Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 8:48:08 PM EDT
I currently have Dawson MOS sights, which are .390 in the front and .395 in the rear. These sights are nearly absolute cowitness. I have trouble finding the dot if it is centered in the window. I'm looking for plain steel sights that are lower third cowitness. Trouble is, it seems most of the sights I've looked at (Zev, Ameriglo) don't list sight heights. I want sights that barely peak over the bottom of the RMR. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's Ameriglo suppressor sights on a milled slide with RMR.  They're just tall enough for the entire rear notch to clear the RMR.

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Zev .300 suppressor height in my Zevs and it gives me a lower 1/4 cowitness and does not block the dot with an RMR.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I currently have Dawson MOS sights, which are .390 in the front and .395 in the rear. These sights are nearly absolute cowitness. I have trouble finding the dot if it is centered in the window. I'm looking for plain steel sights that are lower third cowitness. Trouble is, it seems most of the sights I've looked at (Zev, Ameriglo) don't list sight heights. I want sights that barely peak over the bottom of the RMR. Any recommendations?
View Quote

Just curious...
Do you have Dawson's red fiber optic front sight, or something else?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the plain steel.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I also questioned the height of mine when I first put them on.  They weren't excessively high, but higher into the window of the RMR than I expected.  I sent them a photo of the sight picture, and they assured me that this was optimal.  I have multiple other guns with Dawson sights installed, and have been absolutely thrilled with all of the other ones, so I took their word for it on this.  After using it for around 1k rounds, I'm happy I did.  I asked you about the red fiber optic situation because I initially had mine set up that way, and was having trouble finding the RMR's dot due to the "other" red dot in the sight picture.  After switching out the fiber optics to the green ones that Dawson includes, all problems solved.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Just for the sake of comparison, here is a picture of mine.

Attachment Attached File

I would have purchased the Ameriglos already, but on paper the rear sight appears to be the same height as this Dawson, while pictures like in this thread seem to suggest it sights lower. The ZEV sights are more than want to spend, but seem like most surest option.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]
For me, I bought the Zev slide & RMR more or less sight unseen, and had never tried shooting a handgun with a RMR prior to my own.  I think coming from an AR with an Aimpoint or similar red dot optic, I was a little shocked at just how small the RMR window actually is, and how little you get to see through it (field of vision).  But after more use, it got much easier and now seems pretty natural.  I feel like I'm seeing the RMR's red dot more out of peripheral vision than anything else (shooting either both eyes open or with one closed) and it's easy to keep on the target even if the irons seem like they'd be in the way.  I'd suggest getting used to it before you do anything to the sights - you might end up feeling the same way.

Also try to keep in mind that your rear sight's height (in relation to the RMR) is partially determined by the height of the cutout / notch that you'd ordinarily be seeing the front sight through.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up ordering Ameriglo GL429 suppressor sights, despite the fact that on paper they are the same height as the Dawsons. In reality they are much shorter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Trijicon suppressor heights on a milled slide work perfectly. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top