Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2019 8:22:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#1]
That is such an odd occurrence.  I also had a barrel do this but not nearly as bad as what you show in the images.  It was a 44 mag barrel I think, but I don't remember now.  I always assumed it was the ammo I was using.

I put together a MK XIX slide in 357 a while back... long story short, it would not function well at all.  I polished and did "stuff" you should never have to do to achieve functionality.  It was a FACTORY ejector pin over-grind.  I bought it new 357Mag bolt, opened it myself and installed as was received.  Weakest ejections ever, if it even ejected.  Should have rented a slo-mo camera.  The slide was coming back just fine, it was the short ejector inside the bolt which was the problem. ($30 part for 357 by the way, and it IS different than 44/50)

I put some Buffalo Bore heavy/hot ammo in it and it wouldn't eject any better, so I knew something else was going on... being my first 357, I had not duplicate parts to test, and had no visual reference to know something was wrong.  I bought another bolt. (yeah, a $220 test part is crazy) and installed it right out of the package... instant 5ft ejections you could catch in a bucket.

My current favorite plinking ammo for 357mag is Aguila 158 gr SJHP.  I have put over 1000 rounds of it through my Desert Eagles now.  PPU is a bit hotter, but SO dirty... leaving that gritty sand like debris in the chamber until it has trouble seating in the chamber.  I don't have this issue at all with the Aguila.

Anyway, I am glad you got it back and it seems to be working.  I understand that cautious optimism.  My experience with Magnum Research has been dismal.  If the issue is something I can't correct, neither can they.  For "typical" problems, I think they do fine however.

If you have any more issues with it, please do share... I would really like to know if this is a barrel or ammo issue.

MrBlackCat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top