Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/30/2003 7:05:29 AM EDT
Wife is ready to try IDPA. I am teaching her the ropes with my model 17. Everything is going OK except the mag release. She is having a tough time with the button. She cannot push it hard enough to drop the mag.
I have already tried having her "turn" the grip slightly, no real improvement. Need to lighten it up somehow.
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:32:30 AM EDT
would getting an extended mag release button help?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:34:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2003 8:36:09 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:52:37 AM EDT
IDPA rules won't allow an extended button on the mag release. "too gamey".
I was wondering if the spring could be weakened and still be reliable. I was thinking of cutting it down a coil or two to see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:55:46 AM EDT
My understanding is that you can add a glock factory mag release. The reasoning is that you can order a Glock 17 from the factory with the extended mag release. It was mentioned in one of the many updates. IDPA needs to do a total revision of their rules, to include all their updates.

My advice is to go play IPSC/USPSA. Much more fun, less restrictive.

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:27:22 AM EDT
I have done IPSC for 15 years or so. I agree with your comments.
However, I moved recently to Findlay and there is not an active IPSC club within 2 hrs of me. I have an IDPA club 10 minutes away.
Jusy classified and got safety officer certified last weekend.
Plus, the slower strings, close targets and low round count is a less intimidating way to get the wife started.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:55:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kyreb:
Wife is ready to try IDPA. I am teaching her the ropes with my model 17. Everything is going OK except the mag release. She is having a tough time with the button. She cannot push it hard enough to drop the mag.
I have already tried having her "turn" the grip slightly, no real improvement. Need to lighten it up somehow.
Any ideas?

The mag catch spring is just a straight wire. Just remove the mag catch the spring and bend the spring a little at a time, reassemble and keep bending until you like it. It's very easy to disassemble it following these intructions glockmeister.com/magrel.shtml
Top Top