Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:16:00 AM EDT
OK, I plan on getting a new handgun in the next couple of days.  I have already visited the gun store and looked at a few and have narrowed it down to the M&P in 40.  Although I do not currently plan on carrying concealed, I am leaning towards the compact because of the smaller frame.  I'm just curious what all I will be losing if i go with the compact rather than the full size.  I have read that some accuracy will be lost with the smaller sight radius, but I'm not sure other than that.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Recoil on the compact is a tad more snappy, though still manageable.

Compact will have 10 rds versus 15 with the full size. You can use the 15 rd mags in the compact, but you'll want to get a spacer to take up the extra length.

If your hands are very big at all, you'll probably want to get an extra finger ledge for the second magazine on the compact. The grip is small enough that your pinky finger will hang off the end otherwise. S&W will send you an extra if you call 'em.

Compact also has a shorter rail, so from what I've read some lights won't mount on it properly.

There's probably more, but I think that hits most of the big points. The difference in accuracy due to smaller sight radius isn't that significant and can pretty much be taken care of with practice/training.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the better question is what do you gain by getting the compact?

While the M&P40C is probably the nicest shooting sub-compact size .40, is will have a shorter sight radius, more muzzle flip, smaller grip, and smaller magazine capacity than the full size. You can negate some of this by using a full size mag with grip sleeve, but you'll still have the shorter right radius and more muzzle flip.

I've owned both and was impressed with the M&P 40C for its size, but the full size is easier and more fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you plan on carrying there's no reason to get the compact.  In fact, I'd actually suggest getting the even bigger Pro Series with a full length barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I can tell shooting them, you won't end up gaining anything trying to conceal the C model. You'll end up using the larger mags, or at the very least getting the pinky extension and it then becomes close to the same, but losing all the positives of the full size.

Just get a super tuck and conceal the full size.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 9c and I wish I wouldn't have bought it. I think it is only called "compact" because it fits in purses or glove boxes easier because you sure as hell can't conceal it any better than a full size. The right shirt will hide either just fine.

Soooo, if your not planning to carry it, why not get the 9mm. Ammo is 50% less expensive and with quality defensive rounds its just as effective.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my 40c and it does conceal easier than the full size.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been carrying a full size M&P 40 CCW for several months now - no problems, and man it shoots nice!
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a 9c and I wish I wouldn't have bought it. I think it is only called "compact" because it fits in purses or glove boxes easier because you sure as hell can't conceal it any better than a full size. The right shirt will hide either just fine.

Soooo, if your not planning to carry it, why not get the 9mm. Ammo is 50% less expensive and with quality defensive rounds its just as effective.

I'd like to echo this sentiment as well.  I wanted to start out with a small gun, because I was afraid of being found out.  But honestly, I think you could CC a full size M&P about as easily as the compact models.  I wish I'd gone with the full size model, but oh well.  Live and learn.  1911 next time.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I bought the full size m&p 40 yesterday, love it so far. will be hitting the range tomorrow for some long awaited range time with my AR and new M&P!   Thanks for the helpful replies.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
wise choice
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
In my last go around trying to decide between compact and full size, I was watching one of the many fantastic Hickock45 presentations on youtube, particularly this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddP7IHHnM4A&feature=channel

where he goes over the different sizes.  Of course he's talking Glocks, but the principle is the same.  It's a good video and if you haven't heard of this guy before, watch some of the videos.  I decided on the .40 C.  Since I reload and shoot 180 grain cast at light loadings, the compact is an absolute dream to shoot.  Easy to carry too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have to disagree.  The compact with the flush mag is the same height as a Kel Tec P-11.  The compact absolutely is easier to conceal than a full size.  I usually carry my full size M&P .40 but sometimes I go to the M&P compact 9mm like if I'm going to the playground with my little guy and will be bending over or really moving around alot.  Granted the compact isn't as narrow as some others out there, and it has a 3.5" barrel as opposed to a 3", but the height is what really matters when it comes to being able to "hide" it.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one of each size and brought them both to a recent ICE CFS class.

I used the compact the first day and had all sorts of problems because the grip was just too small.  If I was trying to do a speed reload while moving, as often as not I wasn't seating the magazine properly, and would end up having to do endless tap rack and bang drills to get the gun back in action.

The second day I used the full size M&P40 and had absolutely no problems.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've been carrying a full size M&P 40 CCW for several months now - no problems, and man it shoots nice!

Me too except I've been carrying for the last two years.   It hides nicely with an IWB.  In the winter I do alternate with a full size SIG P226 as jackets help conceal these better.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot a friends 357C today and I'm very impressed at the lack of recoil. It was easy to get back on target and shoot well.

I shoot a Glock 23 and 35 so a M&P was a different animal to me.

Makes me want one now, if only I can find one that takes Glock 40 mags!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I just shot an M&P 40c earlier today. Very snappy recoil. Strange thing: My grip kept hitting the mag release or something, because the slide wouldn't lock back on last round, because the mag wasn't locked in anymore. (I ensured it was locked before I started shooting, so it could have only happened DURING shooting...)

Amazing thing is, it fired just fine, but the slide wouldn't lock back... That was the only negative effect.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just shot an M&P 40c earlier today. Very snappy recoil. Strange thing: My grip kept hitting the mag release or something, because the slide wouldn't lock back on last round, because the mag wasn't locked in anymore. (I ensured it was locked before I started shooting, so it could have only happened DURING shooting...)

Amazing thing is, it fired just fine, but the slide wouldn't lock back... That was the only negative effect.

If it was an older M&P you might have been experiencing the old defective mag catch issue they had. It seemed more common in the .40 versions, most likely due to the snappier recoil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was an older M&P you might have been experiencing the old defective mag catch issue they had. It seemed more common in the .40 versions, most likely due to the snappier recoil.

It was a rental and had a lot of rounds through it... I'd guess it was an older model! Also had the right side of the ambi slide release broken off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top