Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 5:48:31 AM EDT
Hi All,

Looking at at Kahr CW9 at a great price. Anything I need to know before I purchase? I have not shot a Kahr, heard mixed reviews about them.

Thanks
Huck
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't own one. Shot one. Liked it alot. Not a 1911 not a Glock..in between?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There's at least one dealer here that refuses to sell them any more.

I have one and like it. I bought it used and have not had a malfunction. I put a Dawson presision tritium front sight and stippled the shit out of the grip.

I can shoot it better if I shoot a little faster. I have a hard time with it slow fire. I also shoot it better than any other single stack sub compact.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 9 and a 45. Compact, easy to conceal, shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a CW9, but we had a PM9 years ago.  Spent a pretty penny for that thing NIB w/night sights.  Worst...gun...ever.  Had constant malfunctions. Yes, went through the break-in period and quite a ways beyond that.  No joke (wish I took a picture): the frame internals looked as if it was cut out of a piece of plastic by a 10 year old with a hacksaw.  It was so bad that I thought, "Well, maybe this is just how they send their guns out?"    I should have sent it back, but I figured I'd sand all the burrs down.  I polished the feed ramp, which helped a bit (gun wouldn't go fully into battery).  Eventually, I put a heavier Wolf recoil spring into it and that got it to run right, but that made the slide so hard to operate that my wife just couldn't do it anymore, so we got rid of it.  

It was a really nice shooting gun though when it did work.  It was very small, but didn't feel terribly snappy, and the trigger, while very long, was incredibly smooth.  If I could find one that would run reliably, I would pick one up again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
What's a great price? Cheaper than a brand new S&W Shield with a $75 rebate?

I feel like Kahr has been eclipsed now that there are lots of other single stack striker fired options available.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a CM9 and I really like it.  I broke a Mag follower, and my front sight is plastic and needs to be swapped.  

It's been reliable and relatively trouble free.  It does what I need it to do.
I had a K9 years ago and I don't think I gave it a fair shot.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's at least one dealer here that refuses to sell them any more.

I have one and like it. I bought it used and have not had a malfunction. I put a Dawson presision tritium front sight and stippled the shit out of the grip.

I can shoot it better if I shoot a little faster. I have a hard time with it slow fire. I also shoot it better than any other single stack sub compact.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1503052443389912703261-283348.JPG
View Quote
How do you like the front sight? I need to upgrade the sight on my cm9.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the P9 which is 9 years and 2,000+ rounds old. It is the same gun as the CW9 with a few additions like night sights, different rifling, etc. It has never had a single bobble of any kind. Never. It just works regardless of what ammo I feed it. It was my only hot weather carry for eight years until I started supplementing it last year with a Glock 43.

Last year I bought a Kahr CW380 for a specific carry need where the gun had to be very small and stainless. It had a couple of jams during the first box of ammo and one with the second box. Since then it has been perfect. Kahr recommends a 200 round break in period and I fired all 200 rounds through the little .380 the first trip to the range. It now has about 500 rounds through it and I feel confident in its operation.

I have a number of different handguns and have owned a whole, whole lot more over the years. I'm not brand loyal to any gun company. If it works right and if I like it I keep it. If not then I rid myself of it. I am keeping both Kahrs. I have never talked with another local Kahr owner who has experienced the problems I have read about on the internet, although I would not doubt those people who have had problems.  

I don't recommend Kahrs, I just advise people of my positive experience with the only two I have ever owned.  Good luck in your choice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How do you like the front sight? I need to upgrade the sight on my cm9.
View Quote
No complaints. It's a tritium metal front sight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's a great price? Cheaper than a brand new S&W Shield with a $75 rebate?

I feel like Kahr has been eclipsed now that there are lots of other single stack striker fired options available.
View Quote
I paid $240 for mine as a lnib, but used gun. I bought it well before the shield, the g43, and the p938 came out. I'm not sure I'd trade it for any of them. It's not head and shoulders better than any of them but it's lighter than the Sig, thinner than the shield, more capacity than the Glock. Smoother trigger than all of them. Yes it's a dao type trigger but it's kinda enjoyable to shoot.

Starting over I'd probably get a g43 because of all the problems some people have with the kahrs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one about 10 years ago.  It was going to be my primary CCW.  The trigger bar broke before I got to 1000 rounds through the gun (it has a 200rd break in period).  It took Kahr Customer service nearly two weeks just to get me an RMA Number.  It took them nearly three months to fix the gun.  When I got my CW9 back it could not get through a box of new factory ammo without at least one light strike.  The thought of dealing with Kahr's customer service again was nauseating so I traded it for an XD and never looked back.  I liked my CW9, shot it fairly well, and it was very comfortable to carry, but I could not trust it and their customer service killed it for me.  Had the customer service been more responsive I would have given them at least one more try to make it right but that was just too slow.  Maybe they have gotten better, maybe not...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one several years ago that had a couple failures to feed in the first box of ammo through it. Never hiccupped after that with almost 1000 rounds through it. 

Recently got another one and have not had any issues but have only fired a couple of hundred rounds.

IME, the triggers are smooth and relatively light but with a long reset, which some don't like.

Will buy more if the price is good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a CW45 years ago and never had issues with it.  Surprisingly it had less recoil than the larger 3" barrel 1911 I had at the time.  Family members have had other Kahrs and I only know of one that had issues.  I think it was a K40 model (metal frame/slide, rubber grip) that was bad right from the start.  It sucked as that gun felt great in the hand with the weight of it.  It was sent in to be fixed and was good after that though.

Like others have mentioned, there are just so many options now days for sub compact pistols that you will probably find a lot more accessories/holsters for them than Kahr if that is a concern.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one authorized as an off duty carry a few years ago. I liked everything about it but a known issue at the time. If you sling shot the slide on a slide lock reload it will jam. If you use the slide release it works perfectly every time. I was okay with that until during a qual at work and was out of sequence with the other pistols on the line for reloads. Not thinking I grabbed the top of the slide to reload and hollow point into the feed ramp. Maybe they fixed the issue with newer guns but 5+ years ago even the owners manual said to only use the slide release. David
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had one authorized as an off duty carry a few years ago. I liked everything about it but a known issue at the time. If you sling shot the slide on a slide lock reload it will jam. If you use the slide release it works perfectly every time. I was okay with that until during a qual at work and was out of sequence with the other pistols on the line for reloads. Not thinking I grabbed the top of the slide to reload and hollow point into the feed ramp. Maybe they fixed the issue with newer guns but 5+ years ago even the owners manual said to only use the slide release. David
View Quote
Mine can be sling shotted
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the P9 and have been very happy with it.  The DA trigger is very smooth and its easy to shoot. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Do not own one but they are good pistols, triggers get better with use, and they are built well.  Only complaint is they require break in but Kahr disclaims it.  I have shot several variants and all were as accurate as I could shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine has been trouble free.  It's very accurate with 147gr, less so with 124gr +p.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#19]
This one is gently used, im not used to trigger, price works out to about $200 as it package deal. Sights will take some time to get used to.
Thanks for all the info, im going for it!
Huck
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Hard to go wrong at $200
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Moon Kook-jin (aka Justin Moon) product.  Would pass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Moon Kook-jin (aka Justin Moon) product.  Would pass.
View Quote
How come?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Ignore ^^^

My main carry is a Kahr CT9 in warmer months.  My only gripe is that I have large hands and the grip width front to back is slim and because of it, my finger overreaches the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How come?
View Quote
We use our dollars to vote.  Everyone can make their own choices. I choose not to support Justin or his family's businesses/church.  

Justin supposedly owns the company and it is therefore not owned or technically related to the Unification Church. (Although there appears to be conflicting information out there saying the Unification Church does own Kahr.)  

But, regardless, it is clear Justin is still heavily involved with his family's ever growing related companies and church. If you support Kahr, you are indirectly supporting the Unification Church, if only by giving him more money to enable him to spend time and resources on his family endeavors.  Even buying second hand you end up buying other stuff you may need from the company like magazines and parts or at the very least end up advertising for the company you choose. The Moons have made a great deal of money at the expense of others starting with their church and then branching into businesses.  I choose not to support that.

By the same token, for example, I will not watch anything with Tom Cruise in it and I try really hard not to buy firearm related products from behind enemy lines. (I am not perfect, I currently carry S&W until something better comes along).
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We use our dollars to vote.  Everyone can make their own choices. I choose not to support Justin or his family's businesses/church.  

Justin supposedly owns the company and it is therefore not owned or technically related to the Unification Church. (Although there appears to be conflicting information out there saying the Unification Church does own Kahr.)  

But, regardless, it is clear Justin is still heavily involved with his family's ever growing related companies and church. If you support Kahr, you are indirectly supporting the Unification Church, if only by giving him more money to enable him to spend time and resources on his family endeavors.  Even buying second hand you end up buying other stuff you may need from the company like magazines and parts or at the very least end up advertising for the company you choose. The Moons have made a great deal of money at the expense of others starting with their church and then branching into businesses.  I choose not to support that.

By the same token, for example, I will not watch anything with Tom Cruise in it and I try really hard not to buy firearm related products from behind enemy lines. (I am not perfect, I currently carry S&W until something better comes along).
View Quote
This is the first I've heard about the moon's and his church etc etc.
  I just got done googling it. From my quick 15 min search I'm going to have to agree with you. I will be staying far away from anything related to him and his companies.

Edit to add- there's more to it than just not supporting the moons.  I may have spoke to soon regarding kahr arms? Not sure to be honest.  Looks like they also own or are partners with magnum research and a few others?
  They sponsor John "tig" teigen also.  
   Looks like more research is needed to make a good decision regarding the company itself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is the first I've heard about the moon's and his church etc etc.
  I just got done googling it. From my quick 15 min search I'm going to have to agree with you. I will be staying far away from anything related to him and his companies.

Edit to add- there's more to it than just not supporting the moons.  I may have spoke to soon regarding kahr arms? Not sure to be honest.  Looks like they also own or are partners with magnum research and a few others?
  They sponsor John "tig" teigen also.  
   Looks like more research is needed to make a good decision regarding the company itself.
View Quote
Kahr Firearms Group owns Kahr Arms, Auto-Ordnance and Magnum Research, at the least currently.  From my standpoint that doesn't change anything, just more companies I would avoid.  If they bought my beloved BCM, I would stop buying BCM too.  Like I said before, it is a personal choice. I choose not to support the Moon family and their church.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I picked up a CW9 not long after they came out.  I had a handful of various malfunctions in the first couple mags, but it's been flawless with every ammo for the last 1,500 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How come?

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm happy with my cw9 it's my edc gun in a remora holster
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one and haven't had a single malfunction but I've only run 250 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of Federal HST hollow points through it.  Shoots well for me and although I would prefer a shorter pull and reset, the trigger is buttery smooth.  My only real gripe is mag price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I have owned seven different Kahrs over the years. Two have each had one single minor malfunction during the breakin period. I have found them to be more accurate than they should be for their size, and to have great triggers. Needless to say, I am a big Kahr fan. Had GLOCK not released the G43, I would still be carrying a Kahr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top