Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2003 7:05:29 AM EDT
Wife is ready to try IDPA.  I am teaching her the ropes with my model 17.  Everything is going OK except the mag release.  She is having a tough time with the button. She cannot push it hard enough to drop the mag.
I have already tried having her "turn" the grip slightly,  no real improvement. Need to lighten it up somehow.
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
would getting an extended mag release button help?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
IDPA rules won't allow an extended button on the mag release.  "too gamey".  
I was wondering if the spring could be weakened and still be reliable.  I was thinking of cutting it down a coil or two to see.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
My understanding is that you can add a glock factory mag release. The reasoning is that you can order a Glock 17 from the factory with the extended mag release. It was mentioned in one of the many updates. IDPA needs to do a total revision of their rules, to include all their updates.

My advice is to go play IPSC/USPSA. Much more fun, less restrictive.

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done IPSC for 15 years or so.  I agree with your comments.
However, I moved recently to Findlay and there is not an active IPSC club within 2 hrs of me. I have an IDPA club 10 minutes away.
Jusy classified and got safety officer certified last weekend.
Plus, the slower strings, close targets and low round count is a less intimidating way to get the wife started.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wife is ready to try IDPA.  I am teaching her the ropes with my model 17.  Everything is going OK except the mag release.  She is having a tough time with the button. She cannot push it hard enough to drop the mag.
I have already tried having her "turn" the grip slightly,  no real improvement. Need to lighten it up somehow.
Any ideas?

The mag catch spring is just a straight wire.  Just remove the mag catch the spring and bend the spring a little at a time, reassemble and keep bending until you like it.  It's very easy to disassemble it following these intructions glockmeister.com/magrel.shtml
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top