talo special edition with a tritium front sight.  I put on a set of Spresser Sambar stag grips and the star is buffalo horn (starting to see a pattern?).  I can take some pics of it tonight.  Of the pistols shown I probably carry it the most.  Very comfortable in a DM Bullard Bodyguard with an untucked shirt or light jacket.

Also, on the 1911 vs. 1911A1, Yea I can do that.  My 1911 is a 1917 Colt and I also have a 1944 Remington Rand 1911A1 that is all original/matching numbers.  It's not in the big picture as it's not a Colt.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow! I don't even have a 1911. My girlfriend does tho...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
No GI A1?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No GI A1?
View Quote

Yep, I've got one.  It's a Remington Rand though and that picture is just my Colts.  It'll make an appearance in this thread in time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice! The one on the bottom right with the Star on the grip has piqued my interest. Can't wait to hear about that one!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
As requested here's the Night Defender:

She's a Talo special run two tone Colt Night Defender.  Came with a tritium front sight.  I swapped the grips for a set of Spresser Sambar Stag grips.  The insert is buffalo horn.  As mentioned I carry this one quite a bit.  It's got a lightweight frame so it carries really well in a DM Bullard bodyguard.

This one's another Talo special edition.  It's a CCO (Commander slide on an Officers frame).

Only change on it is a set of Ahrends grips.

Third tonight is a Colt New Agent 9mm.  I also carry this one quite a bit.  This has Spresser grips as well, but these are ivory.

Here's the New Agent in a DM Bullard hand carved Bodyguard holster:

Last one tonight is a Colt Enhanced Officers Model.  This one is bright stainless.  It's not a lightweight so it has a steel frame.  I've got a set of Spresser Buffalo horn grips on it.  I don't carry it often as I'll admit to be scared of messing up the finish.  The picture does not do it justice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice, Thank you! I looked that one up, You definitely upgraded the look of that one with those grips!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a nice collection of Colts, how about some picture's of the other manufacturers?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Screw it....  Took a couple more pictures tonight.

The first non-Colt pic:

Springfield TRP Operator.  I use this one as a suppressor host.  Swapped in a Storm Lake threaded barrel and converted to a standard guide rod.  I also put on VZ grips.  I usually run the pictured Surefire X300V on it as well.  It's a pretty sweet setup and the factory adjustable night sites will clear the Silencerco Octane I usually have on it.

Here she is from a year or so ago when it still had Ahrends Tactical grips on it as well as its usual Octane 45HD.  Ignore the 11.5" SBR....

Ok, back to our regular programmed Colts....

Colt Stainless Rail Gun.  This one is from 2011 and has the "100 years" scroll mark on the slide.  Only change is a set of VZ grips and the Surefire X300U-B.  I also swapped in a mainspring housing with a lanyard loop.  I just like having the option....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
More Colt pics tonight.....

Colt M45A1:

Bone stock and will probably stay that way.  It is one sweet piece!  Fit and finish is excellent.  The pistol feels like a solid chunk of steel in your hands.  Feels every bit the fighting sidearm that it is.

Another Stainless Gold Cup.  Early series 80 that came with a collet bushing.

This one has had a little work by a local smith.  A beaver tail was put in, bobbed hammer, Millet sights, beveled mag well, and a Brown barrel bushing.  I also stuck some Ahrends Tactical grips on it.  I shoot this one quite a bit in a local informal pistol league.  It shoots better than I can (that really isn't saying much though...).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, this is pretty much the end of the ones that are easy to get to.  The rest require some digging through the safes.

Another Gold Cup, the last one.  This one is a more recent blued Enhanced model.  I pulled the rubber grips off and put on a set of, wait for it.......  Spresser Buffalo Horn grips.  It also has a lanyard loop mainspring housing but is otherwise bone stock.

I can honestly say I've only shot it once.  Picked it up new probably ten years ago.

This one is a Wiley Clapp Commander.  I love the feature set.  Series 70 action, aluminum frame, gold dot front sight, checkered front strap.  It shoots and carries very well.  I know you guys are going to be totally shocked by this, but it wears a set of Spresser Sambar Stag grips........

Last but not least this morning is an Enhanced Combat Commander.  It's a steel frame model.  Due to a long story from the previous owner it had to make a trip back to Colt for a refinish.  I had the Custom Shop refinish it in their royal blue.  The picture does not even come close to doing the finish justice.  It's the deep Python blue.  Looks like you can put your hand into it.  Only changes otherwise is a lanyard loop MSH and of course another set of Spresser Sambar Stag grips.

Here she is in a full DM Bullard Tigershark rig:
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice collection OP!  One of these days I need to pop over to Bullard.. his shop is about 5 minutes away from the house.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice collection OP!  One of these days I need to pop over to Bullard.. his shop is about 5 minutes away from the house.
View Quote

You should.  I've got a large collection of his leather and I've been very happy with all of it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Just a little update tonight.  Colt Combat Commander:

This one went to Robar many years ago for their reliability package along with a full NP3 coating.  Last year I sent a spare Nowlin extended barrel in to ADCO and had them chop and thread it.  Now I use this as one of my suppressor hosts.  I've got a set of Silencerco tritium suppressor sights for it but I need to send it off for Novak cuts so I can install them.  I'll get around to it at some point.  Of course she wears a set of Spresser Buffalo Horn grips.

Here it is with a Silencerco Octane 45k on the end:

The last for this evening is a bone stock Remington R1 Enhanced Threaded barrel:
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Good god, that's a lot of 1911's. I'm really envious.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Great collection.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#24]
"I know my collection pales in comparison"

OP is a..........wait for it.....................................bastard.

Very, very nice sir.

In all my years I've owned a total of 10 1911's. 8 Colt's & 2 SA's

I gave my oldest a Colt Combat Elite & an SA Loaded. Youngest got a SA Loaded.

I only have 2 now. A Colt WC Service & a WC CCO.

Long story short, I'm jealous.

With that stated, post as many pic's as you like. Oh, and I really like your little write up's, hence the "wait for it" in my 1st comment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, we're starting to get close to the end now.  Got a couple more interesting ones.

This is a 1971 Colt Combat Commander 9mm.  It's in satin nickel.  Fairly rare combo.  I purchased it from a Secret Service agent.  Had no idea as I was conversing with him on a forum.  He wanted to talk while we were finalizing the transaction so for convenience sake I gave him my office number.  I'll admit to a double-take when I saw the caller ID pop up "United States Secret Service"......

It's of course bone stock.

Now, for the older stuff.  This is a 1918 Colt 1911.  Unfortunately it's been through a lot.  Redone at an arsenal at some point then after leaving the service it was refinished.  At that time the lanyard loop was cut off and the US property markings were taken off.  Other than that it's in good shape.  When I got it I detail stripped it, cleaned it thoroughly and replaced all the springs.  I've only run one mag of hardball through it and it'll get a pampered life with me.

Here's my all correct '44 Remington Rand.  It's of course got a story behind it but thankfully I've got some documentation to back it up.  I purchased it from the gentleman that carried it in Europe in 44.  He went in to Europe after D-day and spent some time "roaming around" France.  I've got copies of his discharge papers as well as a written account.  He brought his sidearm home with him.  He had no children and wanted it to go to a good home.  I gave him a fair price and promised him it would go to my son.  It's one of my prized possessions and at some point will end up in a display case with my other WW2 weapons.

It's of course been detail stripped, cleaned, and re-sprung.  It was mighty dirty and the barrel is a little pitted but it's original.  I've only shot it once but I intend to do more with it.  Of course it's U.S. Property marked and all the right numbers match.

Ok, I'm getting a little out of my lane with this one, but it fits in with the last two so please forgive me.....  A 1918 Smith and Wesson model 1917 45acp.  It's both US Property marked as well as having British proof marks.  If it could tell stories.....

Not sure how well this one came out but these are the proofs on the barrel.  There is also a mark on the cylinder.

I've got a couple more 1911's to snap pictures up and might get around to it tonight.

ETA- I'm making a thread in the revolver forum as well.  What the heck, right?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice collection! Which one is your very favorite?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice collection! Which one is your very favorite?
View Quote

Man, I'd have to say the Remington Rand would be the one I'd part with last.  I shoot the stainless Gold Cup the most and probably carry the Night Defender the most.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I would be very proud of that collection, I think most guys would.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice collection indeed. Thanks for sharing. Regarding the ones you fire, what products do you prefer for cleaning and lubing. If any are seldom fired, what do you treat them with? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The first non-Colt pic:
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/20170223_215953_zpsskalyqvu.jpg

Springfield TRP Operator.  I use this one as a suppressor host.  Swapped in a Storm Lake threaded barrel and converted to a standard guide rod.  I also put on VZ grips.  I usually run the pictured Surefire X300V on it as well.  It's a pretty sweet setup and the factory adjustable night sites will clear the Silencerco Octane I usually have on it.

Here she is from a year or so ago when it still had Ahrends Tactical grips on it as well as its usual Octane 45HD.  Ignore the 11.5" SBR....
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/20150525_122046_zps8m0cv4fl.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/20170223_220121_zpshkhsyzhn.jpg

Colt Stainless Rail Gun.  This one is from 2011 and has the "100 years" scroll mark on the slide.  Only change is a set of VZ grips and the Surefire X300U-B.  I also swapped in a mainspring housing with a lanyard loop.  I just like having the option....
View Quote

the barrel on the TRP...drop in? or fitting required?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first non-Colt pic:
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/20170223_215953_zpsskalyqvu.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/20150525_122046_zps8m0cv4fl.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/20170223_220121_zpshkhsyzhn.jpg

It actually dropped in and fits good.  Shoots great.

Got some new grips for one of the Stainless Gold Cups:

Sambar Stags on the Smiths and Giraffe bone on the Colt.  All from Spresser.

On the lube question, I've had good luck with Froglube and that's what I've been using to good effect for the last couple years.

I've still got a couple more to dig out of the safe and will try and post them up tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top