Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 5:39:14 PM EDT
Does anyone know the specs on the front dovetail for a Kimber Classic?  I've heard they use a non standard cut.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks John.

I've googled the hell out of this, and I couldn't find any consistent answers.  I too, have seen the .070 and .075 listed as the dovetail depth.  I've also seen the shoulder angle listed as 60 degrees, which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Originally, I was interested in getting a single front sight for one gun, and the Novak front/rear sight set for another, but Novak only offers the set in a single height.  Same with Trijicon, who also offers the Novak sights as a set.  Heinie also only offers a single front sight height for Kimbers.

I've currently got 3 sets of Novaks on various Kimbers, and I love their sights.  However, I need a .185 front sight for the ammo I shoot.  I've figured that I'm going to have to order a standard Novak in the height I want, and use a file to get it to fit in the dovetail.  One gun already has a rear Novak in the Kimber cut, so I'm just going to send it to tooltech for a tritium bar insert.

Anyway, the sight pusher should be here on Tuesday.  I figured I'd knock the old front sight out, and take some measurements.  I'll take the new sight and compare its measurements against the original.  That should give me some indications of how much fitting I'll need to do, and where.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I think you can just order a standard Novak front with tritium in .185" and be just fine.  Let me pull one out and see if it fits in the Kimber.  I'll post back later.

Edit:  I just measured my Classic Custom series 1.  It's the same as any other Kimber.  Anyway, it's .075" deep by .330" wide by 65 degrees.  The .185" Novak I had lying around fit's perfect in it, and it lines up with the front of the slide.  You will be fine ordering a standard government model Novak front at .185" high.  If you don't already have one, consider getting the 65 degree dovetail fole from Brownells, though it may be a moot point since you have a pusher.  Hope it all turns out well for you.Edit again:  I posted under my brother in law's username, so this is really me (hobbs5624).  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks John.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Springfield TRP w/ novaks, and I wish it were possible to but Mepros on the gun. I like them much better. It would be nice if they all used the same cut.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, For me, they are much easier to see in daylight. I can shoot better at the range w/ them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top