Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 11:51:31 AM EDT
The front sight tool is only $10 so no big deal, but the rear sight tool can be upwards of $125.
Hate spending $100+ for a tool that gets used once.
Many dealers selling the sights will do the work for free, but that is $15 shipping each way for the slide.
Ok, so that is $30 just for shipping of that $100+ so really only losing out on about $70+, but still a good chunk of change.
Who else has a HUGE box of parts and tools they only used once?

Although I hate to do it I may spend the cash as the tool "may" be useful if slight adjustments need to be made.

Anyone buy the tool and wish they opted to just send in the slide?
Anyone send in their slide and which they opted to just buy the tool?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
My local gun shop installs any sights I order through them for free. See if you have any in your AO that do the same. If not, I would send it out
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Send the slide to Glock directly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy the MGW sight pusher or find a local store or Glock Armorer to do it for free.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the sight tool.  You will need it more than once over time trust me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a vise, all you need is a hammer and a brass punch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Since posting I have been searching some more and found this.

Only $100 and can get a package deal when buying sights which saves $14.

So, the $14 I save goes toward the $100 which gets me down to only spending $86, but then save $15 each way and now only spending $56.
Hmmm, it may not be as bad as I thought.

These are the silly mind games I play to justify buying stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  A file can also help if you need to file the bottom of the sight, etc.  Go to Dawson Precision's youtube videos where he has videos on changing out glock sights with a vise, hammer, and punch.  Dawson precision also sells plastic tipped punches, files, etc for sight install.  

No reason at all to invest in sight tool.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yep.  A file can also help if you need to file the bottom of the sight, etc.  Go to Dawson Precision's youtube videos where he has videos on changing out glock sights with a vise, hammer, and punch.  Dawson precision also sells plastic tipped punches, files, etc for sight install.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except that it's simpler, more precise, and allows you to fine tune the sight alignment at the range.  I bought a used MGW tool, much better method then the hammer and punch system.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
How many Glock's do you have?  How many of the others that shoot with you also have Glock's?  We have several, several of the people that we shoot with have Glock's so it was worth me getting the 'proper' tools to help maintain them.  The cost is worth not having your guns up an running.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, just found this which may be a better way to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the straight edge MGW sight tool.  You'll be able to fine tune adjustments easily and the thing makes sight install easy
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I just went through the same thing, I opted to order the tool. I'm glad I did, when I buy another Glock in the future I will likely upgrade the sights. I also have friends that have Glocks
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get the straight edge MGW sight tool.  You'll be able to fine tune adjustments easily and the thing makes sight install easy
View Quote

This is what I have, works on straight sided sights or angle. Use heat shrink on tool or a piece of business card between tool and angle sights as to not  leave a mark.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read a number of reviews on the MGW tool and nothing but good reviews.
I think I will opt for the tool I posted above since it is more of a universal tool and could use it on a few other pistols.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, just found this which may be a better way to go.
View Quote

Let us know how this works.  For the price, it seems like the logical solution.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My LGS charged $30.00 to install nights sights on my G21 AND they lubed it when they were done with it.

Can't hardly beat that price for having somebody who knows what he's doing install it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Ask in your HTF.  Chances are good someone local can help you out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've bought two MGW tools over the years and sold both. I'm about to buy my third. Do yourself a favor and just buy the tool and hold on to it. Its a good investment. But like someone else mentioned, try your hometown forum and see if anyone local has one. It only takes a few minutes to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. I've done many this way and all turned out nice.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just put a set of dawson on mine and they went in no problem with the tool they include,no need for a sight pusher tool.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just put a set of dawson on mine and they went in no problem with the tool they include,no need for a sight pusher tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Bent the tool. It took a long while and thinking the slide may have a slight issue.
Trying to avoid this again as I plan to replace some sights on a few items.
I think a universal tool may help prevent future headaches.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I did.
Installed Night sights for $57 and shipped back in brand new Glock case.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's what I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did.

How can you beat that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Perhaps I'm just a caveman....but I've never needed anything but a small hammer and a wooden dowel.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the caveman tools
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I ordered two sets of Glock night-sights from GT Distributing(like $114 +freight)...bought a deep 3/16" socket at NAPA and ground it thin for a front sight tool(about $9)...used a poly finger from a John Deere 930 header auger for a rear sight tool(punch).

Some loc-tite and twenty minutes and I had night sights on two Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
+1 on the caveman tools
View Quote

I used a brass punch on mine and it went easy. I'd still like to have a tool for fine tuning my 50 yard zero but it isn't impossible with punches.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#30]
DIY using a clamp used to attach a cab to a truck bed
http://www.triangletactical.net/2012/05/02/diy-glock-sight-pusher/

C-clamps from your local hardware store 3 2" clamps and 1 1" clamp. For the piece that actually pushes the sight, you could cut the foot off of it and make the tip look like the one in the first link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVObCaoF260
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Front sight , just hit it with a Dremel or grinder to make the diameter more narrow at the tip.

For the rear sight, use a Delrin or brass punch and a hammer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I have several Glocks, and I never keep the stock sights on them, so for me it was worth getting the rear sight tool.  My friends and family bring their Glocks to me to change their rear sight for them.  Guess it depends on your situation on whether or not it is worth it.  If you just have one glock and never plan to have any others, the I guess it would be tough to justify.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I've done the hammer/punch thing on a LOT of my handguns, but recently I found out one of my LGS has an MGW Glock sight tool I can use for free (angled version). I tried it with a set of suppressor sights and I was impressed with how simple and fast it was. So much so that I'm ordering one for myself (LGS is a 20 minute drive, one way ).
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry for the silly question but what is a brass punch?  Is it a punch made out of brass so it is softer than steel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry for the silly question but what is a brass punch?  Is it a punch made out of brass so it is softer than steel?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

yes.  you can also get plastic tipped punches as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Exactly that. I used a brass punch and a hammer on one I did. Came out good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Perhaps I'm just a caveman....but I've never needed anything but a small hammer and a wooden dowel.

View Quote

Last rear sight I put on I used a 375 caliber Barnes TSX projectile that was on my reloading table....

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The front sight tool is only $10 so no big deal, but the rear sight tool can be upwards of $125.
Hate spending $100+ for a tool that gets used once.
Many dealers selling the sights will do the work for free, but that is $15 shipping each way for the slide.
Ok, so that is $30 just for shipping of that $100+ so really only losing out on about $70+, but still a good chunk of change.
Who else has a HUGE box of parts and tools they only used once?

Although I hate to do it I may spend the cash as the tool "may" be useful if slight adjustments need to be made.

Anyone buy the tool and wish they opted to just send in the slide?
Anyone send in their slide and which they opted to just buy the tool?
View Quote

Do you have a small frame or large frame Glock?  If it's a small frame, I'll send you my OEM Glock rear sight tool and a front sight tool.   Just send it back when you're done. Send me a note if you're interested.

If you plan on adding Glocks, invest in the MGW tool for both small/large frames. You'll never look back.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#40]
i was gonna buy the tool until i went too my LGS and he has a sight pusher i just install the front with the tool and he installs the rear for 10 bucks. i tried do it myself and ruined 3 rear sights using a steele punch and rubber mallet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top