Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 12:14:16 PM EDT
I've removed the thumb safety on my other Kimber, but it wasn't ambidextrous. How does this thing come off?

I can't figure this darn thing out - it won't go together!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The two halves are EXTREMELY tight through the hole that retains the grip saftey.  You need to remove the left side as normal, using a "wiggle" method about 1/2 way between engaged and disengaged.  It may be necessary to use a blade inserted between the safety and frame (tape is your friend).  Once the left side is off, you will need to rotate the right side up and off (it's held in place by a modified hammer pin).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to get the left side off first.  With the slide off, cock the hammer and move the safety up to a half-on position.  Pull the left side lever out away from the frame.  Using a small, thin screwdriver to pry it off might be required.  It will pop off so go gently.  Once the left side is off, rotate the right side up so it clears the dovetail its attached to.  You'll see that the hammer pin has an extension that fits into this dovetail.  Its a really good method of attaching the two sides and keeping them together.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys - the screwdriver trick worked.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
bump for help with a new problem
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your IM.  LOL
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to the two of you who replied with instructions, and especially cliffy109 for your additional advice via IM. I finished the job, fortunately it only has a couple of small scratches on an otherwise brand new gun.

I replaced the trigger and added a flared mag well. Here it is -

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I may buy a KImber later this year, and I wanna add that kind of magwell too.

If I knock out the pin to remove the mainspring housing, - when I remove the housing, will I have to worrk about any other parts coming out. If I hold the gun upside down, is it just a matter of removing 1 housing, and then attaching the new one with the magwell? Or will have hve any internat parts to deal with?

What kind of magwell is that?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I may buy a KImber later this year, and I wanna add that kind of magwell too.

If I knock out the pin to remove the mainspring housing, - when I remove the housing, will I have to worrk about any other parts coming out. If I hold the gun upside down, is it just a matter of removing 1 housing, and then attaching the new one with the magwell? Or will have hve any internat parts to deal with?

What kind of magwell is that?

When you remove the pin holding in the main spring housing you then have to slide the MSH out. When you do this the grip safety can flip up and the leaf spring can fall out - it's not a big deal to get back in, but some people tape the grip safety on before removing the MSH.

It is not just a matter of sliding a new MSH on. You have to remove the old main spring from the old main spring housing and transfer it into the new one. It's helpful to have a third hand for installing that into the new MSH, but a vice will do.

Also make sure to correctly install the plunger and whatever else that other piece is called. There are two metal pieces that go in either end of the spring - one is dimpled and is installed with that dimple facing the hammer, the other has a cone on the end of it; the plain end of this piece is installed inside the bottom portion of the Main Spring with the cone facing downward (the tip of the cone is what engages in the little notch in the MSH retaining pin - you'll see the notch when you pull out the pin).

It is a Kimber mag well - another highly recommended mag well is a Smith & Alexander (check Brownell's).

Here's a link to detailed disassembly/assembly of a Kimber with big color pictures (it was a big help for me) -

www.kerensky.net/pics/series2/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top